FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a 17S this week. i took it out today to the range. the sights were not mechanically zeroed but i went ahead and shot anyways. at 25 yards set at 3 i didn't get a single hit. i then mechanically zeroed it and i got 3 hits. all very close. each touching eachother. shot very low and right. i made adjustments and did get elevation and windage on but in order to get centered i had to max out the windage. my barrel is off with the rail. should i keep it or send in to FN? im just concerned of what will happen once i put an optic on there. any help is appreciated. with all that being said i love how this thing shoots. its awesome.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i just slide the barrel in the receiver and center the barrel the receiver flexes just a bit. i believe somethings off.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
At least the OP posted a photo with a bona fide crooked barrel instead of a perfectly normal one.

Man the 17's are taking a beating this afternoon. First they spit metal and plastic and now the barrel is crooked.:eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just finished up removing/reinstalling the barrel. no change. with all the bolts removed if i manually center the barrel i can see the receiver flex a little.

·
Registered
609 Posts
torque it in stages for best results. i start with 20inch pounds torque all four then go to 40 and finally 62. going right to 62 can cause off center barrels.

its possible the monkey putting it together at fn had been going to the gym and cranked yours really hard with a gorilla grip

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
The entire receiver? Not questioning what you're seeing -you're there, I'm not- but it would seem unlikely for the upper receiver to flex considering how it's made and all that's attached to it internally even without the barrel assembly installed. Very strange, hopefully Sarge will pop in and shed some light on the possibilities. Fear not OD, if it can be dealt with in your hands without going to FNH this is the place to get the low down on how to do it...

just finished up removing/reinstalling the barrel. no change. with all the bolts removed if i manually center the barrel i can see the receiver flex a little.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The entire receiver? Not questioning what you're seeing -you're there, I'm not- but it would seem unlikely for the upper receiver to flex considering how it's made and all that's attached to it internally even without the barrel assembly installed. Very strange, hopefully Sarge will pop in and shed some light on the possibilities. Fear not OD, if it can be dealt with in your hands without going to FNH this is the place to get the low down on how to do it...

o i know. thats why i came here where all the pros hang out at. when i mean flex is if just slide in the barrel and i look at the area where the hole for the pin is for the lower. i can see the receiver flex just a bit. enough for me to see it. that is without tq on the barrel. i really like it and would like to keep the rifle but if this is an issue id like to get it fixed. i dont think maxed out windage is ever a good thing. but then again i am fairly new. im in the military so my knowledge is only with a m4 and its still not much.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Well first, thank YOU for your service there are a LOT of Veteran's in here, past and present myself included. And yes maxing-out windage or elevation is generally indicative of a problem. You most certainly should like it, it didn't make the cut to still serve in SOCOM hands for no reason. I'm still a little vague on the "flexing" issue and you mentioned the takedown pin to be the area you see flexing. I'm sure you're aware the trigger module (lower receiver) is polymer as such is prone to very minor flexing. To clarify, is it the "lower" you see flexing or the aluminum upper, again I can't see that happening. I am tempted to remove the barrel in my 16s to see if I can replicate any upper flexing whatsoever.

There is a member known to all as Sarge, and he IS one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet when it comes to the SCAR platform. Be patient and let's hope he chimes in with a cause and solution, if he can't it may well be that your 17s will need to return to FNH. I do believe that won't ultimately need to be but we will see.

o i know. thats why i came here where all the pros hang out at. when i mean flex is if just slide in the barrel and i look at the area where the hole for the pin is for the lower. i can see the receiver flex just a bit. enough for me to see it. that is without tq on the barrel. i really like it and would like to keep the rifle but if this is an issue id like to get it fixed. i dont think maxed out windage is ever a good thing. but then again i am fairly new. im in the military so my knowledge is only with a m4 and its still not much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well first, thank YOU for your service there are a LOT of Veteran's in here, past and present myself included. And yes maxing-out windage or elevation is generally indicative of a problem. You most certainly should like it, it didn't make the cut to still serve in SOCOM hands for no reason. I'm still a little vague on the "flexing" issue and you mentioned the takedown pin to be the area you see flexing. I'm sure you're aware the trigger module (lower receiver) is polymer as such is prone to very minor flexing. To clarify, is it the "lower" you see flexing or the aluminum upper, again I can't see that happening. I am tempted to remove the barrel in my 16s to see if I can replicate any upper flexing whatsoever.

There is a member known to all as Sarge, and he IS one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet when it comes to the SCAR platform. Be patient and let's hope he chimes in with a cause and solution, if he can't it may well be that your 17s will need to return to FNH. I do believe that won't ultimately need to be but we will see.
appreciate it. thanks for all the help so far. it is the aluminum upper that flexes. it does with the bolts removed but barrel still installed. i did message sarge as soon as i saw this on my rifle but i actually shot it today so i decided to post. so the flexing is noticeable when i look at the upper with the receiver upside down. where the flats on the barrel extension. i think thats what its called. well i think that is what flexes the upper is the flats on the receiver when i try to manually center it.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Well, that's descriptive enough for me, I can visualize what your saying now and I have to assume you're talking a minor flexing, no more than say an 1/8" either way? If within those parameters I think that would be acceptable since the barrel sits in it's own free-floating cradle so-to-speak. Fortunately my 16s barrel sits straight as an arrow although I have heard of other's with barrels out of alignment with the upper. In those cases the remedy was torqueing unfortunately the only torqueing method I can share is the basic which you seem to know and have done. And sadly Brother, that's all I got. Someone will know the torque straightening secret and surely they'll share. As I said early be patient and the Doctor will see you shortly... :?

appreciate it. thanks for all the help so far. it is the aluminum upper that flexes. it does with the bolts removed but barrel still installed. i did message sarge as soon as i saw this on my rifle but i actually shot it today so i decided to post. so the flexing is noticeable when i look at the upper with the receiver upside down. where the flats on the barrel extension. i think thats what its called. well i think that is what flexes the upper is the flats on the receiver when i try to manually center it.

Reactions: od120985

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, that's descriptive enough for me, I can visualize what your saying now and I have to assume you're talking a minor flexing, no more than say an 1/8" either way? If within those parameters I think that would be acceptable since the barrel sits in it's own free-floating cradle so-to-speak. Fortunately my 16s barrel sits straight as an arrow although I have heard of other's with barrels out of alignment with the upper. In those cases the remedy was torqueing unfortunately the only torqueing method I can share is the basic which you seem to know and have done. And sadly Brother, that's all I got. Someone will know the torque straightening secret and surely they'll share. As I said early be patient and the Doctor will see you shortly... :?

not sure how noticeable it is but the one with the smaller gap is how the barrel is just sitting there and the other is me forcing it center

·
Registered
465 Posts
Mine is slightly canted i just got it. I put a scope on it lretty much right away so didnt do too much group type shooting with irons. I will get around to removing and re mounting it straight soon. Probably before my next trip to the range.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts