FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After way too much deliberating (and blowing what should be scope money on ammo), I have decided on the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x Mod 1 with the Firedot configuration for my 17s...

That said, I am still stuck with a couple questions that can only be reliably answered by the fine folks of this forum:

1) Is the .223 configuration for BDC on the turret a big deal? I've read in scattered spots online that they can be switched to .308 but I am wondering if anyone has done so? And to that end, at what expense and can they be done by someone that has minimal technical ability (me)....

2) What quick disconnect mounting system is recommended in the $100 range? I have read good things about the Leupold Mark 2 IMS mounting system but quite frankly, I don't like the 'offset' look and am wondering if that is necessary?

Thanks in advance for the input - very much appreciated.

BW

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have the 4x12 with .556 BDC, and I've shot it alot on my 17. I just left it at 0, and used the turrets to adjust for .308
The IMS mount works just fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DTH...

Do you find that the offset nature of the IMS mount is necessary? My personal preference from a 'looks' standpoint is for a non offset mount with QD.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The offset is for proper eye positioning on an AR with short rail. It's not necessary on the SCAR, but works fine. I originally had mine on a heavy barrel varmint rifle. Since it wasn't any more accurate than my 16, sold it. My mount was free btw, Optics planet special.

For QD, ADM seems to be the preferred mount on this forum. I tried a Larue on my 17 with a different scope. I'm a big fan of their mounts but it would not hold zero after remounting on the 17, and left scratch marks along the undersurface of the rail. I went with a different mount . There is a whole thread on the subject in the accessories forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts