FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first LED flashlight today - We put my dogs on a different part of my yard (I added a new fenced section) - and at night when I lock them up - I need my flashlight.

My regular Brinkman xenon bulb gets expensive with those Surefire type batteries - when you use it for a while every night.

I looked at several LED lights - as the batteries will last much longer. A lot of them fool you with that little reflector on the package (that lets you turn the LED light on to see the brightness). I wanted something of similar brightness as my Brinkman Xenonlight...

Well, I settled on a Brinkman 3W LED. It was about $30. THere was a 1W LED light from Magellan for $14. But, I figured it wouldn't be bright enough.

I've tried the light in a dark room. It's not bad. It's still not as bright (or provides as much light) as the Xenon light. But, battery life should be much better - and I think it is bright enough to fill the gap of what I need.

I want the compact size too - otherwise I would have bought a 4 LED light that ran on C batteries (it was heavy too).

But, I guess there is no way to make these LED lights quite as bright - at least not without spending a small fortune, right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I never realized how bright LED was untill I got my Streamlight on my FNP9... Man it was so cool that I found my self taking the light off the gun and using it as a flashlight.

Great for early morning feeding chores. But too expensive to carry around the yard

Been researching and Fenix seems to have the best deals on high powed LED's. 225 Lumens for under a hundred bucks.

The LED's I've seen in stores, don't say what Lumens they are...Did yours ship ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, I saw that one there last time I was @ Academy. Let us know how it holds up.

If you happen to find out how many Lumens a unit like that is please let me know.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice - They seem to go out of their way to not mention the lumens.

I did a search on the Brinkman, and I could not find the lumens listed anywhere

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
If you have a Sams Club near you, you can get a ELEMENT 3 Watt, 80 lumes flash light for about $30-$35.
Comes in a pack of two and runs about $60-$70. I can't remember the exact price.
They are great flash lights and very bright.
It feels about as tough as a maglight too.
About as bright as a Streamlight TLR-1. It also uses 3 AAA batteries.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet.

The one I bought says 3 watts and 30x brighter as well - so I wonder if its much different.

Anyway - I used mine a little while ago. It's not as bright as the xenon type small flashlights (with the 123 batteries), but its not bad. It is bright enough for what I need to do. I'm just so used to using those small xenon lights.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I prefer LED headlamps. Nothing beats hands free operation. My personal favorite brand is Princeton Tec. Petzl also makes some high quality units.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I got a surefire 65 lumen LED head a few years back, it was expensive.
I've since seen dollar store jobs with and array of LEDs that are this bright.
I got one from Cheaper than dirt for $8 that is just as bright as the surefire, though the beam isn't as tight.
I love LEDs, before they were commercially available I was making my own arrays for caving.
In this last year the super bright diodes have become much cheaper. Even affordable LED grow lights and flood lights are starting to show up.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw an 85 lumen one for $24.99 at a Wal-Mart out of town today - They didn't have it at my Wal-Mart.

I'm gonna keep what I have - but had I seen this one, I would have bought it.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My two local Wal-Marts don't have that 85 Lumen LED light I saw at an out of town Wal-Mart... Oh well.. I have enought lights :-?

I have a Scopion, 2 Brinkman Xenons and that LED Brinkman I just bought. Plus, I have the M5 light on a gun, and a 4D Maglight in my car,

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes - I think that may have been the 1 I saw. My 2 Wal-Marts don't carry it however. I may pick one up next time I got out of town.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw a nice 5.4 Watt LED at Target - but it is like $54, and about 2x the length of a mini maglight.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Picked up a couple Element K2 flashlights at Sam's yesterday (figured having a pair that used AAA batteries in addition to my LIon ones was a good idea), 150 lumens, $26 for the pair with batteries.
I got a pair of these today as a gift. They are dang bright and throw a nice spotlight up to 300 feet. Run time is quoted as 20 hours on the package for 3 AAA batteries. Not too bad considering this is a 4 watt LED.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I cant belive Im going to recomend this but...

go to the evil EBAY and type in CREE

CREE makes the most kick ass LED bulbs and lights. Most are in Asia and shipping is a bit on the high side but for less than $100 you can have a light that will burn the paint off cars from several hundred feet away(if they actually got hot). Bad guys on Meth hate how bright mine lights are as well as the non Meth heads.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts