FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just recently bought a 5.7 and have not had a chance to really put it thrugh its paces. Is there any truth to a rumor I heard that this round is subject to keyholing after 25 yards due to the extreme high velocity not giving the projectile a chance to engage the rifling properly for a stable spin out the barrel?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
edited:

Sod, IIRC its due to the weight offset from front to back of the SS190/191/192/194/195 bullet.
The hollow cavity at the front makes the bullet being butt heavy.

This causes the bullet to tumble/yaw but since it doesn't happen with every shot, there are "outside" conditions that would cause this to expedite the tumbling.

Sorry if it appeared that I made it sound like it happened all the time. it does not, but it can happen due to many factors.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I've had some keyholes when shooting at the indoor range.
Not all the time but a handfull of times in the past year(out of 2000 rounds or one case of SS195).
I shoot 1" thick cardboard with a "Shoot'N See" target on it.

edit: I can take a picture next time it happens(with my cell phone) or save the target if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
BowevelJoe said:
What exactly is keyholing? Like it does not penetrate the target?
It would mean that the round is at an angle when it hits the paper, instead of straight on.

But, so far, my Five Seven hasn't shown this to be a problem.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Plenty of shooters aren't aware of the difference between keyholing during external ballistics and bullet yaw in terminal ballistics. They confuse the terms all the time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
while I will not argue the point of fact with someone, I shot 8 rounds out of 20 from the pistol on a target at 208 yards. I did not notice any keyholing.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
blueiron said:
Plenty of shooters aren't aware of the difference between keyholing during external ballistics and bullet yaw in terminal ballistics. They confuse the terms all the time.
If you are saying keyholing is the bullet turning before impact and hits sideways on impact...then I will have to admit that I am one of those people that are confused :-?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
post-impact tumbling/upset of the bullets would describe it best.

I was confused because I was always told "keyholing" was if your target hole looked like a "keyhole".
I guess you shouldn't learn all your terminology from other range shooters you don't know :-D :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts