FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://kineticdg.com/product/sas-scar-adaptable-stock-magpulbrown/

So what is the deal with these fellas? I know guy on here has a black one for sale and I had never seen them before. What does this forum think? Is it worth $300? God knows we've all spent enough on our scar 17. LOL

Seriously though if you guys recommend it I will pick one up. Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
9,029 Posts
Weren't they discussed in a thread maybe a month or so ago, when it was determined the cheek rest ended up being too low to accommodate an optic even when in the raised position?

Reactions: 00stormbringer

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weren't they discussed in a thread maybe a month or so ago, when it was determined the cheek rest ended up being too low to accommodate an optic even when in the raised position?
I dont know. If all ready covered sorry for the new thread.

·
Premium Member
9,029 Posts
I can't find it but there are quite a few threads on it. It's pretty much an ACR stock right, if you search for photos the ACR stock's centerline axis is definitely lower than the SCAR's not sure how that would affect perceived recoil and handling but from the photos I can't see it being an equal height when raised compared to the SCAR. That may or may not matter to some but would seem to put you out of the eye box. It does look cool though.

I dont know. If all ready covered sorry for the new thread.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Thats what I read too, cheek riser too low vs OEM. It is possible that there were tradeoffs beween the cheek riser height and the stock blocking the ejection port. I still never got a solid answer it it will fire with the stock folded and collapsed...whick is holding up my purchase as i have already bought the MRex....very light and srreamlined!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: IKEWarrior04

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Gear Review: SAS SCAR Stock from Kinetic Development Group - The Truth About Guns

I wondered the same yesterday. The other threads are about a stock adapter with the actual ACR stock. Not that it matters because from what I have read this stock is almost a 1:1 copy of an ACR stock. It does stay folded due to spring tension. Nick doesn't complain about the comb height but with that EOtech who's to say if that would apply to you. Read the article there is some decent info in there. The price and the fact that I don't have any problems with the Boot is what stops me.

Reactions: Patton250

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
The adapter with the ACR stock does lock when folded. I have one and it uses spring tension and plastic locking tabs to do the job. as far as the cheek rest being too low I have no problem with my Vortex PST with ADM mount. Other than the stinking hook not digging into my cheek and the more gradual slope on the cheek rest I don't believe this stock is worth the money.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I bought one and sold it already... As others have reports tension keeps it folded, but it rests against the deflector... Comb height is likely more of an issue if you're running a scope... I was fine with my eo tech. I liked it ok but in the end I didn't think it was worth the extra coin for my uses...

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The adapter with the ACR stock does lock when folded. I have one and it uses spring tension and plastic locking tabs to do the job. as far as the cheek rest being too low I have no problem with my Vortex PST with ADM mount. Other than the stinking hook not digging into my cheek and the more gradual slope on the cheek rest I don't believe this stock is worth the money.
I bought one and sold it already... As others have reports tension keeps it folded, but it rests against the deflector... Comb height is likely more of an issue if you're running a scope... I was fine with my eo tech. I liked it ok but in the end I didn't think it was worth the extra coin for my uses...
Thanks guys. What price would it have to be for you to keep it? Or in your case Dawgfan worth it?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm surprised more thought didn't go into the overall design of this stock as far as optics being mounted and the stock locking method and the fitment. The stock looks like it sits lower on the receiver also and not conducive to cutting down on recoil imo, not as inline if you will. I'd like to have an original Fal folder with an added cheek piece for optics, but I'm old school/dinosaur I guess. :biggrin:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I bought a KDG rail for my 17 and the stock for my 17... Also picked up their QD front/rear... The "worth" is relative... If you look at what everything costs... The stock and the R and D for the hinge vs the competition. I think the price is about right. It just didn't do enough for me personally to keep the money invested in it. Or I guess I didn't dislike the OEM as much as some folk do... $300 could go toward another build, ammo, or anything... The rail on the other hand was light and gave me the real estate I desired so it's a keeper.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I picked up one of these used a few weeks back off of the FN SCAR owners page on Facebook. Used it for a while on the 17S, now have it on the 16S. In short:

Pros: Light weight, much more rigid than the OEM stock, slimer profile, looks cool.

Cons: lower cheek rest, does not lock closed, button used to retract the stock is a pain in the arse. Also, this does not work with the PMM rear QD mount, at least for me.

Over all, I like the KDG ACR adapter. It eliminates the problems I had with the OEM stock, and I think it's a step in the right direction. The lower cheek rest is a bit annoying. I found it worked fine in the raised position with my ACOG when standing or kneeling, but missed the higher rest when shooting my 17S from the bench or prone. The lack of a lock when folded is another negative, but it does seem to stay in place very well, similar to the older Para FAL or Galil folding stocks. I also appreciate it's lighter weight over the OEM stock, but found that it didn't compliment the feel on my 17S. On my 16S, however, it feels perfect, and I can't wait to try it out with a 10.5" barrel once my Form 1 comes back. I think for that purpose, and with an unmagnified, unlimited eye relief optic like an EOTech, the KDG stock will be perfect.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Alpha, is there any chance of you taking an actual video of the SCAR 17 firing with the KDG stock folded and fully collapsed? I'm on the fence as far as purchasing goes. Failure to function properly when folded and fully-collapsed would be strike three for me with a too-low comb height and failure to lock-in when folded being strikes one and two, respectively. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Alpha, is there any chance of you taking an actual video of the SCAR 17 firing with the KDG stock folded and fully collapsed? I'm on the fence as far as purchasing goes. Failure to function properly when folded and fully-collapsed would be strike three for me with a too-low comb height and failure to lock-in when folded being strikes one and two, respectively. Thanks in advance for any help.
Ditto. Glad I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
After much wait... I believe mine is showing up tomorrow ( UPS ). If the comb height is low for my optic I will improvise. I know it may not be for everyone but modifying something to meet user demands is just how some things are. I had gotten poked in the eye a couple of times from the rear sight when running my my Elcan... with the OEM boot anyways..... something about too much trigger " happy " and I couldn't get out of it when laying down a string of lead .... ! ( it's a disease I'll tell you )
I talk with and see a few military guys and what I seem to catch frequently in their sandbox pics is high end accessories with personalized mods for war fighting. Maybe it's me but as I progress in the hobby ... I like to alter things to suit my needs.
I don't know how I feel about the stock not locking folded.... cross that when & if it happens.

Just my .02 !

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'll see what I can do, and try to get a video of it tomorrow or Wed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts