FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, how come the FN15 doesn't have its own subforum?

Secondly, there's hardly any owner's reviews on the FN15 either on the various boards or Youtube.

Thirdly, my favorite gun store called me and said:

"Hey, we got an FN15 Carbine that just came in."

I replied, "What about the FN15 Rifle?"

They said, "We are trying to get some in, but no joy."

I said, "Well...if the price is right, I'll take a chance. How about $900?"

They said, "Hemm, haww. We were thinking about $1000, maybe $975."

I said, "Remember I just bought the SCAR17S, SCAR16S, FS2000, FNS 9, FNX45T, Colt Series 70, SW 629 Stealth Hunter and the new Daewoo pistol all within the last three months? Plus the various mags and red dots?"

They said, "OK, $900."

I said, "I'll send you a check and will pick all these things up when I get home in a month or so."

I hope that this sucker turns out to be well made...Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
And job well done right there! Congrats! Can't what to hear what you think!

The mods say once there is enough interest maybe it gets it's own sub forum. There is a longer thread on it somewhere around here! Congrats again!

BBG-

·
Registered
927 Posts
You did good on sticking with the $900. I bought both versions and paid $950 for each. I shot both of them and my SCAR 16 back to back to back. I don't do review but I thought both FN15 shot real solid. I liked the carbine a little more than the rifle which really surprised me.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You did good on sticking with the $900. I bought both versions and paid $950 for each. I shot both of them and my SCAR 16 back to back to back. I don't do review but I thought both FN15 shot real solid. I liked the carbine a little more than the rifle which really surprised me.
Do you know if the buffer tube is mil-spec type or commercial type? Just curious more than anything.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bought one today. My opin. Build the sub forum. Then the wildfire will spread. Measurements, and ability to grade quality of build will help future member spending. For and against. Just do it. Its FN.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Nice, congrats on the FN15. Can't wait for the review.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Apparently I didn't do a full review but just snippets.

First of all, these are the emails from another customer and FN Customer Service on how the gun was built:

FNHUSA Customer Service

Today at 8:06 AM

To'Coy Greer'

Hello!

Thank you for the additional information. The material is 7075-T6 on both.

Kind regards,

FNH USA Customer Service

Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 3:31 PM
To: FNHUSA Customer Service
Subject: Re: FN15

The receiver extension is also referred to as the "Buffer tube". Some manufacturers produce this part out of 7075 type Aluminum alloy, and some manufacturers produce this part from a 6064 type Aluminum alloy. What type of Aluminum Alloy is FN using to produce this part on their FN15 rifles and carbines. 7075, or 6064?

Sent: Thu 8/28/14 2:18 PM
To: 'Kevin'

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your interest in FN products.

Please see the answers listed below.

BOLT CARRIER GROUP
C158 or 9130 Bolt? Carpenter 158
Shot Peened Bolt Yes
High Pressure Test (HPT) Bolt Yes
Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) Bolt Yes
Extractor Spring Insert Yes
Auto Bolt Carrier Yes
Staked Gas Key Yes

BARREL
Barrel Steel 4140
Port size .062"

High Pressure Test (HPT) Barrel Yes
Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) Barrel Yes
Chrome Chamber and Bore Yes
5.56 Chamber? Yes
M4 Feedramps Yes
"F" Height Front Sight Base Yes
Taper Pins at Front Sight Base (FSB) Yes
Parkerized under FSB? No

LOWER RECEIVER
1.14" Diameter Receiver Extension- 7075? Mil-Spec Dimension: 1.14", 7075 material
Staked Castle Nut Not currently, lock-tight
"H" Buffer No

Kind regards,

FNH USA Customer Service

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, essentially, the FN15 is non-milspec with the barrel's steel alloy of 4140 instead of 4150. Also non-milspec is not staking the castle nut.

If people are that worried about barrel longetivity while shooting on full auto or extended rapid fire, then by all means, get the Colt with the 4150 steel alloy.

If people never bother to change out the buttstock, then by all means, get the Colt with the staked castle nut. For those who detest the rattle trap milspec buttstock and prefer to swap it out for something else, it's a lot easier to do it with a non-staked castle nut. Also, if you're happy with the factory stock then take a chisel and hammer to kill that castle nut. It ain't that hard to do.

The fit and finish of the FN15 is superior to the Colt LE6920.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
If people never bother to change out the buttstock, then by all means, get the Colt with the staked castle nut. For those who detest the rattle trap milspec buttstock and prefer to swap it out for something else, it's a lot easier to do it with a non-staked castle nut.
Congrats on the new FN15 rifle. Why would a staked or non-staked castle nut deter or inconvenience a simple stock swap? :-o

1 - 20 of 22 Posts