FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member here and i have a few questions for you guys.
1. Is the scar 17 in your opinion one of the best battle rifles i can purchase? I have several years of experience with ARs-M4s in and out of the military. However i have been hearing a lot about how great the scar is. And i am really itching to get my hands on one to see for myself how it handels compared to an AR. But im a little scared of the $2,600.00 commitmen.
2. If you guys do convince me i wont regret the purchase of a scar 17, what are some of your suggestions on what kind of optic to slap on the bad boy?
3. What is going to be the smartest way to order one?
4. What is going to be my max effective range on a point target with the 17?
5. How do you gentleman feel it compares to an AR10? (Because thats my other choice)
If you guys could help answer some of these questions it would be greatly appreciated. I really want one, i just need some more info from people that own the weapon so that i have better understanding to what im getting into.
Thank you

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Welcome. Do yourself a huge favor and dig around in the Scar17 forum. After about 2 hours of that you will be ready to take the plunge. There aren't many people (if any) who have purchased a 17 and got upset with its performance, reliability, and accuracy (less than 1MOA with Match ammo). Enjoy the community and be prepared to spend a boatload of money if you decide to stick around because it is inviteable.

Reactions: JamesUnruh

·
Registered
811 Posts
1. yes
2. the best you can afford
3. grabagun
4. 7-800 yards
5. more versatile and lightest .308 out there. I you wan't more accuracy you can spend more money on a GAP-10, Les Baer, or JP enterprise.
I agree with all of this except #2.

A lot of guys want these for bench/long range, but seemed like a waste for me. I wanted something light, quick, and powerful to move around with. Scopes are slow so I eventually opted for an Eotech and 3x magnifier. I won't be making precision shots at 600 yards with this combo but I can still hit a man at it. Anyway, I wanted something that would be AWESOME in the 300yds and below range. This gun with that combo can still make some pretty tiny groups within that range so it is perfect for me.

So yeah figure out what role you want it to play and then get the best you can afford that accommodates it.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
1. Heck yes, reliable as all get out, will shoot any ammo, accurate to MOA & perfectly balanced. It is good enough for Military branches around the world so.....

2. The weapon deserves a good optic and there are many optic threads for SCARS on the forum if you search.

3. Our forum sponsor www.strykerent.com just email him through the website - he carries the best stock of parts and all other goodies for the SCAR. You need the E.A.C.H. - just search the forum.

4. That all depends on your skills, the SCAR will not limit you in its combat range.

5. I don't know, don't have one.

Welcome and good luck.

1. Is the scar 17 in your opinion one of the best battle rifles i can purchase? I have several years of experience with ARs-M4s in and out of the military. However i have been hearing a lot about how great the scar is. And i am really itching to get my hands on one to see for myself how it handels compared to an AR. But im a little scared of the $2,600.00 commitmen.
2. If you guys do convince me i wont regret the purchase of a scar 17, what are some of your suggestions on what kind of optic to slap on the bad boy?
5. How do you gentleman feel it compares to an AR10? (Because thats my other choice)
If you guys could help answer some of these questions it would be greatly appreciated. I really want one, i just need some more info from people that own the weapon so that i have better understanding to what im getting into.
Thank you

·
Registered
123 Posts
i was all set on a new Ruger SR762,
but following the thread on M4carbine, and seeing all the issues people were having with the rifle and having to send the complete rifle back to ruger for repair work i decided the best choice for me was the SCAR17... and that's what i bought on the 24th of march.

with that being said, my first trip to the range was last friday..

i only had 2 boxes of ammo with me but i was very pleased with my choice of buying the SCAR, the rifle is a joy to shoot and better yet i was the ONLY one at the range with a SCAR17 !

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I just want to address the max effective range. With mil surplus german dag ammo I was hitting a 1 foot piece of steel at 600 yards every shot. This rifle is good, but its no bolt gun shooting 6 dasher rounds (at my club someone shot a new world record of 2.6 inch group at 1000 yards with 6 dasher). I'm not saying I know everything (or even much!) but this is a fine rifle for shooting people at long ranges, but again its not a sniper rifle. If you want to be able to hit someone in the eye at 1000 yards buy a bolt gun. Now if I can hit a 1 foot plate at 600 I could surely hit a person (even a prone person). And thats with military ammo. I would bet that you could hit 15-20 inch groups at 1000 with good ammo. The army says this round is effective out to 800 yards. I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I would be confidant that I could hit a person with a few shots at 1000. Maybe 1200 if I had time to shoot a full mag. For a battle rifle I think its top of the line for long range shooting out of the box.

Reactions: JamesUnruh

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome to the forum! There's a wealth of information here so jump in and start reading. Most questions you might have will probably have been answered previously.

1. In my opinion, yes. Powerful, reliable and just plain sexy!
2. Depends on what you are using the rifle for. Obviously precise shots at long range will require a longer range optic, but maybe you'd be satisfied with an RDS and a magnifier.
3. I'm fortunate in that I can order from MIL/LEO programs, which saves quite a bit. You mentioned you were in the military, so if you're a retiree or otherwise eligible I'd go the MIL/LEO route for purchase.
4. Like BigBuckeyeGuy said above, this is dependent on your particular skillset and optic choices.
5. The AR-10 is a fine rifle and quite a bit cheaper, but the SCAR will recoil less and won't have that annoying "buffer spring rattle". I rarely take my AR-10 out of the safe these days. Just my opinion.

Good luck and enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Are you so quick to forget the guy from a couple weeks ago who compared the bolt of a SCAR 17 with Colt M4's and decided he is too afraid to shoot such weak design. :D

Welcome. Do yourself a huge favor and dig around in the Scar17 forum. After about 2 hours of that you will be ready to take the plunge. There aren't many people (if any) who have purchased a 17 and got upset with its performance, reliability, and accuracy (less than 1MOA with Match ammo). Enjoy the community and be prepared to spend a boatload of money if you decide to stick around because it is inviteable.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
1. yes
2. the best you can afford
3. grabagun
4. 7-800 yards
5. more versatile and lightest .308 out there. I you wan't more accuracy you can spend more money on a GAP-10, Les Baer, or JP enterprise.
2. Most likely variable optic 1-6, 2.5-8, 2-10, maybe a 3-12. Quality optic. Nightforce, leupold, and the like. It just gets more expensive from there.

4. 800yds or so. Search member fmsniper and he's pushed the rifle to the "limits" I believe the bullet began to tumble at 900yds+.

That's my addition to this topic. Buy with confidence.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had my 17 for about 2 1/2 years and have fired about 2500rds out of it at ranges from point blank to 300 meters. The only ammo type it hiccups on is extremely wide mouth round nose hunting rounds. In particular is the old Smith & Wesson 180gr LJRN. Other than that it's been extraordinarily reliable so I'd highly recommend the 17 to you. BTW, that particular ammo is not liked by any of my 7.62 or .308 rifles so it's no big deal the 17 did not care for it. I shoot iron sights at 300 and with M80 ball, hit note book size metal plates with a good degree of regularity so I don't use optics. My vision is better than 20/20 so I can't help you there. Finally I had an original Armalite AR-10 on a Telco receiver back about 33 yrs ago and a pair of the newer Westrom era AR-10's. Myself and some friends had terrible luck with the Westrom era 10's. The old Armalite was fantastic. Shot it against my two dozen or so FAL's over the years. Very enjoyable rifle, unlike the Westrom's. In any event, to answer your question, the SCAR-17H is a better rifle than any of the 3 AR's. I fired my first FAL in 1976 and up until 2 1/2 years ago I though I'd never see a better rifle. Well, then came the SCAR17. All except one FAL has been sold but the SCAR17 is my one go to rifle. I have a SCAR16 also. A total hoot in 5.56. You can't go wrong with either. Good luck and hope you make out well. Keep in touch.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Are you so quick to forget the guy from a couple weeks ago who compared the bolt of a SCAR 17 with Colt M4's and decided he is too afraid to shoot such weak design. :D
:-D I meant credible people. If your first post is "why isn't the bolt manufactured out of unicorn turds and leprechaun tears than... Sorry buddy but perhaps you ought to be looking elsewhere!

·
Registered
40 Posts
1. Is the scar 17 in your opinion one of the best battle rifles i can purchase?
I was in the position of asking questions similar to yours not too long ago. After months of research I decided on (and purchased) an SCAR 17s. I think most everyone on this forum is going tell you the SCAR 17 is the best battle rifle available today (at least that's what I would tell you). Reliable, accurate and lightweight (with the benefit of a piston and a folding stock). Yes, it's expensive, but I have yet to see another rifle that compares to it (at least for my wants and desires). With most of the setups I considered, I would have spent SCAR 17 money (or more... usually more) to buy a base rifle and modify it to compare with the SCAR in terms of capability. And with nearly every consideration, what I would have ended up with would still not be as capable as the SCAR 17 (for my needs).

2. What are some of your suggestions on what kind of optic to slap on the bad boy?
That really depends on what you're going to do with the rifle. I bought mine for three reasons: steel plates at 500 yards with friends, deer hunting, and pig hunting. I will end up putting a nice 3x15 or 4x20 scope in a QR mount for plates at 500 (yes, that glass will be overkill for 500 yards, I am well aware but have my reasons), and deer and pig will be with a simple red-dot (in the woods where I hunt the range for either won't ever be more than 50 yards). That said, for many folks on this forum I think the SCAR is their "go-to" rifle if the SHTF, and I most often see Elcan Spectre's and NF 2.5 X 10's recommended. If this were my go-to rifle, I'd take a serious look at either of those optics.

I got mine locally, but you could try keeping an eye on SlickGuns.com. I usually see 1-2 deals every week on SCAR's posted there.

I'm not sure on this one myself... with the current limit of my knowledge I would venture a guess that out past 800 is about where things start to get sketchy. I have read of folks shooting 1000 yards with their SCAR 17s, but I'm not sure with what consistency/regularity. I understand the .308 to be capable of 1200 yards or more in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, but that's usually in a long barreled bolt gun. I think the SCAR necessarily gives up some velocity (and therefore range) with it's 16" barrel.

5. How do you gentleman feel it compares to an AR10?
If I were going to buy a semi-auto rifle for the bench ONLY, an AR10 would be at the top of my list (better ergo's and stock selections for precision rifle shooting IMO). But for anything else...
- AR10's are generally heavier than a SCAR 17 (often significantly heavier)
- I'm sure there are some AR10's that are more accurate than the SCAR 17. That said, anecdotally the SCAR is more accurate than the majority of "out-of-the-box" AR10's.
- I'm sure there are light-recoiling AR10's but I have never heard of one that will compete with the SCAR 17 for low recoil
- AR10's do not have folding buttocks
- Not that there is anything wrong with the AR15's direct impingement gas system, but the SCAR is piston driven. AR10's will be available in both flavors but on an AR10 the piston system will nearly always be proprietary, and will add even more weight to an already "heavier-than-a-SCAR-17" rifle.
- AR10's aren't as standardized as AR15's (limiting some parts options)

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thank you
1) I've never been in a battle but as this is the Interweb I'll answer anyways. I think the M1 would be better, but I can't lift it. The Scar 17 is readily liftable unless you play dress up a lot. I'm talking about adding so many accessories that you need to roof mount it. Not that I look bad in a little black dress ...

b) I won't try to convince you to spend money. But if you want one, go for an optic that matches what you will use it for. If you are hoping to shoot goats at 1700 yards get radar and heat seeking rounds, anything less get something within the realistic limits of the gun. I like the myriad offerings that start like 1-. That would be 1-4, 1-6, 1-8. That way I can use it close and far. But that's just me. The gun will do a lot.

3) Use your real name and address otherwise it won't come to you.

d) Are we talking straight shooting or mortar style? With a .308 I think it is reasonably around 400 yards. A lot of peeps on the Interwebs claim 1000. But I drive the Millinium Falcon to work every day, so maybe I'm not the one to ask.

E) Ah! finally a question I don't have to answer out my rear. I have a very nice AR-10. I skinnied it down so it is pretty light. It is accurate as all get out. It does not kick a lot more than the Scar. If I have to leave home tomorrow and can only take the Scar17 or the AR-10 I'll take the Scar. My wife will take the AR-10.

Welcome, keep your sense of humor and you will be fine here. And I hope you become a memeber. Whatever that is.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1) Yes
2) Depends on you. I'm using a 3-9x42 Nightforce. Perfect for this rifle with offset sights. ACOG/Elcan/Aimpoint/etc if you want a quick rifle without the magnification (which I think is sub-optimal considering how this rifle shoots.)
4) Not sure what you meant, but with my current 'best' reloads, I'd say 800yds (600 with decent factory ammo) is a safe bet to ring steel on every shot. The heavier bullets needed to sustain supersonic beyond this don't group as well as the lighter with the 1:12" twist. The 185 hybrid Bergers I did work with could hit 1000 since they don't go nuts in the trans-sonic boundry but I was having trouble keeping them sub 1" at 100yds which meant they would hit steel at 1000 but vary a lot in POI. To much 'random' factor when calculating drop/windage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, I have seen this rifle in the hands of some of the most fearless men in armed combat. What does awesome cost? how much are you willing to pay for something that works, and is reliable. Don't be optic poor? you need to evaluate your abilities and be realistic in how far you plan to shoot. eh not sure buy it from someone you trust. depends on ammo, skill, wind. no comparison. Just be aware once you buy her its expensive to feed her.

Cheers
C

Thank you

·
Registered
52 Posts
I spent months reading about the differences on the different AR10s and SCAR17. You have to figure out your criteria. For me the one was piston, so basically the SCAR, Sig, and M1. Another was weight so again the SCAR but the options for AR10 are S&W and build my own. The SCAR came in a couple pounds lighter than the other piston guns, with great reports on reliability.

My wife is also 4'11" so I needed a collapsible stock for her to use it too.

I don't regret it at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts