FN Herstal Firearms banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I appreciate all the help. I tried about 2 cups of water, 2 drops of Dawn and 2 tsp of Lemishine BOOSTER. Soaked the cases and agitated a bit. (Now the sad part about It...I have NO life!) and cleaned the inside of each case with a Q-Tip. Anal??? Yes. But I am trying to make (at least in the beginning) the cases as close to pristine to eliminate any issues.

Also, I notice each spent case has a very noticeable chunk out of the rim. I polish it off but wonder what causes it? Only a few cases hit cement but most all land on the bench or in the grass.

Ideas??

·
Registered
927 Posts
I appreciate all the help. I tried about 2 cups of water, 2 drops of Dawn and 2 tsp of Lemishine BOOSTER. Soaked the cases and agitated a bit. (Now the sad part about It...I have NO life!) and cleaned the inside of each case with a Q-Tip. Anal??? Yes. But I am trying to make (at least in the beginning) the cases as close to pristine to eliminate any issues.

Also, I notice each spent case has a very noticeable chunk out of the rim. I polish it off but wonder what causes it? Only a few cases hit cement but most all land on the bench or in the grass.

Ideas??
The RCBS case prep station comes with a little pipe cleaning type brush that is good for cleaning the inside of the cases. You can buy just the brush and do it by hand much faster than using a Q-Tip. I use it on the case prep station when I am deburring the mouth of the case after trimming.

It is likely where the extractor goes over the rim when the bolt closes. It then goes the other way when the extractor pulls the case out (with the help of the blow-back). It may do it less once the extractor spring loosens up a bit.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Sorry to ask but how the hell do I create a new post?????????
Trying to see if anyone loading the 5.7 x 28 knows if the Sierra Blitz King 40g data is the same as the Sierra Hornet 40g??
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this has been beat to death.....BUT

After reloading for almost 35 years I find it hard to swallow that 5.7x28 brass MUST be coated with Lacquer to function in weapons chambered for it.

A few thoughts, first of all it might not be a "scientific" observation but if you rub a new 5.7 round between your fingers and then compare it to a shiny brass 5.56mm casing I just removed from my Dillon vibrating tumbler the 5.56 case "feels slicker", MUCH SLICKER!

The Lacquer coating simply isn't that slick.

I've seen comments the coating is required for it to feed through the P90/PS90 magazine, I've also seen comments that it's required for extraction from the FiveseveN or the P90/PS90.

On the magazine thought, I run Man Kave rollers and Elite Ammunition extra power springs, that should overcome "drag" issues. If it's an extraction issue, why in the hell didn't FN flute the chamber to assist in extraction like HK does on many of their weapons.

I've seen nickel plated 5.7 brass and that should be "slicker" than the coating. Yet no one offers plated 5.7 brass.

I'm planning to REMOVE the coating from 50 pieces of 5.7 brass and polish the hell out of it. Then I'll run it to see how it runs. I'll also then know if it's a P90/PS90 magazine issue, a failure to extract issue, or maybe I'm completely wrong and the coating is absolutely necessary.

I've seen comments from 5.7x28 reloaders that they trash their brass when the coating is damaged, I've also seen attempts to re-coat the brass with various spray coatings.

Until I make my own mistakes I will continue to believe it's a myth.

Worst case scenario is I'm going to ruin 50 pieces of brass.

Unfortunately, it will be a couple of months before I can run this experiment due to several pressing issues but I will report back if it works or is an abysmal failure.
I know this is an old thread but I just started reloading 57s so have been doing a lot of research. This is just my 2 cents from what I've read. I think the coating is to slow down the extraction. The chamber is actually belled so that brass fire forms slightly larger in the front than the back. This would also tend to slow down the extraction. It's definitely a strange set up. FN really going to great lengths to keep the details of the factory cartridges a secret. I understand the bullets may be glued into the case neck.
Anyway, I am curious what your testing with the brass revealed.
Thank you.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts