FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's imagine that FN is going to make an MKIV. What would you like to see ?

Here are my ideas (with due acknowledgement to the wisdom of the late Stephen Camp):

1) Increase front strap thickness by ~ 1mm, sufficient for 40lpi aftermarket checkering.

2) Three locking lugs to better handle modern +P ammo.

3) A subdued integral rail, very subdued. But still capable of mounting a light. Done right, I don't think it would ruin this pistols beautiful lines, and it might even still fit many of the same kydex holsters. Otherwise a 1913 style rail might be acceptable if no other possible alternative can be made to work.

4) Make alloy (scandium) models also.

5) Make stainless models

[My hammer has never bitten me, so I don't have any provision for that, and it is a relatively easy aftermarket fix, imo)

That's it ! Simple !

Probably never gonna happen, but hey a guy can have a fantasy, no ?

I don't know why the HP is not more popular. I recall several years ago when FN tried to make a renewed push of the FN Hi Power into the U.S.. It didn't last long, sadly. I like what FN is doing with their other pistols. I wish they made a FNX9 Longslide 5". But the HP still has so much to offer. I have seen only one other Hi Power at a IPSC or IDPA match in my life (since 2002). I hope FN does not let it languish, however. An attempt at an MKIV might bring a Hi Power revival ... or not. Perhaps in the end, it is best not to contemplate such puzzling things ? It makes my head hurt. ;)

Best,
Zippy

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Get rid of the mag safety too. I really liked the 4" version, very nice looking (maybe a slightly compact frame too?)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Get rid of the mag safety too. I really liked the 4" version, very nice looking (maybe a slightly compact frame too?)
keep the mag safety, but make it the same as the GP Competition model

offer stainless

offer reduced barrel length

do not reduce magazine capacity for a compact model

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stephen Camp too mentioned making the magazine disconnect the same as the competition model so that it wouldn't affect the trigger pull. I am unfamiliar with the disconnect on the competition model, however, so I can't speak to that. As I've heard several people mention this possibility before, it might be a good idea. I wonder about its mechanical reliability under adverse conditions ?

At any rate, the traditional disconnect safety is a feature, in my opinion. If one doesn't like that feature, then take it out. I've had mine in and out more times than I can remember. The tools needed to do the job at home are not many. Mine are currently "IN", with no complaints.

The matter of the barrel length perplexes me, however. In my experience, if the pistol is to carried concealed, then it is the butt of the pistol that is the hardest thing to hide, not the length of the barrel. The extra length of barrel seems an advantage in shooting to me, with no corresponding downside for concealment. However, if the pistol is to be kept at home, or in a vehicle, then again I see no downside to the extra barrel length. Have I overlooked something ?

If the whole pistol is to be made more compact, both butt and barrel (if that is really possible in this design ?), then I have no quarrel with that. There are a number of places where that could be advantageous for special concealment. I could use such a gun in my bathing trunks with a Smart Carry, or in a smaller fanny pack for instance.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The competition model has a sort of spring loaded rocker that pushes the trigger bar out of the way of the disconnector when there is no magazine. When the magazine is inserted, the bar is rocked about its pivot, and the trigger bar can now contact the disconnector as if there were no traditional magazine safety at all. There is none of the trigger loading, or the sliding that the original magazine disconnect has. Considering its place in the mechanism... and it failsafe nature (ie, it has to work when a magazine is in place, but could continue to work when a magazine is taken out, if it fails to retract into the safe position), its no more vulnerable than the original design.

The three locking lugs are not needed. They exist to preclude parts swapping. The GP locking is some of the nicest around, very controlled as to how long things remain locked during recoil.

Stainless would still be nice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for that information CharlieBlues. I'd like to personally handle a competition model sometime to see all the inner workings for myself. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
If the whole pistol is to be made more compact, both butt and barrel (if that is really possible in this design ?), then I have no quarrel with that. There are a number of places where that could be advantageous for special concealment. I could use such a gun in my bathing trunks with a Smart Carry, or in a smaller fanny pack for instance.
Oh, that is really possible:

The late custom gunsmith Austin Behlert made quite a few chopped compact Hi-Powers in the late 70s and through the 80s before mass-manufactured compact pistols in 9mm became the norm. The one pictured below was made by Pete Carber of Custom Arms Company (CAC) circa mid-to late 90s. Pete apprenticed under Behlert before going out on his own. unfortunately CAC is no longer in business. For size comparison, this pistol is about the same length and height as a Glock 26, but thinner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh my Dantalion ! That's quite a treasure.

I wonder how tightly that gun is sprung, i.e. what are the weights of the hammer and recoil springs ? What is that magazine baseplate, as well ? And how many rounds does the magazine hold ? Does it run reliably ? (Sorry so many questions, I did not realize a Hi Power could shrink so much ! I thought they might get as small as a Glock 19, but not a 26.)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sorry for taking a while to get back. Crazy, hectic week.
IIRC, the recoil spring is a cut down Wolff 22 lb with a Wolff extra-power hammer spring.
Capacity is 10 plus one. The base plate pictured is wood fingergroove one, also made by the gunsmith. It also has a flat one. Sights are Bo-Mar adjustables because Bo-Mars were all the rage at the time, and cutting and blending them on a Hi-Power was kind of Pete's thing (not many 'smiths put them on Hi-Powers). Also, there was some concern as to how point-of-imapact would change with different loads and 9mm bullet weights by reducing barrel length so it was felt best to go with an adjustable rear.
It is super reliable and exceptionally accurate, though it hasn't ben shot in years. Pretty much a safe queen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It sounds pretty tightly sprung. One problem for me with the HP design is the thinness of the slide gives me less to grab onto. It is a minor problem for me with higher spring weights. Still, a very beautiful little pistol. Thanks for sharing. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Let's imagine that FN is going to make an MKIV. What would you like to see ?

Here are my ideas (with due acknowledgement to the wisdom of the late Stephen Camp):

1) Increase front strap thickness by ~ 1mm, sufficient for 40lpi aftermarket checkering.

2) Three locking lugs to better handle modern +P ammo.

3) A subdued integral rail, very subdued. But still capable of mounting a light. Done right, I don't think it would ruin this pistols beautiful lines, and it might even still fit many of the same kydex holsters. Otherwise a 1913 style rail might be acceptable if no other possible alternative can be made to work.

4) Make alloy (scandium) models also.

5) Make stainless models

[My hammer has never bitten me, so I don't have any provision for that, and it is a relatively easy aftermarket fix, imo)

That's it ! Simple !

Probably never gonna happen, but hey a guy can have a fantasy, no ?

I don't know why the HP is not more popular. I recall several years ago when FN tried to make a renewed push of the FN Hi Power into the U.S.. It didn't last long, sadly. I like what FN is doing with their other pistols. I wish they made a FNX9 Longslide 5". But the HP still has so much to offer. I have seen only one other Hi Power at a IPSC or IDPA match in my life (since 2002). I hope FN does not let it languish, however. An attempt at an MKIV might bring a Hi Power revival ... or not. Perhaps in the end, it is best not to contemplate such puzzling things ? It makes my head hurt. ;)

Best,
Zippy
Yup, a rail is a big must to keep the Hi Power around for longer, as the Sig P226R, 1911, CZ 75 Shadow, and Beretta 92A1 demonstrated. Definitely agree about the competition mag disconnect or no disconnect. I think the Hi Power could be made greatly popular again with such changes. I'd prefer an upswept beavertail too to get your grip even higher.

·
Registered
9 Posts
New to this forum and I see this is an older post but my two cents?! All of the above mentioned I agree with, but I also think they should relocate the sear lever pivot point like the GP model as well Lowering the trigger pull weight. Also make the mec gar 15 rd mag standard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd really like to see a FN made equivalent of the FM made Detective model. Leave the magazine capacity at 15 (15 should be standard on all new HPs... it makes the HP competitive with the modern 'wonder' guns in terms of capacity.

So My choice would be a commander size gun, full capacity, no magazine interlock, or do as S&W does and offer both options. CZ makes a very good compact size pistol... no reason FN can't make one too. Add a high tech finish (and perhaps a high polish blue as an option) and you are good to go.

As to rails, the gun could be made both ways for those with good taste and those without... :wink: A scandium frame would be a nice touch as well...

This concept might well pump up HP sales...

V/r

Chuck

·
Registered
339 Posts
New to this forum and I see this is an older post but my two cents?! All of the above mentioned I agree with, but I also think they should relocate the sear lever pivot point like the GP model as well Lowering the trigger pull weight. Also make the mec gar 15 rd mag standard.
FN should make a cylinder & slide edition, all the good parts installed at the factory without the $1500 man hour fee tacked on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cylinder and slide parts? I'll pass... just had their safety installed on my 91 HP. Not impressed that thing is flimsy and too small. Then I was told that the hammer I got from them had the wrong diameter strut pin hole. So it got sent back. I think FN just needs to listen to the smiths that work on the gun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts