FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I've been lurking here for a little while. I was issued my CCW permit in CT about a week and a half ago and had been doing incessant research, prior to that, on guns that I should seriously consider buying once I was issued the permit. This site, among other sites with reviews, led me in the right direction.

If nothing else, for the price alone this gun was worth checking out. But the consistent stellar reviews that I kept finding made it irresistable. I got my all-black FNP 9 from cdnn (they offered me the lowest price by far, as well as free shipping), and picked it up from my FFL on Monday. I shot a box of Blazers through it last night and couldn't be happier with my decision. My sweet gentle jesus is it a nice gun to shoot. At ten yards on the second clip (I was only shooting five shots at a time to look for any adjustments that I'd need to make) I was making 2 inch groups. Out of the box, as far as I'm concerned, that's pretty phenominal and on par with how I shot a CZ 75 about a month ago at a lesser distance. No FTE or FTF of any kind, but I did catch a couple casings to the forehead, as some of you mentioned was wont to happen during the break-in period.

I went with my father, who shoots the Interarms version of the .380 Walther ppk, and when he shot my FNP he was seriously impressed. He actually shot his best group of the night with it (not that I'm overly surprised).

In any case, I'd like to say thanks for providing guys like me with a helluva lot of user generated reviews and insight because it was a serious help. I'm sure I'll be around more often to find out more and share some of my own stuff as well.

I do have one question, though. Has anyone here tried the Otis cleaner/lube? I used Hoppes #9 when I first cleaned it, but I ran out. The guy at the gun shop said that Otis is great and he is a knowledgable guy, so I took him at his word. I just wanted to know if anyone else had any feelings about it. Thanks, and take care.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Hello, and welcome.

I have used Otis and it does alright. I like Breakfree CLP the best. Some like Mil Comm better... it's one of those ford vs chevy things. Everyone has to find the one they like best. I suggest buying small amounts (or find samples) of several different kinds and find the one that works best for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Texas Armadillo said:
I suggest buying small amounts (or find samples) of several different kinds and find the one that works best for you.
Yeah, I didn't go for the wholesale size, its maybe 3 or 4oz. My dad and I will probably be trading it back and forth when we need to clean our gear up, so I can't imagine it'll last for too long. Is the CLP a cleaner and a lubricant? I like the concept of a 2-in-1 because when I used the Hoppes #9, I used the solvent with the patches/bore brush/tooth brush to clean everything really good, and then had to use the gun oil for the slide rails. I'd be nice to have one thing that would do it all.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I picked up an new Otis M9 cleaning kit on ebay for about 30 bucks. It works great and has all of the tools you might need including various picks and scrapper. For lubing the slide, I have Tetra gun grease, but I might switch to something without teflon, as the manual says not to use anything with teflon.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I wonder why that is? What's wrong with teflon?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
I wonder why that is? What's wrong with teflon?
I have no idea. I just know the manual says to avoid it and recomends some lubricant with a US military code and a NATO code. I can't remember what it is right now, but I was able to find some online.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
djv38 said:
I picked up an new Otis M9 cleaning kit on ebay for about 30 bucks. It works great and has all of the tools you might need including various picks and scrapper. For lubing the slide, I have Tetra gun grease, but I might switch to something without teflon, as the manual says not to use anything with teflon.
That's been talked about before. I believe the PS90 manual warns something similar, yet specifically recommends Breakfree CLP by name - that has teflon in it too.

I have used Breakfree CLP on numerous polymer handguns for years - never a problem. And if they recommend it for the PS90, which has a polymer stock...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.