FN Herstal Firearms banner

Lightest PS90 w/Optic Setup?

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Farmer Ted 
#1 ·
Don't know if I can swing it but w/the way things are going world-wide the wife (small, not very strong) is thinking she wants a PS90 for herself (she fired one I used to own and liked it). Now, I'm looking at the lightest possible setup w/a decent optic and am thinking the Tri-rail w/Aimpoint Micro. Can anyone think of any other setups that would be anywhere near as light overall? Thx!...
Tomac

#5 ·
Farmer Ted said:
The micro red-dots weigh less that the Aimpoint even with the guard and less than an ounce without, IMO they also offer a much better sight picture. I'm a fan of the Pride-Fowler set up...

Looks interesting, where can I get tech specs on that and why is the sight picture better?

Honestly - with total weapon weight - I really don't see that it would make much difference between one of those or something like an EOtech.
The weight difference between an Eotech 512 & Aimpoint Micro is over half a pound. That might not seem like much to us macho guys but to a little 5' flower who isn't used to lugging guns around all day that half a pound is significant.

Tomac

#6 ·
You may want to have your wife do some simple arm exercises to build up strength, But to really get the weight down you would also involve a mod like BoneDust did here on the sight. Were he removed the upper section with a band saw and remachined a rail into the front section. Also my favorite is do the paperwork and send in the money and get it SBR ed.

#8 ·
FWIW, I have an Aimpoint micro but I agree that one of the mini red dots like the Pride Fowler, RDPII, Fast Fire, Docter, etc. would work very well. However in my experience the Larue Iron Dot as pictured mounts the red dot too high for a good cheek weld. The same red dot without the Larue mount would be fine in my experience. I believe the Larue Iron Dot is made for mounting on AR rifles and co-witnessing the iron sights.

#11 ·
#12 ·
To shave weight I wouldn't go any bigger than a micro aimpoint (my preferred choice), the other small red dots from trijicon and doctor optics would work to. Also i wouldn't run with a dual mag setup and i might only load 30 rounds in a 50 round magazine if weight is really a big problem for her. a two point sling is a must for carry as well

#13 ·
If you really want to save weight, just have your better half shoot the PS90 with less ammo in the magazine instead of trying to find an optic that saves you an ounce or so of weight. Make like lightning, and take the path of least resistance.

Another option, if available to you in your jurisdiction would be to do an SBR on the gun. :wink:

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

#16 ·
Tomac said:
Looks interesting, where can I get tech specs on that and why is the sight picture better?

Tomac
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok?category=Mini+Red+Dots+/+Bases

Even with the guard there is less of the sights body in your FOV, using the PF sight without the guard makes the thing just about disappear. That's one of the things I have never been able to get over with the Aimpoint optics, their tube/bodies tend to be on the bulky side especially with the knobs.

#17 ·
Josh Denny said:
However in my experience the Larue Iron Dot as pictured mounts the red dot too high for a good cheek weld. The same red dot without the Larue mount would be fine in my experience. I believe the Larue Iron Dot is made for mounting on AR rifles and co-witnessing the iron sights.
The one pictured actually sits lower than the Aimpoint.

The LaRue/PF setup is made in two styles the one pictured that sits very low and a second that is made to index with AR sights, using the latter would be like mounting a periscope on your PS-90
:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.