FN Herstal Firearms banner

Leupold Mark 4 Illuminated CQT 1-3 x 14mm HELP !!

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MillsSCAR 
#1 ·
OK I SERIOUSLY NEED HELP ON THIS ONE. I have a SCAR 17s and I have a great opportunity to own a Leupold Mark 4 cq/t to put on it , has anyone got any experience with this set up or know of a thread who has talked about it . I would literally have about $500-600 max tied up in this scope and i see there around $1000-1100 for it , what do you think ??? :th_laughing-smiley-

#4 · (Edited)
I really like my CQT's, I have both the old amber circle dot and the newer CMR2. They are clunky and overbuilt, but also rugged and dependable. They are a solid all around performer for sub 300yd shooting with the circle dot setup and beyond with the CMR2. They are a jack of all trades scope, not particularly great at one thing, but average to good at many.

I've never understood some of the bashing they've gotten, I think a lot of it is from people who didn't give them a fair shake.

Common complaints are the weight (less than many comparable scopes when you factor in they need a mount), battery life (runs longer than most eotechs with a single AA), like looking through a straw (???1x FOV is on par or greater than comparable scopes), weak illumination ( the newer red is much better than the amber) and the rails (they were the in thing when the scope was intro'ed, but aren't of much utility now.)

I have both of mine on .223 Bullpups. My only reservations about using them on a 308 SCAR would be that a 3x circle dot doesn't allow you to fully utilize the .308 range. Also the eye relief isn't as generous as some of the newer scopes, but is comparable to many of the ACOG models.

#5 · (Edited)
I've got one and it refuses to hold zero. I tried getting leupold to fix it, no luck. The recoil from a ar15 just knocks it around like a redhead stepchild. Its get a lot of hate because a lot of em are just junk. If yours works count yourself lucky.

Me, after having a leupold mark4 15x m1 start flaking the inner coating and a mark7 dangerous game scope self destruct on my 458winmag which it was advertised to be used on.... I'm no fan of leupold. Cheap junk in my opinion. Others have success with their stuff more power to them. I stick with trijicon and nightforce nowadays and I've got a couple older nikon african monarchs I use on heavier calibers. Nikon no longer makes the africans however.

Main optics for my scar17 are trijicon tr24g and a trijicon tr20g both on adm qd mounts. I ocasionally put the acog off my bcm middy on the scar just for fun. I've tried the wife's aimpoint once and I'm not a fan of red dots on rifles.

Just my opinions, mileage varies.

#6 ·
At $500 to $600 max and if it works it would be a great deal. I feel the 3x power is way to low for a .308 rifle. But to each his own. I can only attest to how nice my Night Force 2.5-10x42 is. I LOVE it. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

#7 ·
Well I think I'm gonna pass on this deal , I really want my SCAR set up for longer ranges . So ill probably go back to the Vortex Viper PST , seems everyone really likes this set up on the 17s and it does about all I need it too . Although if I had around $3k laying around I'd buy the Elcan Specter , but man that's expensive . What do those go for used ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.