FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my LGS on Sunday looking to pick myself up a pocket gun as a late father’s day present. I currently carry the Glock 26 IWB but with the warm summer months I wanted something I can throw in my pocket and carry. I of course considered a Glock 42 or 43 and was pretty set on buying the G42 till I saw a Kimber Micro Raptor sitting in the case. I’ve always wanted a Kimber and I loved the look/feel of it in my hand. It holds the same 6+1 as the Glock did so I couldn’t help myself and picked it up instead of the G42. My wife has the Sig P238 scorpion and it’s almost a copy of that just a little nicer made.

I was planning on testing out a new 300 BLK load I was working up so I bought a box of plinking ammo and a box of federal hydra shock. I fired off all of the FMJ’s and 20 of the hydra shocks and it functioned flawlessly. I ordered myself a pocket holster and an extra extended (7 round) magazine today. Definitely a nice gun. Cost almost double the G42 though and for that price you really should get 2 magazines!

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
We went to the gun store as my wife had been looking at all the literature on the Kimber Micro and wanted to actually handle one. It took her about 10 minutes to find the Sig P-238. Two trips and 150 rounds later she has a modern gun she likes as much as her (older than dirt) .25 Baby Browning

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I really like the wife’s P238 scorpion.I told her I was keeping it since it matches my 1911 Scorpion TB. We got them at the same time as a matching set (I know corny right?).What I don’t like is that the slide won’t always go forward and I have to manually push the slide forward with my thumb at least 2-3 times per magazine.One of the gun shop guys said it’s a common problem if you hold the gun with your thumbs high on the slide and make contact with it as the slide goes forward.Makes sense since it’s got such a light recoil spring.I haven’t had a chance to try it with keeping my thumbs out of the way since I found out so I’m not sure if that’s the issue with it or not.I didn’t have the problem with the Kimber (maybe again because I am more aware of the issue now or because it has a little heavier spring).They are almost identical twins but I just feel the Kimber is better made of the two since I own and have shot both.I’ll try and take a picture tonight and post it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I used to have the plane jane black Micro and I loved it. Of course I couldn't help myself and traded it to try out the Sig P238 which is the same gun. I found that out too, you can't ride the slide at all due to the light recoil spring. It makes it so shooting it is a real joy and racking it for people with weak hand strength or bad arthritis is very easy and painless. I bet you could put a stronger recoil spring in there to give some more reliability if you were to place a little pressure on the slide. I found out that you can only place a very slight amount of gun grease on the rails as that was enough to cause FTEs. As long as a minimal amount of gun grease was placed and you didn't ride the slide it ran like a top. Congratulations on your new toy!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!The P238 was only the second 380 I’ve ever shot.The first was the Walther PPKS laser engraved that I bought my wife.She loved the look of it and we made it officially her first gun.Of course that has the exact opposite problem and she can’t work the slide at all so I have to do it for her and it’s the toughest slide of ANY handgun we own.The recoil feels more than my 1911 and she prefers to shoot my 1911 over the PPKS but she won’t let me just sell it because it was the first gun I bought her (very sentimental).It hasn’t been shot in several years at this point and is never something either of us consider bringing to the range when we go.She absolutely loves the p238 though because she can work the slide no problem and doesn’t have the issues I have.

I used to have the plane jane black Micro and I loved it. Of course I couldn't help myself and traded it to try out the Sig P238 which is the same gun. I found that out too, you can't ride the slide at all due to the light recoil spring. It makes it so shooting it is a real joy and racking it for people with weak hand strength or bad arthritis is very easy and painless. I bet you could put a stronger recoil spring in there to give some more reliability if you were to place a little pressure on the slide. I found out that you can only place a very slight amount of gun grease on the rails as that was enough to cause FTEs. As long as a minimal amount of gun grease was placed and you didn't ride the slide it ran like a top. Congratulations on your new toy!

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah that is a beauty. Unfortunately it is very stiff recoil spring to overcome due to it being a straight blowback system. I love shooting PPKs but only while wearing a glove. I have had some nasty slide bite left behind after a range day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a comparison pic next to the wifes P238. It’s almost identical looks wise but the finishes on the Micro are just noticeably nicer then the P238. The serrations on the top of the slide and front and back strap are much more grippy then the 238. Don’t get me wrong I love the 238 also I just feel the Kimber is an upgrade (at a higher cost of course).

Attachments

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Ya, Kimber has some nice quality.

Reactions: TheCameraMan79
1 - 9 of 9 Posts