FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have just bought my very first pistol and first carry conceal weapon the FN P40.

It was the only firearm that had all the things I wanted and for the price I could afford. I know FN's history and the type of firearms they produce so I trust them and I bought the FN P40 even though I had read a couple of reviews right before buying it that had said it had slide issues.

Now that I have it and have looked it over I think its a nice pistol but I have a big question. Can anyone confirm that after 200 or so rounds that the slide starts getting dig/chipping around the "P" on the slide where it says FNP-40.

I had read a couple of threads on some forums that people had issues with it chipping away / eating at the slide right under the P.

I thought this had to be a fluk as FN has always made good quality weapons that I know of.

I just wanted to know if it does happen and if it is a defect then maybe they have fixed it and I should contact them.

Also one last question mine was test fired on 2/7/2007 so I was wondering if anything major has came up around or after that time period I should know about.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It's a known cosmetic issue. Mine hasn't progressed further after the first 100 rounds. It does not affect function or reliability at all, and is barely noticeable when assembled. The wear occurs on the inside edge of the slide. Early on they replaced the slide for a couple of people who must have complained enough, but the wear continues on the replacement slide according to a few threads where they replaced it. I believe they just tell you it's part of the regular wear pattern now. Let us know what the response is if you push the issue with customer service. I would imagine it's less of a problem on the lower recoil 9's than it is on the higher recoil 40's. If they tell you they have resolved the mystery of the take down lever wearing down that part of the slide I would be interested. If not, I can live with it, since its other qualities dwarf the issue.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I have a 9 with 1670 rounds through it, a couple hundred of those being high pressure rounds. All I have is a tiny little nick, not much bigger than the tip of a pen. I probably wouldn't have noticed, but the light catches it a bit (I have the blackened slide). Some peoples may be worse if they are resting their off-hand thumb on the takedown lever without knowing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,
Thats why I had bought the pistol even though I had been reading all these things about the slide issue. I had come to think that it must be a ware issue and not a function issue. I could care less if it shows a little sign of ware if the pistol is below 500$ and has all the features that I wanted.

I just didn't know if it was a reliability issue or a safety hazard after long time use of the pistol.

The great mystery is why some people have it and others do not. The 9mm pistol rarely has it happen unless the people use a stronger round and 40S&W people have the problem very consistently So its pretty much known its a issue with higher recoil. But then you have a lot of people with .40 that do not have the issues at all... Kind of a mystery.

Also One other question was the FNP series built around the 9mm bullet then just up converted to .40

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have an FNP-40 with about 500 or so rounds through it (Dec 07 test fire date). I started getting the little ding under the P the first time I took it out (less than 50 rounds). I can see it, feel it, but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse (not that I measure it or anything). I was expecting it and was watching for it but I must say it doesn't really bother me.

The one thing I really wonder though is what it is dinging? I know the theory is that it taps the top of the takedown pin, but I see no wear in that area. I honestly can't figure out what its hitting.

In any case I've seen no noticeable change after about the first 100-200 rounds.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It would be cool if someone did a video of it firing and slowed it down to see what is happening there. It's gotta be the edge of the take-down lever, there's no other object around that area.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
B52U said:
It would be cool if someone did a video of it firing and slowed it down to see what is happening there. It's gotta be the edge of the take-down lever, there's no other object around that area.
That's what I figure. I noticed that when I rack the slide slowly while watching the lever, the lever does move a bit, but I haven't seen any wear on the lever.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have an FNP-40, and it had the ding when I first purchased it (test fire date of 6/07), so that must have come from the factory test firing. But you guys are right -- you can't see it when assembled, and if it doesn't get bigger it should be okay.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's happened with my FNP9M that I purchased last April.

"Normal wear and tear from downward recoil" is what I was told when I called FN to inquire. Also, "you have the next 5 years to have it corrected if it gets worse".

I wonder if the recoil spring may be a little weak on some of these guns, or if the frame to slide tolerances are a little sloppy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Under slide dent

:( Got the P40 2/12/09 and seen dent on unfired gun just after cleaning the first time. What is hitting the area from below? I see no wear. Seems dent, size of pin head, gets no bigger I will not worry about it.
FIRST POST.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Under slide dent

magnahombre said:
:( Got the P40 2/12/09 and seen dent on unfired gun just after cleaning the first time. What is hitting the area from below? I see no wear. Seems dent, size of pin head, gets no bigger I will not worry about it.
FIRST POST.
I can't figure out what it's hitting. The only thing that makes sense is the forward corner of the take-down lever, but when I look at mine it shows absolutely no wear.

Brace yourself though, it will almost certainly get bigger. Mine did for the first 100 rounds or so and it's a bit bigger than a pin head, but it doesn't hurt the running of it any. I bought it for shoot'n not look'n.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was looking at mine again yesterday and I think other people are right, the only thing that can possibly be causing this is the sharp front edge of the take-down lever (even though the lever itself shows no wear). First let me say that I'm not particularly bothered by it. A gun like the FNP definitely falls in the "tool" category (not like a chromed 1911 made for a showcase).

At the same time it seems like the problem could likely be eliminated easily by simply rounding the leading edge of the takedown lever. Any gunsmiths out there have an opinion on that?

·
Registered
36 Posts
if you wanna see what its hitting someone should take a little non permanent paint and make a little dab on the nick reassemble and cycle the action once

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used my dremel tool to grind down the edge of the takedown lever. Made no difference. The slide is hitting something on recoil, but I have no idea what.

Also, had the first jam with mine last week. FTF. Round got stuck halfway between the magazine and the feed ramp. Never had a jam with any of my other centerfire pistols (Sigma, S & W 3913, Sig 2022, Glock 26). This moves the FNP9M to the bottom of the list for carry.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Patrice, correct me if I'm wrong, but you got an FNP-45, which isn't affected by the chipping problem, so I think your concerns are unjustified. Not to mention others who have over 2000 flawless rounds through their pistol with the dinging. To look at another example of wear and tear, M-4's look horrible after 18 months in the sandbox, but mine still shot each time I pulled the trigger. People are too paranoid about this issue. I think the proof is in the round counts folks. Additionally, since the wear progresses and then stops, the logical conclusion is that any possible negative impact in performance also stops with further use.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I wouldn't say it is a serious design flaw. It isn't affecting anything critical in the pistol.

Looking at my 9, I'd say the takedown lever hit the slide exactly once. The corner of the takedown lever (inside part) has a little black worn off and woould be in position to strike the slide where the mark shows. The slide shows a tiny nick on the very edge with a 1/2 mm line on the bottom at about a 45 degree angle towards the front (indication this occured as slide was heading backwards). There is only indication of one strike (possibly due to someone resting a finger on the takedown lever (I bought it slightly used).

It seems to me this could easily be remedied by continueing the rounded nature of the lower portion of the lever so it physically could not strike it. There are no other metal parts that could hit the slide where it is being struck on some pistols.

Patrice, since your friend did not physically inspect the firearm, I would suggest you not immediately listen to him until he inspects it first hand. It can be hard to diagnose something properly without seeing it in person and going off someone elses description. Would you like your doctor to treat you based off of what a friend tells them about your condition?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Some people think guns should be treated like precision watches. These are tools that function to control and direct violent explosions in an intended direction. They aren't supposed to be pristine precision jewelry folks. If you are an antique gun collector I can see you being OCD about this stuff, but seriously, come on, this is a military/law enforcment grade firearm intended to be utilized and worn out in the process. Quit being gun panzies. (disclaimer, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone specific).
- Rant over -

1 - 20 of 23 Posts