FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted last week but now that everything is set up for the purchase, I had a few last minute questions.

-Does the 17s line have "lemons" in terms of accuracy or are they all pretty much the same? I imagine they have pretty tight tolerances for a gun like this.
-What ammo should I pick up?
-What cleaning supplies do I need?
-When I recieve the gun, should I look over anything in specific to make sure everything is in order?
-Anything else a beginner should know?

Thank you all in advance for helping a newbie out :MM:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congrats, you'll be pleased, get an aftermarket trigger that would be first on my list.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
No lone I have heard of. Buy as much brass cased ammo as you can find and at the best price you can find. Wikiarms is a good resource for ammo. Get a great sling like a Blue Force and shoot the **** outta it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Check it out good but don't be freaked out if the front sight is stiff. Mine was and I thought something was wrong with it. I worked it out a little, and then heard someone else say the same thing. I also heard that the folding stock can get damaged. I had a few of the inside parts show some different colorations but I didn't worry about it like others do.

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
This discussion of FDE vs Black as to which is more accurate is probably the most juvenile discussion I have ever encountered. It is akin to my white car is better than your red car. Such discussions are totally irrelevant concerning firearms.

That being said, like all firearms, make sure you are 100% satisfied with it before you leave the gun shop with it. Take your time and review the manual beforehand (its avail on line) and check the firearm thoroughly before you leave. Break it down to satisfy your curiosity.

All manufactured items will have the occasional lemon in it. They are few and far in between with the SCARs considering there have been large numbers of them sold and the discrepancies have been all but eliminated.

Standard 30 cal cleaning supplies. Get a bore snake. Use a nylon bore brush but nothing heavier than soft brass.

Ammo is your preference but it appears that 168gr is the preferred projectile. Copper jacketed brass cased seems to be the preferred ammo for the SCARs although there are many a discussion concerning copper plated vs copper jacketed vs bi metal vs brass or steel cased. All these issues have been discussed in detail in the appropriate sub forums and you just have to take the time to read it.

Congrats on your new acquisition.

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
:smile:CONGRATS! HOPE YOU BECOME AN OWNER OF A NEW SCAR 17:? AND YES COLOR DOES MATTER EVERYONE KNOWS THE GREENBACKS ARE THE BEST:biggrin: +1 ON A BORESNAKE AND FROGLUBE. AND CLEAN IT BEFORE YOU SHOOT IT. :bullets: PRVI PARTIZAN, FEDERAL OR WINCHESTER AMMO IS ALL GOOD SCAR FOOD.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I posted last week but now that everything is set up for the purchase, I had a few last minute questions.

-Does the 17s line have "lemons" in terms of accuracy or are they all pretty much the same? I imagine they have pretty tight tolerances for a gun like this.
Every company puts out a lemon. You will find warranties, but NEVER a guarantee from anyone, ever, that you won't have to use the warranty.

Whatever you can afford. For long range, FGMM 168 gr. For CQB stuff, it doesn't really matter. I can't imagine there is much of it floating around these days, but STAY AWAY from Indian surplus.

Rod, brush, jag, patches, Hoppes, oil, steel wool.

-When I recieve the gun, should I look over anything in specific to make sure everything is in order?
Check the metal for cracks, gouges, etc. Grip the receiver and barrel and twist back and forth, there should be no play. Eyeball the barrel and make sure it is true.

Its a combat rifle. Don't baby it. I've read lots of posts on this forum from people who thought their rifle was defective because they were handling it with kid gloves and not letting it do what it was designed to do.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I Love this forum haha

Thank you all in advance for helping a newbie out :MM:
You should be good to go . Most scars are top notch from the factory. Keep the ammo non-magnetic (bi-metal) if you want to extend the life of the barrel . PPU , PMC, GGG surplus is all GTG

·
Registered
280 Posts
I Love this forum haha

You should be good to go . Most scars are top notch from the factory. Keep the ammo non-magnetic (bi-metal) if you want to extend the life of the barrel . PPU , PMC, GGG surplus is all GTG
There are 12 HK G36c rifles where I work, with 4 of them having round counts higher than 50k, much of that on full auto. Quality barrels such as those made by FNH, HK, etc. will last a plenty long time without tiptoeing around bi-metal ammo.

·
Registered
505 Posts
This discussion of FDE vs Black as to which is more accurate is probably the most juvenile discussion I have ever encountered. It is akin to my white car is better than your red car. Such discussions are totally irrelevant concerning firearms.

That being said, like all firearms, make sure you are 100% satisfied with it before you leave the gun shop with it. Take your time and review the manual beforehand (its avail on line) and check the firearm thoroughly before you leave. Break it down to satisfy your curiosity.

All manufactured items will have the occasional lemon in it. They are few and far in between with the SCARs considering there have been large numbers of them sold and the discrepancies have been all but eliminated.

Standard 30 cal cleaning supplies. Get a bore snake. Use a nylon bore brush but nothing heavier than soft brass.

Ammo is your preference but it appears that 168gr is the preferred projectile. Copper jacketed brass cased seems to be the preferred ammo for the SCARs although there are many a discussion concerning copper plated vs copper jacketed vs bi metal vs brass or steel cased. All these issues have been discussed in detail in the appropriate sub forums and you just have to take the time to read it.

Congrats on your new acquisition.

Friendly Banter between forum members is not juvenile. Juvenile would be if the BLACK SCAR owners actually believed their BLACK SCARs are more accurate than the FDE SCAR. :mrgreen:

Reactions: goretro77

·
Registered
505 Posts
On a more serious note. I would suggest picking up a "Inch" Lbs torque driver/wrench (Inch lbs NOT Ft Lbs). I picked up a WEAVER inch lbs driver for $68 I believe. You will need one anyway for mounting your scope so go ahead and get one. ALSO DO NOT FORGET TO ORDER THE DRIVER BITS YOU WILL NEED T-25 is one and whatever your scope mount uses. These are diffrent per manufacturer. My Night Force needed a 5/16 allen I believe, but not sure now.

Completely clean your rifle. Loosen all of the 6 barrel bolts T-25 bit. Re-torque to correct "INCH" Lbs. and in the CORRECT PATTERN. Do not believe everything you see on You Tube! Refer to this web site for the correct Pattern. Here is the correct way to reinstall your barrel: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-16s/20487-scar-barrel-removal-installation.html

Completely clean each and every component. Oil lightly what needs to be oiled. No more than a this coating.

Replace the the stock trigger with SCAR SUPER TRIGGER by Geissele. This is a VAST improvement over the creepy gritty stock typical Military 2 stage trigger. BUT as on my wife's SCAR 16 it was actually a decent stock trigger that we have kept for now. She is OK with it. My SCAR 17 trigger was horrible from the get go. Replaced it before I even shot it.

AMMO. Get the best ammunition you can afford. Stay away from the Bi Metal Steel Cased CRAP! For a few cents more you can pick up Brass cased non bi metal projectile ammo. I suggest using Match Grade ammunition as this rifle is capable of sub MOA groups. These rifles can shoot if fed Match Grade ammo! Your barrel will also last longer and brass case is a lot easier on the extractor than steel case ammo.

Pick up a nice higher end Scope and scope mount. This is like picking a woman. Some guys just gotta have or can only get street whores. Other guys like one night stands. The problem with those is that they always leave you hanging one way or another. AND YOUR MONEY IS GONE. Get something that will stay with you and last a life time.

Mags. Pick up as many mags as you can get. Also I suggest getting a few every month or so. Keep doing this until you can make your kid a fort out of the empty Mag Boxes. You cant have to many Mags!

Not much else to say but Good Luck and post a bunch of pictures!

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am sure as with everything that is "man made," that some are better than others but the SCAR 17 is well made and accurate. Good luck with yours.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts