FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just joined the club with 16s. I already ground away the bolt catch so i can use all AR mags, and filed the mag well for free mag drop

·
Registered
862 Posts
Welcome.
How does she shoot?

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Welcome!!! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
welcome.

i was always taught to modify the LESS expensive part 1st........YMMV
my thoughts exactly, I will take even more material off if any problems occur considering the AR platform has survived so long with that itty bitty finger, actual catch contact part with mag follower.
Welcome! You were a good sport about us having fun with your other thread. :) Hope you enjoy the SCAR, it's an excellent rifle.
oh thanks for those warming welcomes, :) youtube comments section has taught me well. I will definitely enjoy the SCAR, and plan on shooting the crap out of it, I don't plan on collecting this rifle.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi guys, just joined the club with 16s. I already ground away the bolt catch so i can use all AR mags, and filed the mag well for free mag drop

Whoa!!!! I thought we modify the mags with a dremel. Now people are grinding the bolt catch? Does this work better/if so, how do I go about getting in on the party?

·
Registered
88 Posts
By modifying the catch he can use any mag he wants... Even other people's mags. Mags owned by people that don't have a SCAR and don't have any reason to modify the mag.

It's quite a thought. I know when I take my SCAR out I have to watch to make sure nobody uses any mags in it that aren't mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Color me a chicken, but I'm with the afore-mentioned school of thought that it's safer to modify a $23 magazine than a $2300 rifle. ;)
the bolt catch is ~$6.75 :smile:,
-takes 10 mins to replace with a tweezer and a small drill bit to push out the roll pin which isn't even interference fit, so no hammering needed
-it is not structurally load bearing, only bears the little mag spring force
-it is made of strong steel

the lower stripped is around ~$60? (correct me if I'm wrong)
-you will probably get similar wear running steel FN mags if you run your gun enough, if not more wear because I'm scraping polymer against polymer instead of steel against polymer.
-has absolutely no effect structurally, because I removed material towards the bolt catch, it actually brings the Pmag closer to the catch for maybe 1mm more engagement surface area, vs only cutting Pmag and sticking it through a interference fit mag well that the catch has less area to grab (comparing with GI or FN mags)

^yea i dont think id modify my rifle like that..being that it takes all of 30 seconds with an x-acto knife to modify a pmag..
to each his own, both of these modifications are not some people. I see where you guys are coming from not wanting to modify it, but I don't plan on collecting this rifle and I want to be 100% sure nothing will affect the bolt catch riding high.

It's the same mentality about modifying cars, some people won't touch a thing, or until the warranty is over, others mod it to their liking ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts