FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that the NRA is going to be the big boogieman this coming election cycle in many areas. This is obviously an effort to fill Congress with anti-gun politicians, I just happen to live in an area where they are not lying about it.

My wife and I have been accosted several mornings in a row at our train stop by young people with clipboards, petitioning registered Democrats to get their guy in the House of Representatives. The main issue he is running on is standing up to the NRA, and they left me alone after learning that I'm an NRA member and obviously not a registered Democrat.

They left quickly after talking to me but did get some signatures with their message though and he is not the only politician using this shtick to get votes in liberal leaning areas around here. Local TV ad campaigns for various politicians are focused on the same issue of standing up to the NRA and/or "gun lobby" (aka. us.) Slander ads use a positive NRA rating as a negative for their political opponents, etc.

While the NRA and other groups have millions of members, far from all gun-owners in the country belong to one of these groups, and most membership numbers probably overlap quite a bit between the groups. There is strength in numbers, and the more individual members we can claim, the less likely the "gun-lobby" argument is to hold water (really, it doesn't already.)

So, if you (or a gun-owner you know) are not a member of the NRA, why? Are you/they a member of another group?

Are you (or someone you know) a member of the NRA, but not another group (national or local)? Why?

Do you donate money beyond your membership dues to the group(s) you are a member of?

Would you consider donating an NRA (or other group) membership to someone you know or a stranger if they cannot afford it or are on the fence about its worth? How would you propose reaching potential members eligible for a donation of an initial membership?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I just upgraded from the standard lifetime membership to the Endowment Membership today. It was $250 I wasn't planning to spend, but this upcoming midterm election is one that 2A supporters can't afford to not contribute to.

If you are on this forum and haven't put your money where your mouth is....

....well...?

Once the freedom is lost, it can't be regained...without more than a small monetary contribution to regain it. Anyway...think about it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty good to see some dedicated folks :)

I know there are people who refuse to be a member, do any of you know why? How about those friends we all have that just can't be bothered to join, how do we convince them and is donating a membership useful?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Multiple memberships (lifetime) or long term besides what is in my sig line, Active in my community, Have gifted multiple memberships to serveral different groups and yes I do donate yearly beyond any membership dues, both locally and nationally to 2 major pro-firearm groups.

Reactions: monsterdog

·
Registered
385 Posts
I donate anonymously and regularly to NRA and to candidates and representatives who support and uphold Constitutional ideals. But I do not want to add my name to any more lists than necessary. I am sure the NSA can and will avail itself of the roster of malcontents and reactionary right-wing sociopaths the NRA maintains in its database whenever they choose.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not want to add my name to any more lists than necessary. I am sure the NSA can and will avail itself of the roster of malcontents and reactionary right-wing sociopaths the NRA maintains in its database whenever they choose.
Donating and posting here has already made it possible to trace your allegiance. The only way to avoid being marginalized is to join (or make) a group with so many members it cannot be ignored. A lot of gun owners do not like the NRA and I'm trying to figure out why. Have you considered joining GOA, or maybe even one of the more obscure organizations out there?

I assume your name calling was meant sarcastically, or you wouldn't donate :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Pretty good to see some dedicated folks :)

I know there are people who refuse to be a member, do any of you know why? How about those friends we all have that just can't be bothered to join, how do we convince them and is donating a membership useful?
I'll play devil's advocate here. My step father is an NRA member and is always trying to talk me into becoming a member.

Im sorry, but the guys who are in charge of the NRA shouldn't be millionares because of it. They are in it for the profit, and they absolutely love it when the liberals get yall riled up so they make more money. Sure, they do some good, but the whole getting rich from it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I am a former marine who shot expert, I own a rifle and a handgun and know how to use them, that's my 2A defense. I don't have to pay money to some greasy palmed lawyers and political lobbyists.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate here. My step father is an NRA member and is always trying to talk me into becoming a member.

Im sorry, but the guys who are in charge of the NRA shouldn't be millionares because of it. They are in it for the profit, and they absolutely love it when the liberals get yall riled up so they make more money. Sure, they do some good, but the whole getting rich from it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I am a former marine who shot expert, I own a rifle and a handgun and know how to use them, that's my 2A defense. I don't have to pay money to some greasy palmed lawyers and political lobbyists.
I'm going to play Devil's advocate to your playing Devil's advocate. First off, with all due respect and more respect on top of that, thank you for serving. Second, I understand the sentiment behind not trusting people who make money. However, just distrusting someone because they make a lot of money is actually what liberal fears breed on ......and it comes from a lack of understand of Capitalism. We pay people who perform a service to us. The bigger the service, the more we pay them. I am glad the leadership in the NRA makes a lot of money, because it means we can attract and justly compensate those who serve a large number of people. You don't have to contribute to the NRA, and I absolutely am against throwing money in blindly. Do the research. Figure out why you should or shouldn't. But any big organization has to pay their top leadership handsomely, or else they will go work for someone else. And honestly, that they don't have to earn money elsewhere means that they don't have to be distracted and can focus on leading. It's a lot of work heading an organization. More than most can imagine. It is unfortunate that our men in uniform are compensated so poorly, and their compensations are political footballs for politicians who embody evil.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Canceled my membership a few weeks ago after I got mail urging me to support Cornyn in the republican primary. I won't support groups supporting progressives. No matter who they are. GOA and TRA now get my dollars.

PS AP....you're wasting your keystrokes......

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The NRA definitely has its problems, giving good grades to bad politicians is just one of them. They seem to have gotten better and less anxious to compromise since the last AWB though.

I rewrote my original post several times, and it began with me explaining why I am an NRA member but make most of my donations to other groups. I deleted that content because I wanted to figure out and understand why other gun owners are for/against the NRA without poisoning the conversation too much.

So here is the original sentiment:

I am an NRA member because there is value in having a large group with a big membership, both as a showpiece for our support but also as a lightning rod for all the liberal hate. However, there is also value in having well funded organizations who fly more under the radar and who has an easier time getting their foot into Congress.

The NRA is the biggest group out there with 5+ million members, if we could double or triple that membership (despite our dislike of some of the things they do or say), it would be a much better argument for not ignoring gun owners. A membership is around $20/yr, to me the membership number alone is worth that price, and I'll just make bigger and better donations elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Canceled my membership a few weeks ago after I got mail urging me to support Cornyn in the republican primary. I won't support groups supporting progressives. No matter who they are. GOA and TRA now get my dollars.

PS AP....you're wasting your keystrokes......
LoL why am I wasting keystrokes? Just as important to me as gun ownership is the ability to enterprise. In fact, I would say teaching and instilling the entrepreneurial spirit is more important to me than gun ownership....because I don't think you can value that level of freedom (entrepreneurship) and not value the freedoms of owning a gun.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The NRA definitely has its problems, giving good grades to bad politicians is just one of them. They seem to have gotten better and less anxious to compromise since the last AWB though.

I rewrote my original post several times, and it began with me explaining why I am an NRA member but make most of my donations to other groups. I deleted that content because I wanted to figure out and understand why other gun owners are for/against the NRA without poisoning the conversation too much.

So here is the original sentiment:

I am an NRA member because there is value in having a large group with a big membership, both as a showpiece for our support but also as a lightning rod for all the liberal hate. However, there is also value in having well funded organizations who fly more under the radar and who has an easier time getting their foot into Congress.

The NRA is the biggest group out there with 5+ million members, if we could double or triple that membership (despite our dislike of some of the things they do or say), it would be a much better argument for not ignoring gun owners. A membership is around $20/yr, to me the membership number alone is worth that price, and I'll just make bigger and better donations elsewhere.
Thanks for laying this all out!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
LoL why am I wasting keystrokes? Just as important to me as gun ownership is the ability to enterprise. In fact, I would say teaching and instilling the entrepreneurial spirit is more important to me than gun ownership....because I don't think you can value that level of freedom (entrepreneurship) and not value the freedoms of owning a gun.
Totally and completely agree. My apologies for the misunderstanding. Simply was trying to say that your argument was going to fall on deaf ears.

To md - i do understand where you're coming from there, but lately i am in no mood to make compromises for any reason, as i see compromises as having led us down the path to our current situation.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Something that shouldn't be forgotten. Just because someone is a democrat doesn't mean they are bad. There are a lot of true pro-gun democrats out there that are being made to feel unwelcome in their own party because of their gun stance. Then they get alienated by conservatives because of their democratic affiliation. Also remember just because someone is a republican doesn't mean they are gun friendly. Some may just be neutral on the subject and won't have any problems compromising our gun rights in favor getting something they want. JFK was a NRA member of the Democrat Party, and Raegan (as much as i love him) did sign into law the 1986 Automatic weapons ban.

So at the end of the day even if you fight like cats and dogs over the economy, welfare, and foreign aid. If you both have the same opinions on gun rights then that is worth shaking hands over.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts