FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you guys might want to see the project I have been working on for the last week.

I machined an aluminum sleeve to hold a LED, and slit the side so that the light would come out via the slit. I also machined 2 small delrin rings for either end of the LED carrier to prevent the alum from scratching the glass over the rear light pickup.

I then machined some delrin into a on/off switch holder, and battery case for a set of thin watch batteries. The battery holder fits very tightly into the sling passthrough which is right behind and under the sight.

The last step was to solder it all up together, and mount the switch holder on a small metal strip that allows the switch to be retained by the halo mfg side rail.

the whole setup allows the LED to shine down into the light pickup for the rear reticle (the "T" shaped part of the reticle) and illuminates that for ya. Was a genuine pain in the ass to make, but as it saved me from a $900+ compact ACOG, it was worth it. :)

Hope you guys enjoy the pics.

OnyxSkyDV

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thanks much! Was a good excuse to play around with my new mini-lathe. Hopefully I will get my Form1 suppressor started here before too long.

Cheers!

Onyx

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
WOW!
I like that much better than the REM(sorry m1p90 :( )
If you make some more I would buy one. :idea:

·
Registered
95 Posts
i have a lighted sight in the works also...but i used a light add-on from a Trophy Ridge compound bow scope. Should have it done this week. we shall see!

·
Vendor
5,704 Posts
Very nice job! That is along the lines of My REM 2.
The REM 2 will have the LED fit in the well of the light collector so there will be no scattered light. The battery housing will be attached via the side rail screw holes and have an adjustment knob/dial so you can adjust the brightness of the LED. We are working on a red/green combo LED so you can choose what color you want for any given situation. Brian (from Monolitharms) is finishing the drawings next week and hopefully we can have a prototype done by sometime next month.
Keep your fingers crossed... I've been trying to get this into production since the fall of last year.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Ya'll are good. I still have my stock white ring sight. But, I don't think I'm quite the tinkerer that you guys are.

TA

·
Vendor
5,704 Posts
I don't know if Onyx is building them for sale to others. He hasn't said either way. He did a fantastic job though!!! way better then I could do by myself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
He told me that he is considering making them but I know he'll get flooded with requests if this happens. Hes still thinking about it, I'm sure he realizes that he will have many requests at that time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a few concerns.

Before I was to put this up for sale I need to complete some testing, and just see if it's worth the investment in time. The parts alone cost almost what the REM1 was going for, and there is still all the hand machining time involved.

Even if people are willing to spend the money it would cost for one, I need to be confident it will handle the abuse, as no one will end up happy if they throw down $75-$100 for a mod and it doesn't last or hold up.

Let me see if I can can some testing done, and them maybe I will make a few units for beta testing.

Not looking to step on anyone's toes, and there is no way this income could compete with my normal salary, it was more of a "what can I do with my new mini-lathe" kind of project, but I'll see what I can do.

One thing I do like about it is that the LED can be easily replaced, which allows you to use any color you want. The pics were with a red LED, but I think a blue one looks much better.

The one down side is that you block the rear light collector with the LED tube, so in bright of day, it's not as useful as you might want, but I think that the front reticle works fine during that time, and the dusk hours when it's most helpful it really makes a difference.

Onyx

·
Vendor
5,704 Posts
"The one down side is that you block the rear light collector with the LED tube, so in bright of day, it's not as useful as you might want, but I think that the front reticle works fine during that time, and the dusk hours when it's most helpful it really makes a difference."

I wouldn't consider that a down side. In all My testing the rear light collector doesn't work all that great anyway AND you do not want any light reflecting out of the rear well back into your face in low light.
In My new designed REM 2 the rear well is pluged. The front collector does a good job for 90% of use and the illuminator will take care of the other 10%.
I've designed a "Glow Plug" to cover the front light collector because as you know, It glows when you use the illuminator. So... in very low light to no light it will give away your position.
I'll post some picks once the cad drawings are finished. probably in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice

Sounds very cool, I would love to see it!

it is kinda funny that the point at which the reticle would be the most needed (dusk, lowlight times) is where it's the weakest in stock form. Has to be my only complaint with the platform to date.

Onyx

·
Vendor
5,704 Posts
Yep! Thats why most people shell out an additional $300 to $600 or whatever to replace the standard sight. You and I both feel that if there was a good fix (add on illuminator) that could be had for between $70 and $100 dollars, a lot of people would opt for that rather then replacing the whole sight.
I've been trying to get a manufacturer to build the REM 2 since last fall but most big manufacturers only like to produce in the millions. I worked with Magazineparts for a few months on this project but they were way to busy to really focus on it. Now I'm working with Monolitharms and Brian is putting time into getting this going. I should have some 3D CAD drawings in a few weeks. :D
I personally want one myself! 8)

·
Vendor
5,704 Posts
REM 2 Update

We are getting very close to a finished product! It looks like we have found all the parts needed and now we need to assemble and test it out. I will post pictures once I do the testing. It will be 3 to 5 weeks.
It will have 11 different light settings!!! Wooo Hooo!!!

It has been a long wait but this baby will be worth it!

Stay tuned folks.... we are almost there!!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts