FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So from all the hype I thought this trigger would blow my socks off, and FULL DISCLOSURE I have not yet fired the gun with the new trigger/ striker setup so maybe it needs some breaking in) I made a short video (last minute so please dont judge the crap quality lol). I compare it to my fully stock 509 Tac that maybe has about 300 to 400 rounds through it. This trigger ive always liked, but my 509 Compact trigger always felt gritty as hell and has more rounds through it since its my EDC.

At first I thought I must have done this install incorrectly because the first few trigger pulls literally made contact with the back of the trigger well and I had to pull even harder before the striker fell. After about 50 or so dry fires it hasnt done that but I really am not impressed. I can tell its lighter than the stock trigger, but thats about it. Thoughts? I have a case of 500 124grain fmj's coming in the mail so hopefully that will remedy my issues but from what I thought this was a drop in solution to the factory trigger.

Video

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 509 had the grittiest trigger I had EVER felt. My LGS put in the Apex trigger and BROKE THE FRAME doing it. The FN customer service facility in South Carolina made them buy me a new frame, took out the Apex trigger, and gave me back a pistol that felt like it was full of sand. If you don't use Apex's rig to punch out that PITA dowel that holds in the trigger, it's possible to damage the frame.
I polished the "tube" that the striker trigger slides in with some 3,000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, polished the rubbing surfaces of my new Apex striker firing pin and that helped a lot. I then lubricated that firing pin with....automotive transmission fluid and it's pretty good now. ATF is renowned for being a great general purpose lubricant, so I thought I'd give it a try and it worked.

·
Premium Member
8,953 Posts
All metal parts when newly mated unless meticulously fitted and polished require some break-in. There actually isn't anything wrong with the stock 509 trigger and it will smooth out with time and wear. I personally cannot stand an articulated trigger which is why I replaced mine. You need to keep in mind the 509 was designed as a military weapon, it is not a multi-thousand dollar highly tricked-out Wilson Combat 1911.

·
Super Moderator
18,477 Posts
I thought this was a drop in solution
Guessing you missed this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guessing you missed this?
Yeah I was a little late to the party, that striker is so new that I wanted to wait to hear some reviews before I bought it.
My 509 had the grittiest trigger I had EVER felt. My LGS put in the Apex trigger and BROKE THE FRAME doing it. The FN customer service facility in South Carolina made them buy me a new frame, took out the Apex trigger, and gave me back a pistol that felt like it was full of sand. If you don't use Apex's rig to punch out that PITA dowel that holds in the trigger, it's possible to damage the frame.
I polished the "tube" that the striker trigger slides in with some 3,000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, polished the rubbing surfaces of my new Apex striker firing pin and that helped a lot. I then lubricated that firing pin with....automotive transmission fluid and it's pretty good now. ATF is renowned for being a great general purpose lubricant, so I thought I'd give it a try and it worked.
I used the jig and thank goodness I did, that pin is a BEAR. The video tutorials Apex puts out are also incredibly helpful. We'll see how she runs after a put 500 rounds through her.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Just installed the SS Striker in the 509... The Apex trigger is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

Bearing in mind other than some dry firing, I have NEVER shot this thing due to not being able to get any meaningful range time... However, I thought I'd do a quick test/comparison between the stock 509 and after installing the SS striker.

The trigger and pull does feel lighter and a little smoother to me, but I always question whether the feeling after installing a replacement part is a bit psychological.

In any event, prior to the installation, I checked the trigger pull weight using a Lyman digital gauge and it registered an astonishing 8lb 15oz!!! I checked it 5 times and each time it was right at 8lb 15oz... Would it lighten up over time? Not sure.

Once the SS Striker was installed, I checked the trigger with the gauge and it broke right at 7lb 8oz... So, I suppose the smoother, lighter feeling is correct.

Interested to see what others say, especially since Lester finally got his... :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Just installed the SS Striker in the 509...
[...]
Once the SS Striker was installed, I checked the trigger with the gauge and it broke right at 7lb 8oz... So, I suppose the smoother, lighter feeling is correct.
I may have missed this: what was your factory pull weight? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,837 Posts
Yeah, the Apex trigger is an improvement, but it's not going to blow your socks off. On my full size 509T it was a welcome improvement (it had a heavy, sluggish pull), but on the pair of compact 509t's it was just slightly better than OEM. The Apex strikers had no bearing, to me, on trigger pull. Those I upgraded for peace of mind.

I ran into a technical glitch with my SS striker, so I have a replacement in route. It's good to hear folks seeing an improvement. I should have my new one by Monday. Looking forward to a successful swap-out.

·
Premium Member
9,837 Posts
On the one I received, there is a burr, or some obstruction, in the striker channel that is keeping the spring stop pin from setting in place. I reached out to Art, and he's sending me a replacement. He was great by the way, I reached out to him Sat morning, had a response in very short order.

·
Super Moderator
18,477 Posts
On the one I received, there is a burr, or some obstruction, in the striker channel that is keeping the spring stop pin from setting in place.
Only issue I had on the installation with mine yesterday was the spring stop pin but on the third attempt and a little help from a plastic dental pick lol! it finally went into place

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Only issue I had on the installation with mine yesterday was the spring stop pin but on the third attempt and a little help from a plastic dental pick lol! it finally went into place
Is that that the small, approx 5mm long pin which sits in a small channel, just a bit back from the front of the striker and spring? The one no one phuqing told me about? LOL...

Almost lost it and had the hardest time trying to keep it in place when installing the thing!!! 🙄

·
Super Moderator
18,477 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,837 Posts
I just tried it again...to make sure. Still no dice. It happens. The replacement will set it straight. Just looking at the two strikers side by side, you can really notice how cheap and cheesy the OEM version is.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Bumper Gas

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Hmmm... Something is a miss... I did not see the Spring Stop, just the pin which would fall freely into and out of the channel...

I am guessing I need to remove the Stop from the original and insert it in the SS Striker, is that correct? Am not at home, but I can't recall seeing where I would be able to do that.

Didn't see this on the Apex Disassembly video!!!

Thanks for the heads up...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts