FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PARTY CONDEMNS SENATORS FOR RESTRICTING GUN RIGHTS

The Libertarian Party of South Carolina condemned (by name) seventeen State Senators who killed a bill that would have done away with permitting requirements for the carrying of concealed firearms.
According to a press statement issued by the party, “their justification is that this right has been infringed for 140 years and should be continued to be violated.”
The statement added that it was time South Carolinians stop electing lawmakers who “consider their opinions to be greater than the Constitution,” adding that “when the election comes and it’s time to vote realize that a Libertarian (candidate’s) first oath is to the Constitution not to party politics.”
Only four Senators – Lee Bright, Tom Corbin, Shane Martin and Katrina Shealy – voted to move the measure forward.

Read more at http://www.fitsnews.com/2014/02/20/libertarians-livid-anti-gun-vote/#uIwWTVb3stP03smv.99

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Damn I was hoping more states would follow through.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Why republicans need to be watched closely and primaried if they stray. Here's hoping some of our federal establishment Republicans like Mitch McConnell get knocked off in their primaries this year...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sen. Cornyn in Texas MUST GO! Vote STEVE STOCKMAN! That man is LEGITIMATE!

Reactions: Shap

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Gary Johnson (Libertarian Presidential Candidate in 2012) got nearly 1% of the popular vote (over 1 million votes nationwide).

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I wonder if it was about money for the state. Fees...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Therein lies the problem, people keep voting for republicans thinking they are different from democrats, but both parties collude and 'compromise' to maintain the status quo.
You're right, but I can see why people are afraid to vote outside the mainstream. Currently it is throwing your vote away (which of course will continue being that way until people decide they've had enough), but at least Republicans are not a straight party line vote every single time like the Democrats.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Just a little followup from SC State Senator Tom Young:
Open Carry of Handguns: Last week, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted 17-4 not to advance a bill that would allow the open or concealed carry of handguns without a permit. The bill, as amended, would have allowed felons convicted of rape, narcotic drug dealing, burglary, grand larceny, dog fighting and a host of other serious felony charges to legally possess and openly carry firearms under South Carolina law. Further, it would have allowed open carry by the convicted felons listed above (and others) into day cares and churches. I voted with the majority in not moving it forward to the full Senate.

The proposed law is here: 2013-2014 Bill 115: Constitutional Carry Act - South Carolina Legislature Online

BTW, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley says she supports a proposed bill that would make it legal to carry guns without a permit or training.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
You're right, but I can see why people are afraid to vote outside the mainstream. Currently it is throwing your vote away (which of course will continue being that way until people decide they've had enough), but at least Republicans are not a straight party line vote every single time like the Democrats.
I hear you and yes, I have had enough. I often say, "'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts