FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for any first hand knowledge anyone may have on the Kimber KPD.

I don't even know if any have made it into the public yet but Impcat guns and at least one other site seems to be taking orders on them, however they don't seem to be available for shipping yet.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Here's my assesment:

1. 8-9 lb trigger DAO trigger - no good
2. Higher bore line than Glock - no good
3. 12 rounds vs 15 rounds in Glock - no good
4. Replacable back strap - ok - nice feature
5. Locking key ? - no good
6. Magzine disconnect -no good

Now, as a service pistol for the DEA that tend to shoot themselves in the foot - PERFECT. I would even lock them all down with the little key and give that to the FBI (they tend to loose things).

Seriously - nice service pistol for police. It has competition from the S&W Army & Police variants (it almost looks the same) and S&W copy of the Walther, original Walther and SpringFiled XD.

The HK and Glock are in a class alltogether by themselves - Glock being the top dog in this type of firearm. Reason? HK and XD are periscopes compared to the Glock.

Being a gun slut, I own both the Glock and the HK, Glock being a superior fighting weapon. IMHO.

Glock used to be the one to get. Now that everyone has one, people want something different - I understand that.

My 2 cents.

-TH

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
To me, it always looked like a cross between the Steyr and the S&W M&P.

It was announced in 2005, and shown at the 2006 shotshow. Then, nothing... I was starting to wonder if Kimber had changed their mind. But, it was apparently shown again at the 2007 Shot Show, and here it is.

I think the trigger weight puts it up there with the XD and P99 QA (which I don't like, but LOVE the P99 A/S trigger).

S&W ended up coming up with 2 models of the M&P - one w/o the magazine safety and lock on it, and KImber probably will eventually do the same.

To me, the boreline isn't always a problem. True, the bore axis is lowest on the Glock, but I love the Walther P99, and it's bore axis is higher. So is HK's.

I'd have to reserve judgment until I tried the gun. But, in all honesty, I don't want a gun with that heavy of a trigger. So, I have no intentions of ever buying one.

I do see that Kimber needs a gun like this to compete in the market, however.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback.

There is a range near me that is also a licensed Kimber dealer/custom shop so I am hoping they get a couple to rent and fire when they are available. I am just REALLY curious what Kimber did with this thing.

I myself would not buy one unless they came out with a 9mm in a smaller platform anyway but I am very curious about them.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, yes. I am not a 40 cal fan either. And, if the bore axis is higher, then it would be more comfortable in 9mm.

All my handguns are 9mm now, but I have had 45 ACP's in the past. Ammo costs eat ya up, though.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Well, yes. I am not a 40 cal fan either. And, if the bore axis is higher, then it would be more comfortable in 9mm.

All my handguns are 9mm now, but I have had 45 ACP's in the past. Ammo costs eat ya up, though.
Isnt that the truth!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts