FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if we could just keymod the reciever instead of buying an after market rail. You know keep it all super low pro. Maybe a smooth bottom rail? Sgt stryker?

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Not me. LOL

I suppose I could jump on the bandwagon just to make a $, but I see nothing 'wrong' with the 1913 rail system.

What I find amusing is the key mod deal offers 1913 rail segments. Am I the only guy who looks at this as, "Wait a minute. We took the 1913 rail off so we could put it back on????"

...and add more parts to it while we're at it.

Sometimes simple is better.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Maybe.

v/r

-SS

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
All Keymod does is make it easier to install accessories.

Ditto what Sarge said.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There is a reason for keymod. It's not a gimmik.

1913 rails added to keymod are a technology bridge. Ideally you accessories would mount directly to the keymod, not via 1913. 1913 are available to bridge the gap for those that have 1913 only accessories and have no direct option for keymod yet.

Keymod is superior, IMO, it is much lighter than the same configuration in 1913. It actually is negative weight. 1913 adds large bulk and weight.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see. I wish the upper was out to the end of the gas block (same length the brahnam rail adds) but with out the weight of the branham..... It made my 17 a little hefty. Maybe dimple and cut the barrel. I think those key mod cuts would lose some weight. Or Mill out the rails like noveske. Maybe I'm a dreamer..... But I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I see. I wish the upper was out to the end of the gas block (same length the brahnam rail adds) but with out the weight of the branham..... It made my 17 a little hefty. Maybe dimple and cut the barrel. I think those key mod cuts would lose some weight. Or Mill out the rails like noveske. Maybe I'm a dreamer..... But I'm not the only one.
You're not. I am with you. Not only on an extended upper, but on keymod. And your beetles pun.

No fault of FN, the product was developed before keymod.

Keymod is just now getting very wide spread adoption.

There is still hesitation form some, but KAC, HK and others are adopting it and it only makes sense. Slimmer profiles are possible. Negative weight. There are only positive attributes to keymod. Nothing negative that I can come up with.

One day FN may build scars with keymod, but if that happens it will be a long way away with their primary military clients. The extruded upper is just perfect for keymod slots.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I won't say keymod is a gimmick, but it's another solution looking for a problem. It's the tacticool fashion of the moment, and will be replaced by another sooner than you think. Meanwhile 1913 rails are a ubiquitous standard that continue to get the job done. But far be it from me to tell you all to stop spending your money on the latest fashion. More money pumped into the industry is good for everyone. Me? I'll be expending my money on ammunition. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Show me how the key mod is superior to the 1913 rail when the need arises to swap out ancillary equipment, without a tool.

I may have missed it so point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

-SS

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Is it possible to cut keymod's in anodized aluminum without weakening the structure? I would just go with a different rifle if you prefer keymod's, The new Barrett Rec 7 for instance.
barrett_REC7_Gen2.jpg

·
Registered
104 Posts
I really enjoy the slimmer profile and lighter weight of keymod rails. It is a small improvement and not really worth the cost by itself. But if I was putting together a new AR it would have Keymod rails.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You would require tools I think. It would be weight savings. Most accessories use a tightening screw or Allen key so tools might need to be used anyways. Just a thought.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I do admire the keymod concept, but I can't wrap my head around how it could be done with a "stock" length receiver without allowing fraktons of dirt into it.

Extensions, a la the MI extension, sure... He'll, I'd even drop coin to get one, were it made.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Show me how the key mod is superior to the 1913 rail when the need arises to swap out ancillary equipment, without a tool.

I may have missed it so point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

-SS

If you can make an accessory that is removable/addable to a 1913 without the use of tools, then so can you for a keymod.

Here is a pretty cool idea from BCM - tool-less vertical grip keymod native:

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
If you can make an accessory that is removable/addable to a 1913 without the use of tools, then so can you for a keymod.

Here is a pretty cool idea from BCM - tool-less vertical grip keymod native:
Thats badass! I'm excited to see more companies come out with products like these. I can see both sides of the argument on keymod and I personally think its to early to give the final verdict on this system. I've passed on these rails so far due to lack of accessory options as well as the fact that I just have to go and add what was taken off. But, I think with products like this VG coming out, the future for keymod looks bright.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Time to throw out every piece of 1913 compliant ancillary equipment.

The VFG - turn to lock. Let's see that happen with a PEQ-15 and weapon light mounted in close proximity to one another.

I'm all in for improvements but I just can't wrap my head around a shelving feature as being 'better' than the 1913 system.

-SS

·
Registered
272 Posts
What makes the keymoda great concept is weight savings. What I don't like is using tools for adding or removing accessories.
I'm sure there is a way of manufacturing an upper that removes unnecessary metal while maintaining 1913 rails. This would result in maintaining tried and tested 1913 rails while providing the weight savings of the keymod.
If LWRC can make spiral fluted barrels to save weight, that concept can be applied to upper receivers. Same reliable mil spec strength with weight savings benefits.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts