FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :) just wanted to say hello and ask a few questions here.

my Loving other half has agreed to let me get FN FS2000 but only after i had gotten her a new couch or the Ring.......guess which one i picked.....hmmm leather........ anyways

what should i start looking for in possible scopes, and cases to store my soon to be new toy in. atm i only have an H&K .45 which came in a nice case but from all the pics i have seen the FN FS2000 comes in a kinda junky box. i was either looking into a pelican case as a possible new home for it.

and what kind of ammo should i use to work in the FS2K don't want any issues when i take it out in front of the other half. or when she goes to shoot......dam women can shoot like a pro.....3in group center mass at 4m......maybe i shouldn't have show her how to shoot so well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome,

A few things to be aware of with the FS2000.

1. As it comes from the factory the FS2000 may have trouble reliably detonating all milsurp ammo. This is because they put a lighter firing pin with a captive spring to guard against slamfires but it was overkill. Either the captive spring or the lighter firing pin alone would have been enough. With both of these, my FS2000 would not reliably detonate milsurp like XM193 and M855 100%. Maybe one round out of 30 or so would not detonate.

So I removed the captive spring from around the firing pin and have since ran over 2000 rounds of various milsurp through the FS2000 without any failures to detonate other than plain dud rounds.

2. Magazines with outside texturing like the Magpuls or Orlites will not fit into the mag well. Standard 20 round AR mags ae also problematical. But any standard.

3. If you put a magazine in when the bolt is locked back the vibration will sometimes jar the bolt into releasing. However it will not get a good release and will only close part of the way. But when you try to retract the bolt you will give yourself a doublefeed. The solution of this is to try not to put a loaded mag in when the bolt is back.

·
Banned
83 Posts
If you use all current NATO mags and fresh NATO rated ammo, you should have no problem.
Any steel cased .223 is out, as is the older mil surp ammo as bullpuppy said, but removing the anti rebounding spring to do so is at your own risk. Even a one in a thousand case head separation could ruin your day, especially on a weapon with a plastic housing! A slam fire IS the round going off before the bolt entirely closes...this lets the case head expand without support.
Cadillacs are made to run on premium...so is the FS!
Same with the mags....FN designed the FS to run on 30rd NATO mags(M mag designation) , an Israeli oralite, while tougher than a cob, is not to NATO specs.
Your current production, new FS should work flawlessly out of the box, and recoil is almost not there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome! My $.02... with a 1 in 7 twist barrel you want heavier ammo if you want accuracy. My FS2K loves Black Hills remanufactured 75 and 77 grain, from the bench I shoot 1.25"-1.75" groups with a no magnification EOTech. I imagine I would get better groups with magnification, but for me this rifle is more a short range weapon and a scope would not be practical. I ordered a case of PRVI 75 grain BTHP match and I expect similar accuracy. I recommend the EOTech or the Aimpoint, I own both but I liked the EOTech better on the FS2K. If I had the $$ I would buy an Elcan Spectre, there are times 4x might come in handy but I would keep it on the 1x most of the time anyway. You will love this rifle, im sure your other half will as well. My girlfriend's only problem with mine is she says it's ugly. She likes the way it shoots but she likes her M1 Carbine better. Good luck to you, enjoy your new rifle! :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just my $.02 worth, I ran a mix of ammo including steel-cased Wolf through my FS2000 with no issue. True, I needed to adjust the gas pressure to "weak" for the Wolf stuff during my first range session due to FTEs. On my second range trip, however, the Wolf stuff cycled with the gas pressure set to "normal".

Yep, I know, I'm being mean to my baby by feeding her Wolf. :roll: I like to stress-test my firearms first with "less than optimal" ammo, however, so I have a good idea of the edge of the envelope for the future. 8)

And I do love my FN 'puppy! :?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thank you all for the heads-up and info.

My next quesiton is if 20 round mags have issue then should i i only get 30round mags and if so what kinds should i look to pick up or should i order the mags right from FN to avoid issues?

and all the info on ammo is great. thou i might baby my FN for a bit till i work it in. unlike my H&K.....that poor gun has only really seen cheap wally world ammo...thou it takes it like a champ.

·
Registered
111 Posts
hk mags all the way ....

·
Banned
83 Posts
Wow thank you all for the heads-up and info.

My next quesiton is if 20 round mags have issue then should i i only get 30round mags and if so what kinds should i look to pick up or should i order the mags right from FN to avoid issues?

and all the info on ammo is great. thou i might baby my FN for a bit till i work it in. unlike my H&K.....that poor gun has only really seen cheap wally world ammo...thou it takes it like a champ

If you can afford it, I'd get the FN mags in a heartbeat!
Nicest .223 NATO mags I've seen in years ..and next to Colt..the FN logo adds a touch of class.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been using my c-products green follower AR mags in mine and haven't had any problems. They are all pretty new mags.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you can afford it, I'd get the FN mags in a heartbeat!
Nicest .223 NATO mags I've seen in years ..and next to Colt..the FN logo adds a touch of class.
are these available online?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FN mags?? is there a website i can check them out on?? or a website you would point me too take a look at to get an idea of price?

·
Registered
57 Posts
texfed said:
Even a one in a thousand case head separation could ruin your day, especially on a weapon with a plastic housing! A slam fire IS the round going off before the bolt entirely closes...this lets the case head expand without support.
I had some slamfires before I had the new firing pin put in. They took the form of 2 round bursts.

To correct this FN did two things: a lighter firing pin and a captive spring.

This was overkill.

Before I removed the captive spring the firearm would not reliably detonate milsurp ammo. This made the FS2000 a very expensive range toy, not something I would ever rely on as a defense carbine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Raptor725 said:
I would stick with 30 round mags. It doesn't have to be FN. As long as it has a smooth external profile similar to metal 30 round M-16 mags it should be fine. I have used surplus GI, Cproducts, H&K metal mags, FN, etc.

I had problems with Cproducts not related to the FS2000. I loaded a new one with 28 rounds and the follower/spring took a set. I have heard of other problems with Cproduct mags so I avoid them.

·
Banned
83 Posts
I have never seen FN mags except the ones that came with the rifle! I figure that any aroundare gonna be expensive.
Any GI used or new 30 rd mag in good working order will work as will Euro Nato suppliers...HK ect. Aftermarket is a guess as are non metallic mags!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I've had good results with the Brownells 30rd mags with the Chrome Silicon springs which won't take a set. You'll need to keep them oiled a little more frequently than stainless to prevent possible corrosion. They are pretty reasonably priced and now you can get them with Magpul followers and ranger floorplates, which makes them even better

The pic is one with the ranger floorplate...................................DJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts