FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what results others have had but mine will not cycle light loads (using the gas piston marked light loads) has any one found a solution for this? I know why it is done but what works to fix it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have not shot "light loads" but I have shot a few boxes of wally world Federal Field and Target 8 shot 1-1/8oz 3 dram with no problems. I have heard that 1200 fps + and you should be fine. Now for the "light load" and reduced recoil loads, I would not be surprised if those didn't work out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have not shot "light loads" but I have shot a few boxes of wally world Federal Field and Target 8 shot 1-1/8oz 3 dram with no problems. I have heard that 1200 fps + and you should be fine. Now for the "light load" and reduced recoil loads, I would not be surprised if those didn't work out.
Those are the dirtiest rounds I have shot to date. Mine wouldn't even cycle after a morning at the range using the federals.

Update: Even with a clean gun mine will no longer cycle non-nitro rounds. 1200+ marked rounds will not cycle either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you lube all of the moving parts good? I apply a light coat of Mobil 1 synthetic to the piston rings, mag tube where piston rides, the sliding surface of the plastic sleeve of the operating rod assembly and the bolt/bolt carrier.

If your piston is all crudy just soak it in gasoline overnight and blast it with compressed air afterwards. Good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did you lube all of the moving parts good? I apply a light coat of Mobil 1 synthetic to the piston rings, mag tube where piston rides, the sliding surface of the plastic sleeve of the operating rod assembly and the bolt/bolt carrier.

If your piston is all crudy just soak it in gasoline overnight and blast it with compressed air afterwards. Good luck
Yeah cleaned pretty good. I have a call in to FN, we'll see what they come back with as far as suggestions go. Never tried car oil before... anyone know if there are negative side to using Mobil 1?

·
Registered
87 Posts

I spoke with FN today and the guy cringed when I mentioned oiling the piston area with Mobil 1. He said that area should be dry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
stevemr2t said:

I spoke with FN today and the guy cringed when I mentioned oiling the piston area with Mobil 1. He said that area should be dry.
I realize the manual does not mention oiling the piston rings, but any time you have metal on metal sliding surfaces you really need some sort of lubrication. The friction will quickly wear one or both of the sliding surfaces very without lubrication on metal to metal fits. It doesn't take alot, just a thin film. People have been using Mobil 1 synthetic for years to lube their AR's (indluding the gas rings) with great results, just do a quick search on arf.com. It beats the heck out of CLP.

·
Registered
87 Posts
texasaggie said:
stevemr2t said:

I realize the manual does not mention oiling the piston rings, but any time you have metal on metal sliding surfaces you really need some sort of lubrication. The friction will quickly wear one or both of the sliding surfaces very without lubrication on metal to metal fits. It doesn't take alot, just a thin film. People have been using Mobil 1 synthetic for years to lube their AR's (indluding the gas rings) with great results, just do a quick search on arf.com. It beats the heck out of CLP.
I don't deny it sounds solid, but I'd have to think the folks that designed and built the gun would know the best cleaning procedures.....

They are sending me another gas valve for free so I might try one dry and the other using the mobil 1.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have tried "reduced recoil" "managed recoil"
and std 2 3/4 "trap" style loads-

None will cycle my SLP with the light gas piston...

It functions perfectly with 2 3/4 buckshot or
slugs, but nothing lighter!

Do the Winchesters have a different gas system???

Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have shot over 500 rounds of Wally world 3 dram 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 and 8 shot with my SLP.

It cycles great never had a problem

It also does slugs, buckshot, I have shot some 1 oz loads too.

It seem to eat anything I give it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts