FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I just got my first FNH pistol in on Monday, an FNS 9mm Compact which happens to be my first 9 too. I first started researching FNH pistols a few months ago after another user at glocktalk turned me onto the FNX Tactical .45 with an Osprey for home defense. Well I didn't want to commit $2200 to the package yet (had an RMR too) so I thought I would try one of their cheaper pistols first. It's beginning to be summertime and I thought why not have something comparable to my Glock 30S .45 for CCW in the hot summer months of Nevada. When I first saw a picture of the 9C I knew I had to have it...I'm one of those guys that actually loves the chunky look of my Heckler & Koch USP .40 and the 9C looks similar to me.

I bought it sight unseen for $447.00 (no taxes or shipping) from centerfireguns.com and it was shipped the same day (better price and quicker shipping than buds!). When I picked it up Monday I was completely surprised at how small it was. I knew it was a compact but the measurements I found put it even wider than my USP but shorter than my 30S. I was expecting it not to fit any of my holsters but it slips into my Crossbreed Supertuck (made for the USP) securely but easily. I placed an order recently for an IWB holster from Cook's Holsters for the 9C and should see it in the next few weeks. I had a few questions about their holsters and the owner, Bob Cook, got back to me within 30 minutes each time (A+++). The stock sights are definitely larger than any of my other handguns but not unmanageable.

The handle feels like it just disappears into my hands with smaller back-strap on (I have medium sized hands) which is a good thing. The grip pattern is just aggressive enough to not need any custom grips but isn't as aggressive as the front and back of my USP, which actually hurts my hands after a full day of shooting. The sides of the grip are flat which I really like, the only other gun I own that has this feature is my Ruger LCP but I like how it feels on a larger gun. I love the fact that it comes with 3 mags and each have their own features (flat based, pinky extension and hi-cap). I can carry the flat base while at work, stop by the house after work change it to the pinky extension (which I prefer) to carry while I'm out of the house and throw the hi-cap mag in and stash it on my night stand for a formidable 18 rounds.

The trigger is short and crisp. This is the only handgun I've owned that doesn't require any triggers mods. One thing I test on all my handguns is the trigger jiggle test. If you point the firearm away from you like you're aiming down range then take your index finger and thumb and hold the trigger by the sides and jiggle it. You can almost always tell the quality and the gun maker from that. My Ruger LCP (no trigger mods) jiggles like it is dancing, my Glock 30S (3.5# trigger mod) slightly jiggles while my USP (match trigger set) doesn't jiggle at all...well the FNS doesn't jiggle at all. Field-stripping is the easiest out of all my handguns. No trying 5 times to pull the tiny slide lock down like on a Glock. Rack, take-down lever down, pull trigger, slide off...easy and all big parts. On top of that it comes with a stock metal guide rod.

There are only few negatives about the pistol and none are deal breakers. As some have mentioned, the mag release system IMHO sucks. Having fully ambi controls is a positive. But when I press the mag release with my right thumb then my right middle finger is on the opposite side right over the mag release and that is the finger that provides back pressure. So basically I have to switch my firing grip to switch mags. Even if I don't then sometimes the bottom on the mag will be caught on my hand. Another thing is the slide stop, it is tiny and has no serrations on the top which makes it hard to rack the slide back into firing position if you feel so inclined. Now I know some might say that you shouldn't use the slide stop to release the slide and I agree 99% of the time. But some top serrations would go a long way if you're in a scenario where one of your hands is immobilized and you need to load another mag. The sights are "snag free" which means you can't use them to assist as they'll slide off...now you wish you had a larger serrated slide stop. Lastly, the manual safety is tiny. I know some people say you shouldn't have a manual safety on a carry gun but I like to have that option.

I have only put about 200 rounds through it but it are everything so far without any snags, FTE, FTL, etc. I've put Winchester white box 115 grain JHP and Magtech 124 grain FMC through it. When I picked it up I asked my LGS for the cheapest, dirtiest ammo he has so I could test the functionality and he gave me that Magtech. The FNS ate it for breakfast with no hiccups.

I know that was a long a*$ post but I just wanted to go over some things that might help others looking to purchase the FNS 9C. All-in-all it is a great firearm. All those features at stock pricing under $450!!! This is one package you could buy and be ready for almost any situation without any aftermarket modifications. 4 and 1/2 out of 5 stars.

Thanks guys.

NOW, IF ONLY THEY MADE THE FNS COMPACT IN .45 THEN I COULD PUT MY GLOCK 30S IN THE SAFE FOR LONG TERM STORAGE. :arrow:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mag Release on 9C?

There are only few negatives about the pistol and none are deal breakers. As some have mentioned, the mag release system IMHO sucks. Having fully ambi controls is a positive. But when I press the mag release with my right thumb then my right middle finger is on the opposite side right over the mag release and that is the finger that provides back pressure. So basically I have to switch my firing grip to switch mags.
Thanks guys.
I just got my 9C today -- so these comments come from an FN-newbie. I don't have a lot of hand strength, and I had trouble releasing the mag with my thumb, as I think you describe. So, I think I will be releasing my mag with my trigger finger -- at least for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts