FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my scar is currently setup with a 4x acog and a angled magpul grip on the lower rail, I would like to add a sight of some sort to a canted rail in front of the acog for close quarters use. Would it be best to have a laser instead of a sight? Anything you guys can recommend would be great thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, would I need to mount the rear one behind the acog for better sight radius? I only intend to use these at distances less than 40 yards, more like indoors honestly.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I went with the Daniel Defense 1 o'clock offset and a trijicon RMR. It's towards the front of my rifle for slightly better accuracy than having it near the rear like you usually see them on a rifle. I figured the front of my rifle is more similar in distance as holding a pistol, which is what the RMR was designed for. If you're right handed, do not order the American Defense Cowitness mount, as the cam is on the left and will not allow you to mount the red dot on the right side of the rifle. If you're left handed you'll be fine, otherwise you'll need the LaRue RMR cowitness mount.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have considered an offset RMR as well but here is my thought process on that. There are 2 main reasons you would switch from your optic to an offset RMR or offset sights. #1 your main optic experiences a malfunction #2 you need less magnification than what your optic is providing at the time. Going back to reason #1. If your main optic and offset RMR malfunction what do you have to fall back on? If you left the factory iron sights on you are now forced to take the time to remove your main optic unless they co-witness. If you just go with offset irons it's a much quicker transition and there is nothing to fail. They are probably lighter as well, maybe only by a couple ounces but still.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you did something that destroyed your primary optic and a secondary optic, it would destroy irons as well.

·
Registered
569 Posts
No necessarily...both could rely on batteries
What optic relies on batteries that you can't use your factory irons with?

Good ACOG don't need batteries, rifle scopes don't need them, trijicon red dots don't need them, and with battery style red dots, you can use irons without removing the red dot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts