FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
couldnt agree more. my brother's here on 2 weeks leave from sadur city, Iraq (spelling?). I couldn't recall the number of times i've thanked him so :? far.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
While appreciating the hard ships of the troops and all, I have to say this now that I've been back in the civvy world for a few years. (don't take this as me being unnappreciative, this is just my first hand experience).

1. Creature comforts on deployments are quite nice now. Don't feel bad for the combat troops that fight it out for some days and then come back to the baskin robbin's ice cream and wireless internet access on the big FOB. These pictures of people sleeping on humvee hoods and in mud holes was only for the small initial part of the invasion. They now sleep on mattresses or at the very least a cot.

2. Deployments while stressful in some ways are in other ways less stressful than civilian employment. Life is much more simple on a deployment. Go kill bad guys or find bombs, come back and work out, eat a free meal compliments of KBR, maybe have some ice-cream afterwards and go back to the hooch and play network video games to blow off steam or try new tactics. Watch every movie available within reach. Do whatever you feel like, it's your time. The civilian world is much less selfish in some ways: go to work, fix problems all day that may or may not matter to the world or be appreciated, come home late and watch the news destroy all hope for your future.

3. If you're single, you make bank!!! All that tax free dough goes straight to the bank or the gun fund back home. If you listen to single soldiers talk in the chow hall, you would be amazed what cars they are going to buy upon their return.

Lastly, yes it does suck to be away from family, but keep in perspective how easy the troops today have it compared to our comrades of yesteryear. The chances of survival are much better, the communication with family is almost daily, and the money isn't that bad. Best of all, all your needs are met with very little to worry about on your part.

Dang, I should be a recruiter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts