FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've been going to an indoor range which requires lead ammunition instead of copper jacketed and what I've noticed since I've switched that my accuracy has gotten worse. I'm finding it difficult to hit consistent groups which wasn't as bad a when I've used other ammunition. I currently use Ultramax remanufactured ammo for 9mm. On a side note, is there a better way for removing the lead fouling in the barrel? This ammunition is extremely dirty so I've been giving the barrel a lot of elbow grease with brushes and solvent. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Moly coated lead is much less dirty than uncoated lead. It can be smokey if it's not loaded just right which can present another problem shooting indoors. It's worth trying though. Also, check zero with your gun using a rest. Different ammo will group better or worse, or it might just change your point of impact. I recently switched brands of bullets and went from a POI above my POA to below.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you don't load your own then I can't really help. If you do, get some hard cast. Check firstclassbulletsandbrass.com as they have great prices on lead in every caliber. Any good solvent will get rid of lead. Just soak a patch and apply generously and let it sit for 5-10 minutes then scrub. It may take a few times and its good practice with lead to clean everytime you shoot.

Also if you decide to use moly coat, don't use lead also. Use one or the other not both because your bore will be horrendous and take literally hours to clean out. Trust me.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That is crazy! I know the indoor range I go to will not allow jacketed but that is only in rifle. You gotta have a high power round to damage the backstop in fmj. Unless they just have a cheapo system.

If you are getting leading make sure you have the right size bullet.

(Not my videos)

Part1

Part2

That's those who cast their own know what size to size the bullet to. If you are just buying them they should give you this dimension of the bullet so after you slug your barrel you will know what to look for in your rounds.

As for a cleaner I have always used Hoppes #9 and has yet to fail me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input everyone! I just came back from the range and after putting about 150 rounds into the gun and then another 10 of the nylon frangible rounds into it, the barrel was much much cleaner. What an improvement!

·
Registered
13 Posts
dirty ammo?

hard lead will not foal your barrel but lap it -it will last very long time ... ....dirty burning powder and soft lead is a bad mix .....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts