FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I found out that I got a FNP-45 USG FDE. Based on the discussions, there is confusion around what is actually available versus what is shown in the FNH catalog. I even posted trying to understand the difference between a USG and non-USG model (for those that don't know, it appears the big difference is the serrations on the slide and the slide is thinner).

To make a long story short, I had contacted a local dealer that deals with CDNN since they seemed to have the best price but they didn't have any in FDE. Well, the local guy asked if he could try to find me one and I said sure. He came back and told me he had found one and I told him to get it. Based on the model (47938) and FNH's catalog I thought I was getting a FDE non-USG with Manual Safety.

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the case and saw this (notice the rounded clip, this is the 15 round clip. The other two in the case are the flat bottom 14 round clips).

Below is the tag on the case which clearly labels this as an USG.

I had called FNH directly and talked with someone (I think it was Bob) and I got the impression that the only FDE model available was the non-USG version (maybe he meant in FNH inventory). Whatever, the case I am happy and can't wait to take this out to the range. Unfortunately, that will probably be after Christmas due to rain and work.

I will agree with others that everything you get when you purchase this gun is impressive. The local dealer said he hadn't seen one before and was really impressed with it design and how good it felt in your hand.

I'll update after taking it out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, color me jealous!!! That's exactly the color and configuration that I wanted. I settled for a two-tone with decocker, though. :D

Good find. Enjoy that gun!

P.S. I'm the type of guy that will tactfully tell someone when they have a booger hanging out of their nose. It's in the same friendly spirit that I inform you that the spring-loaded object into which you load ammo is really called a " magazine," not a "clip." Some guns can indeed use clips (an SKS for example), but they in turn are loaded into the gun's magazine.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Very nice! Hope you enjoy it! :?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Nice :?

First 45 that I have seen in that color (other than the 45 military Templar fired).

I'll have to look for one to match my 9 (and get black ones of the 9 and 45 as well) :shock:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Can someone post a photo showing just how the USG slide is "thinner"?

If the frames are the same, except for color and decocker, there is no way the slide can be "thinner".

I am very confused about this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Orange Phantom said:
when I found out that I got a FNP-45 USG FDE. Based on the discussions, there is confusion around what is actually available versus what is shown in the FNH catalog. I even posted trying to understand the difference between a USG and non-USG model (for those that don't know, it appears the big difference is the serrations on the slide and the slide is thinner).
FN maintains a very confusing catalog. Seems that they may have switched and decided to build all FNP-45s with the forward serrations. If you go to the FNHUSA site, all FNP-45 pics have the forward serrations. Not so in their paper catalog.

Also, I recently saw an all black FNP-45 with the forward serrations at the local Cabela's, but I'm pretty sure it had a decocker, not a manual safety.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Agreed. Someone with some calipers prove to us that the USG slide is thinner. I tend to believe it's an internet urban legend.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
B52U said:
Agreed. Someone with some calipers prove to us that the USG slide is thinner. I tend to believe it's an internet urban legend.
The catalog says it's thinner and someone posted that Bob Ailes told them it was slightly thinner. If you look at the weights in the catalog, the 45 USG is a touch lighter than the standard 45.

·
Registered
32 Posts
djv38 said:
B52U said:
The catalog says it's thinner and someone posted that Bob Ailes told them it was slightly thinner. If you look at the weights in the catalog, the 45 USG is a touch lighter than the standard 45.
I was thinking the small weight difference might come from the serrations. It's drops the weight from 33.2 to 32.4 ounces so it's not ground breaking, but it could be a slightly different shape in the slide with those serrations. I've never seen a USG and a regular at a store together for comparison of the slide, just a guess.

I've yet to see one with serrations and no manual safety here yet. I'm pretty sure the website and the catalog both carry a "Images may vary from actual product" disclaimer in there so that they can be flexible with the serrations/manual safeties or other cosmetic differences that are demanded. That or they didn't feel like taking a ton of extra pictures of the actual products

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
On the 9 and 40, the USG with serrations actually weigh more than the standard, which makes me believe there is some truth to the slim slide.

As for the photo's, They probably didn't want to pull out every model and photo them, make their own page.... (not sure if there's a disclaimer, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one).

·
Registered
32 Posts
djv38 said:
On the 9 and 40, the USG with serrations actually weigh more than the standard, which makes me believe there is some truth to the slim slide.
I just checked and it's listed as the same weight or heavier. There goes my theory :lol:

The "slim-profile slide" is listed on the FNP-45 USG, but not the 9 or 40 versions. It can't be too drastic of a change because no one can really tell where it's being slimmed down from photos. Who knows without having the two side by side

·
Registered
95 Posts
Man that's got to feel like hitting the lotto....... Well sorta.
That is the exact one I want.
Nice goin ! :?

I guess the hunt can begin now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Attaboy!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Very nice. I wish I had of waited. Oh well I like my black one just as much as when I first got it.

As to the slide, on my non USG the slide measures 1.063" where the serrations would be and 1.127" at the widest part.

·
Banned
7 Posts
I love that color and you're lucky to have found one. I don't care if it is thinner/lighter whatever, that is a great looking gun and I want one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts