FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All I can say is "wow!" Finally got the mount from Duane at Design Machine. He had some mechanical problems that delayed in getting me the mount, but being the great guy he is, he included one of his side rails as a gift for waiting on the mount. What a stand up guy. Thanks again, Duane!

As far as the goods go, the MRO mount and picatinny rail are high quaility. Both aluminum pieces are Duracoated in black that match the upper receiver perfectly. They came with all the mounting hardware and instructions that made this a really easy install. The only issue I ran into was the rear portion of the mount was very snug fitting inside the rail well, causing the holes not to align properly. After taking a small hammer, and protecting the coating with a piece of small cardboard, I tapped the rear mount and it then aligned the holes perfectly. I used a small amount of locktite on the screws to make sure no issues will be had once I start shooting. Overall, install was a snap.

As far as looks, this brings the gun to life. The mount drops the MRO sight to a very low profile look. The aluminum side rail dresses up the aggressive appearance of the gun. Overall, looks are top notch.

As far as function, the MRO mount drops the sight for a perfect cheek weld. The position of the MRO to my line of sight is dead straight. I don't have the hassle of raising my head off the gun stock to see the red dot of the sight. Overall, function is as accurate as can be.

I highly recommend this mount for the MRO sight. I love the rail just as much

Here are a coupe of pics of the sight mounted on the factory rail, with comparisons to Design Machine's MRO mount. Hope you enjoy the pics.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That is fantastic, much lower appearance versus the standard rail.
The setup looks amazing, very nice.

Reactions: Pretarion

·
Registered
896 Posts
Do you know how universal the mount is? I have the Vortex Sparc2 on my PS90, and that mount would help get rid of the snag points of the original mount. The 3/4 inch or so drop would also be nice. The Sparc2 has four holes in the bottom that the rail mount attaches to, so it appears to be a similar setup as the MRO. Just not sure if the hole pattern would be the same. I have access to a mill and a drill press, so it is something I could probably modify if needed. You did not happen to take pictures of the mount before installation did you?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I did not take pics of the mount before. I should have, however, I can tell you this mount is custom to the MRO. The front of the mount is milled for the larger lens in the front of the scope and the rear is notched as well. Not familiar with your scope, but you can give Duane a call and I am sure he can help you out.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice review, thanks!!!

Reactions: Pretarion

·
Vendor
147 Posts
Pretarion, very nice review! Thank you very much for the kind words. I gotta say that is a great looking rifle, that barrel shroud really sets it off, and it's nice to see one with a loaded mag in it for a change! A nice big fat loaded mag!
Kmiles, I sent you a PM and will be glad to help you. Go to my web site at http://dmachineri.com/ and click on "products" look at the pics of the MRO mount, there is one of the top and you can see the holes. If you really like the sight, (and promise not to take a drill press to it), I say we make a proper mount, from scratch. You will be glad you did.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pretarion, very nice review! Thank you very much for the kind words. I gotta say that is a great looking rifle, that barrel shroud really sets it off, and it's nice to see one with a loaded mag in it for a change! A nice big fat loaded mag!
Kmiles, I sent you a PM and will be glad to help you. Go to my web site at http://dmachineri.com/ and click on "products" look at the pics of the MRO mount, there is one of the top and you can see the holes. If you really like the sight, (and promise not to take a drill press to it), I say we make a proper mount, from scratch. You will be glad you did.
Perhaps someone could verify, but I believe the Sparc 2 used the same bolt pattern as the Aimpoint T1. If that is correct, DM already has a mount for that.
Incidentally, I ordered my Design Machine MRO mount and two rails just moments ago. Looks great. I'm excited to get it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Just received my T-1 mount from Design Machine (along with 2 side rails) for my Sparc II. I was able to use the 1/3 lower co-witness spacer that came with the Sparc II to raise the Sparc II enough to work with the mount. The flip up caps sit about 1/8 inch above the receiver and function well. Here is a photo of my PS90 using the design machine T-1 mount with the Sparc II.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Very nice job, clean looking rifle. I would be happy to make a mount for most any small sight for the best height we can get out of it. In most cases they will be the same price also. All you need to do is send me your sight for about a week or so. Alot of them are very close to what we have now, so it's not a big deal to change the bolt hole pattern and / or height. I'll post a new thread offering this should anyone need it.
If you wanted to do a mount specific for the Sparc II I can measure the thickness of the spacer I used. That would give you the dimension needed to be added to the top of the mount. Personally I would not worry about it as the spacer and needed screws are provided with the Sparc II, so if anyone buys your mount for the T-1 to use for the Sparc II, they will have everything they need. The short screws they provide with the Sparc do not work with your mount (not long enough to thread through the mount into the sight), and the medium length are too long unless you are using the spacer as they bottom out in the sight before they are tight with the mount. With the spacer and screws that are provided with the sight, your mount gets the sight as long as possible with it still being fully functional. I would recommend this setup to anyone looking for the economical ($200) red dot for use on the PS90.

·
Vendor
147 Posts
Thank you, thats good to know. It's hard to cough up $700 for some of these little sights, so this gives a guy a way to play. Then later down the road if needed you can buy the expensive stuff and already have everything you need to mount it. How is the sight quality and are you still getting a good cheek weld? It looks so in the pic. I like the set up.

·
Vendor
147 Posts
Hi everyone, I'v got a question on this Spark system mount problem. I had a gentleman send me a Spark sight to make a mount with, no sweat it can be done as a whole like the rest or a shim like comes with it and was used above. The one that comes with it does not fit very well, to sloppy in the "recoil" lugs, this makes it rely on the screws with is not the best way to go. My thought is this: I can either make another mount like the ones we have for the Spark and it would be fine. Or, I could make a proper fitting spacer to fit our T-1 mount which would do the same thing. This is the way I would like to go because of this: If you buy a Spark it's probably because you can't lay out $700 right now on a T-1 (and the Spark is a great sight for the money) Down the road some will want to upgrade to the T-1, and by doing the mount this way they won't need to buy anything else. If I go with a full mount though, they will need to start over with another mount to end up with the same great sighting system they are now used to. (more money down the tubes for really no reason. Can I get some feedback on which way you guy's would like to see it go? 1) complete mount. 2) Proper shim unit for the T-1 mount. Thank you, Duane.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pretarion, Thanks for the photos. You helped me make up my mind about my next optic/mount combo. Love the MRO on my CZ Scorpion, and hoping to duplicate the experience on my PS90.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts