FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if FN makes a left-handed SPR rifle? And is there anybody who shoots a right-handed SPR left-handed?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
No, and I'm sure there are. I'm right handed thankfully.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I do not own a SPR, but I run a lot of "right hand" bolt guns left handed. It is easy to do when shooting from a bench or prone when you do not have to use your weak hand for supporting the rifle. You can use the right hand to manipulate the action why leaving your trigger hand in place. It can be done without moving your cheek weld as well.

If you are someone that tends to shoot standing or on the move (should have a semi auto for this anyways), it is a bit more difficult.

I have never seen a listing for a left handed bolt gun from FN.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input guys. I emailed FN just be 100% sure they don't offer a lefty version. So my next question is: what is the difference between the SPR action and the Winchester Model 70 action? Are they the same, or is the SPR action just based off of the Model 70 action? Because I think Winchester makes a left-handed Model 70 action, so maybe I could just swap that for the stock action? Any ideas?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I don't know what the current Model 70's are, but the FN's are Pre-64 Model 70 actions. They're smooth and run great (I absolutely love the controlled round feed and claw extractor - much better IMO than Remington 700's and like systems)

Reactions: Stealth_OPS32

·
Registered
63 Posts
djv38, can you elaborate a little for me, please? I've read various things, and I probably am confusing a couple of them, so:

Are the receivers the same 'footprint' (including shape) of a Winchester Model 70 manufactured before 1964? Meaning that one of these FNs would drop right into stocks built to fit those Winchesters?
What about the triggers? Would these FNs accept triggers made for a Winchester Model 70 manufactured before 1964?

Thanks, and sorry I'm being so specific. Again, I'm trying to learn but am not an expert with either Winchesters or these new FNs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Are the receivers the same 'footprint' (including shape) of a Winchester Model 70 manufactured before 1964? Meaning that one of these FNs would drop right into stocks built to fit those Winchesters?
What about the triggers? Would these FNs accept triggers made for a Winchester Model 70 manufactured before 1964?
From my understanding, yes, the SPR receiver should drop into an Model 70 pre-64 stock (albeit with the bull barrel on the SPR's, all may not work), same with the trigger.

Reactions: bulwnkl

·
Registered
660 Posts
djv38, can you elaborate a little for me, please? I've read various things, and I probably am confusing a couple of them, so:

Thanks, and sorry I'm being so specific. Again, I'm trying to learn but am not an expert with either Winchesters or these new FNs.

Thanks.
I have a friend that has worked for what is now Browning/Winchester for over 27 years - the FN rifle is a Winchester Mod 70 action with control round feeding and yes they fit is Mod 70 stocks. Most mod 70 stocks have narrow bbl. channels so if you go "hunting" style stock, plan on opening up the bbl channel to accept the bigger diam. bbl that FN is using. As for LH Mod 70's, that boat already sailed. There are not being produced any more and have not been for some time now. I've collected just about every model of LH Mod 70 that they ever made. From the stainless classics to the safari models. They now command stupid money on Gunbroker and other gun sale websites.
IF you want to build a LH tactical rifle, the Rem 700 VS (5.5 bbl taper) is the same bbl that is used on the PSS mods. They truly are the best bang for the buck. If you are stuck on having a claw extractor action they plan on over paying for a used Win. Mod 70 and build from there or have Dakota build you one on their action which is FAR superior to the Mod 70 - but the price reflects it too! My last LH Dakota Mod 76 safari only took me 2 years to pay off at $680 a month!

Good luck on your quest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts