FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a gun show awhile back and was looking at a Sig with a barrel threaded for a supressor. This got me to thinking, which at times can be dangerous. If you have a semi-auto weapon and the BATF finds one part in it that is from a full-auto they can declare the weapon full-auto and hold your feet to the fire.

My question is, then how do gun manufacturers get around selling threaded barrels to the public. Why doesn't the BATF say the barrel is threaded therefore you intend it to be suppressed, therefore it's illegal unless registered?

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
RiverRat said:
I was at a gun show awhile back and was looking at a Sig with a barrel threaded for a supressor. This got me to thinking, which at times can be dangerous. If you have a semi-auto weapon and the BATF finds one part in it that is from a full-auto they can declare the weapon full-auto and hold your feet to the fire.

My question is, then how do gun manufacturers get around selling threaded barrels to the public. Why doesn't the BATF say the barrel is threaded therefore you intend it to be suppressed, therefore it's illegal unless registered?
Gee, suppressors are registered and taxed ($200). I am not sure they care about threaded barrels....they track the suppressors.

I am certain that there are rules about it though....you can't conceal carry with a suppressor for example. It might even be illegal to shoot an intruder with weapon equipped with a suppressor. I recall hearing a story about a homeowner that had a pistol that he COULD have put his suppressor on...and even though he didn't when he shot an intruder...he got in trouble.

Another example, it is illegal to own a suppressor in say, Massachusetts, so I don't know what rule if any applies to a threaded barrel in a state like that.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Many shotguns have threaded barrels (in the inside) for the purpose of mounting chokes. I'm sure there are probably accessories you can attach to a threaded barrel beside a suppressor.

If you have a semi-auto weapon and the BATF finds one part in it that is from a full-auto they can declare the weapon full-auto and hold your feet to the fire.

Do you mean a part actually removed from an existing Title II weapon or just a part that is unique to selective-fire systems (ie a sear)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kanthek said:
Do you mean a part actually removed from an existing Title II weapon or just a part that is unique to selective-fire systems (ie a sear)
As I understand it, you could have say an M-16 bolt carrier in your box of parts and if you have an AR-15 in your possession then they can say you intend to make the weapon full auto. The parts, while not illegal by themselves, become illegal if you own a gun that they can go in.

So, if you have a gun that has a threaded barrel, intentionally done for a supressor such as the HK USP Tactical or the MK23, Then why is that any different from having one part of a full-auto and not the whole.

·
Registered
520 Posts
of course, ATF interpretations change constantly, but last ruling i heard was that things like threaded barrels, bolt carriers, etc. were kosher because they do not make the weapon function in an automatic mode- they are still semi auto, so the parts are fine.

take that for what it's worth. a lot of guys will avoid M16 carriers in their ARs like the plague for fear of what an ATF agent would say. personally, as long as the weapon will not function full auto, i will probably use it.

it's like taking a 16" barrrel off of a M16 and putting it on an AR15- will not change function or make it an SBR, so you are good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts