FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Unbelievable huh?

I didn't care for his lipstick on a pig comment either. He probably wasn't even thinking of Palin when he said it, but he and his buddies are making a lot of gaffs and goofs lately.

Of course, the way the "double standard" libs see it, all that is perfectly okay. But when a conservative says stuff like that the media and hollywood go nuts. :roll:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great, religious leaders getting involved in secular politics. You've got to love all the stupid people in this country, they are the leading cause for everything that gives me a headache.

Anyone here hear about the corruption scandal at the Department of Interior recently. Supervisors were rigging bids for the energy companies, energy companies were sponsoring getaways and hotel lodging for drunk Interior employees. Energy employees and Interior employees were engaged in sexual relations, ("In bed together"). Gotta love it.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
That dude in the first video is a fine examle of a man of God isn't he?

Damn, he compares Pilate to Palin and then starts rude name calling. Basically calling her those names, as well as any other governor. Is that how Jesus acted? How do hypocrite's like that sleep at night? :-?

I think that second dude thinks he's a rooster. That's quite a doo, dude.

·
Registered
630 Posts
not to be a wet noodle here but to clarify the strange idea that you have to keep religion out of politics is a recent false idea. Had we kept religion out of politics we would still be subjects of the queen of England.

it was the church that was the meeting halls the church organized the rag tag militia's and many of the pastors led them into battle.
turning our back on our own foundation has led to the mess we are in now.
those that fail to study history are doomed to failure

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I don't think that religious leaders should be involved in politics. I beleave in a seperation of church and state. Faith is a personal matter and should not be part of a political agenda. I have no problem with a morning moment of silence or prayer or anything like that, but I do not beleave in government financing of faith based "boondoggle" organizations.

The Government leaders should have nothing to do with religion, (officially), and religious leaders should stay out of politics. The Founding Fathers might have met in a church but they wrote for a need to have a "the seperation of Church and State", so they must have seen a need to clarify that line as well.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
devildoc said:
I don't think that religious leaders should be involved The Founding Fathers might have met in a church but they wrote for a need to have a "the seperation of Church and State", so they must have seen a need to clarify that line as well.
The "Separation of Chruch and State" was to keep the STATE out of religion, not religion out of the state.

Christianity was the foundation for our early government. The desire was to keep the STATE out of religion. Clearly they desired a Christ centered influence in their own lives and in the life of the USA.

·
Administrator
11,233 Posts
The "Separation of Church and State" position is solely this: It prevents the state from endorsing a form of religion in the government.

To put it in a nutshell, it means that the US Government can not endorse/start a religion like the King of England did when he started the Church of England, a breakaway religion and became the head of that religion.

No where in the constitution does it say that a religion/or religious practices can not be observed or participated in, just that the "state" can not endorse it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Get the facts straight guys, separation of church and state was created for the reason stated by HK SD9 Tactical. Try not to learn everything from your church or church bookstore.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Doesn't the tax code state that you cannot endorse a political candidate from the pulpit or you run the risk of losing your tax exempt status?

Zhur

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Zhurdan said:
Doesn't the tax code state that you cannot endorse a political candidate from the pulpit or you run the risk of losing your tax exempt status?

Zhur
That is what I have always heard.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The "Separation of Church and State" position is solely this: It prevents the state from endorsing a form of religion in the government
Right, I have no problem with officials religious beliefs, but in their official capacity, they just can't show favor on any religious group. At all.
I think that Jefferson and Madison were very clear on this matter.

So how is it Bush's "Faith Based Organizations" (Many of which were Bush supporters) were able to get $2.2 billion in tax payer grants? And thats legal? Sorry I don't see it.

As far as chaplins of any kind, indorsing or incuraging their flocks to vote in one way or another, then in my eyes, they are no longer protected in their status.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Zhurdan said:

Zhur
I don't know why they are tax exempt in the first place.

·
Administrator
11,233 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
Zhurdan said:

Zhur
I don't know why they are tax exempt in the first place.
They are considered tax exempt because they are 'charitable agencies' under the current tax code. However, if a leader of the church starts preaching politics from the pulpit, he/she/it risks loosing its exemption for becoming a political organization (which many churches do and get away with).

The same pertains to the Red Cross and any other tax exempt charitable agencies.

Very few have lost their tax exempt status in the overall scheme of things though.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Hmmm... most of the charity seems to go to the preacher! He gets paid to tell people about things he can't possible know and a place he has never been to. And gets to do it tax free. :-D

Sounds like a nice gig, but I wouldn't be able to sleep nights. :D

·
Registered
408 Posts
Most Churches don't work like the TV Evangalists. The Priest at my church uses the money for sustinance and to repair/upgrade the church and community center. They are putting in a Handicap ramp this year, they redid the roof last year and so on. Just because some religions are bad or you don't like a few, doesn't mean that they are all bad. :D

Zhur

·
Registered
408 Posts
Actually, I'm not sure, I never asked that question. I do remember him asking about tax forms last year though, but I don't know if it was for the church or for himself. He doesn't live high on the hog if that's any consolation. He lives in a single wide home on the church grounds, which serves as his office as well. He has a SUV that is about 4 years old, eats at (different) parishioners homes most nights, spends 90% of his day working, teaching, visiting the old and infermed. I'd say he's living a servants life.

By the way, he has an SUV because here in Wyoming, he wouldn't make it to the 2 other churches he gives Mass for in the winter (60 miles) without an SUV.

He also served a mission in Africa for 3 years where he went days without food, as did his parishioners. They ate bugs when they could find them, and worse when they couldn't.

I only mention this because when he says something in Church about politics, it's for prayers for someone. If he wants to speak his mind, he literally walks across the street and sits on the bench outside at the court house and talks to those who want to talk about politics. I thought that was a pretty smart way of going about it.

Zhur

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sounds like a good guy from this end, all the fathers at the Roman Catholic church that I attended when I was younger all drove a Mercedes or BMW. Kind of a lot of BS when the collection plate comes around (Is this money going to help the needy or make the Father's car payment?).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts