FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of the "protective laquer coating" on the 5.7 ammo?I was told that a vibratory cleaner should not be used and only a sonic cleaner and simple green or similar should be used. I have never heard of this,however I am very new to the 5.7x28(although not new to reloading)BTW I am having a blast with the ps90 5.7x28 cartridge!

·
Registered
636 Posts
yep they will turn black in a tumbler. i am still working on a better system :?:

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
The "protective laquer coating" was used mainly for the P90/PS90 for better feed and prevent failures. Once a round is fired through, the laquer coating is basically stripped. The FiveseveN Pistol doesn't really need it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So has anyone fired reloads with the coating gone in the PS90?

How big an impact on reliability and funciton does this really have?

ETA: From my searches I find lots of second hand story telling but few folks with actual experience in what happens once the coating is gone.

I guess FN's official stance is that it is necessary, but there might be ways to minimize the problem, moly on the reloads etc.

I'll do some experimenting once I start shooting and reloading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just started with the 5.7 for rifle

I have some brass I am going to reload and I will try to post as I go along .thanks to all for the replies

·
Banned
41 Posts
i think this coating thing is mostly alot of hoopla, think about how many blowback weapons have been in existance over the years and they didn't need special lubricants to work. I think its a bit of subtle marketing to try adn scare the reloaders away so they can sell more factory rounds. I'm going to be reloading some myself here pretty soon and have full confidence that they will work just as good as new ones.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm going to be reloading some myself here pretty soon and have full confidence that they will work just as good as new ones.

That's exactly what it sounds like to me.

I shoot .357 Sig which, being necked, should have the same problems and it doesn't.

I agree it sounds like marketing but I'll know soon enough.

·
Banned
41 Posts
TexasRifleman said:
I'm going to be reloading some myself here pretty soon and have full confidence that they will work just as good as new ones.

That's exactly what it sounds like to me.

I shoot .357 Sig which, being necked, should have the same problems and it doesn't.

I agree it sounds like marketing but I'll know soon enough.
If you get some finished rounds before i do, please keep us posted on the results.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have loaded some cases at least 4 times, and no problems yet. That lacquer is a lot stronger than some people believe. I have fired these loads through both a PS90 and a USG pistol.

I have even tumbled cases for a very short time, with no obvious problems.

I don't worry about the lacquer situation too much. I will probably shoot 3 or 4 times in the carbine, and then reserve those cases for the pistol.

A

·
0 Posts
I would swear that some of the reloaders here have stated that the coating wears off in 2-3 reloads, and then they have started to suffer feeding problems.

But, what do I know :oops:

·
Registered
268 Posts
From what I heard, the lacquer is used to allow proper feeding of the cartridge in the P90 magazines. Since the Five-seveN pistol doesn't utilize a 90* turn of the cartridge (appears to be a standard single-feed system), the lack of lacquer isn't a big deal. Many pistols are of a blowback or recoil action, and they function reliably with or without lacquer. I fail to see why the P90's delayed blowback action requires the use of lacquer on the case. My guess is the lacquer is required for smooth feeding in the P90 magazines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just my two cents

I have loaded a few rounds for the p90 rifle and will be trying them this week. I'll post on how they work out. I have nicked the coating on some of the cases(running them up the seater die) and have set those aside and will try them seperated from the other reloads I have made to see if they will function any differently(feeding ,extracting,etc). Metroplex brought up that the coating may be for feeding which makes sense to me,and I was wondering is something could not be put on the rollers in the magazine itself to facilitate smoother feeding if the coating has worn away. I was thinking some silicone spray perhaps?anyway I will take some lubricant with me to the range and if I have feeding problems will try to lube the rollers and see if that helps. anyone got any othe ideas?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I thought I've read posts either here or elsewhere in the past - indicating that the case expands after th round is fired. And, the coating aids in the blowback ejection of the case. Without the coating, it sticks to the chamber and doesn't feed reliably. Or so I've heard...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts