FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy... I have noticed that 5.7 MkII has had issues with "light strikes". Started out maybe once in a 100 rounds. I took it back where I bought and they went through it and it seemed to improve. But last time at the range we were doing low round count drills and the gun got progressively worse. By the last drill it was "light striking" every other round.

As I was cleaning it after, I noticed that sometimes the slide doesn't close completely... it remains about 1/8" open. Wondering if this what is happening when it "light strikes" and I'm just not realizing it. Or wondering if this is why I've seen people talking about a heavy duty spring?

I also am not stoked with the trigger... and need I left--handed holster that will work with a light.

Any insights appreciated!

·
Premium Member
14,048 Posts
Welcome to Forum!
1 is this a brand new Five-seveN or purchased used?
2. what ammunition are you using?
3. clean the Five-seveN thoroughly after each use!

Your problem could be brass shavings stuck around the firing pin! remove the firing pin and spring and make sure there is nothing preventing proper movement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

1) Five Seven was purchased new a couple years back and I've probably put somewhere between 500-700 rounds through it total.
2) I'm using both the blue tip FN ammo as well as American Eagle... both are "light striking". Gun has done this from the start, but has recently gotten much worse.
3) I'm understanding the importance of regular cleaning with this particular gun... (I also own an XD40 and have probably 3000-4000 rounds through it with zero issues and not exercised the best best gun cleaning habits. I think I've had one or two light strikes with it... has never once jammed.)

Do you have a video you recommend for how to remove the firing pin? Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
For cleaning you can't compare the 5.7 cartridge guns to anything else because of the special coating on the brass. Take your barrel out, use a 38 cal or larger brush and scrub the chamber with your favorite cleaner. Alot here use a carb cleaner, I use a bore cleaner and I also use a stainless brush in a drill and let 'er rip for a good 30 seconds. Cleans the chamber of all unwanted brass coating residue easily. This solves alot of issue with the various 5.7 guns.

Lester talked about the firing pin, I've actually had one of mine gunk up before causing exactly what you're speaking of. I should have pulled it apart but instead used a dental pick to get the gunk out from it and around it. That cleared up my problem quick and it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For cleaning you can't compare the 5.7 cartridge guns to anything else because of the special coating on the brass. Take your barrel out, use a 38 cal or larger brush and scrub the chamber with your favorite cleaner. Alot here use a carb cleaner, I use a bore cleaner and I also use a stainless brush in a drill and let 'er rip for a good 30 seconds. Cleans the chamber of all unwanted brass coating residue easily. This solves alot of issue with the various 5.7 guns.

Lester talked about the firing pin, I've actually had one of mine gunk up before causing exactly what you're speaking of. I should have pulled it apart but instead used a dental pick to get the gunk out from it and around it. That cleared up my problem quick and it hasn't happened again.
That's interesting... Maybe I have couple issues going on...
1) special ammo coating might be gunking up the barrel - slide not closing completely.
2) firing pin may have some brass shavings - light strikes

Is this why some people sell a more heavy duty spring? To ensure the slide closes?

I have a .223 tip for cleaning the barrel... will run that through a few more times tonight. I also saw a video of someone putting CLP on the firing pin spring... and then "dry firing" it straight down into a white cloth to clear debris in the firing pin slot. Is that OK? Or am I just inviting dust and gunk with the CLP on the firing pin spring/channel?

This is all obviously a big big deal to me... if I can't reliably solve for this issue, I'm going to sell this thing. Can't imagine actually relying on this for self-defense and then having it jam multiple times as I tried to defend myself.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The firing pin only happened to me one time. Used the dental pick, some gun solvent and some compressed air to clean it throughly without disassembly. Seemed to do the trick and hasn't happened again. I will also say this was with the pull down SS190 brass that used to be available so I wasn't sure if there was a primer coating that was coming off or what. Only happened with it the one time. Give yours a good scrub and I'm sure you'll be good to go. The same gun of mine is my daily carry, no fear of it going down when it's needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts