Votes: 3 18.8%

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and apologize for any missteps...
As the title suggests I have the misfortune of living in Massachusetts, where our attorney general, in all her infinate wisdom has essentially banned AR style rifles.
The SCAR however has managed to slide beneath her radar, at least for the time being. I have had my eye on one for years but the price has always been a hurdle for me, with time potentially becoming a factor in my ability to get one the wife has given me the freedom to pull the proverbial trigger.
Fortunately I managed to get both an AR-15 and M1a before the ban, so I DO have something in each caliber. Unfortunately I only have one of each.
I am looking for a true do it all, "go to" rifle... The only question is should I go with the 16 for the cost of ammo and use of AR mags or the 17 for the heavier more potent round? Is there really that great a difference in recoil, shot speed, etc...
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Registered
Well you asked, 17, just my opinion. It is definitely a do all and has the power to get it done if your hunting or defending! By the way, Welcome to the forum, there is a lot of great stuff here!

Registered
It really depends on what you want to do with it. The 16 is more useful for plinking, 3gun, carbine competition etc. The 17 on the other hand is more at home if you plan to hunt with it or shoot 300 yards+ with it. I'm fortunate to have both, I shoot the 16 much more often. I acquired the 17 first and wouldn't be without it. It really is a personal decision based on what you plan to do with the rifle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I would want it as a general purpose, do it all rifle.
Really the recoil and mags are my only concerns with the 17. Shooting is expensive any way you slice it, so ammo it's just a known cost going in.

Vendor
Welcome behind enemy lines. I'm stuck here in Mass also.
Since you have and AR (which you can't sell or transfer in Mass anymore) and you have the M1A (Which you still can buy and sell) it is a toss up.
I'd vote for the 17 now and then get a Tavor later (which you can still buy and sell)

Registered
No brainer. Go with the 17. I admit that I would like to have a 16 in addition to my 17, but I never really thought it was worth the cost, especially after all the money you will spend on mods. If money matters, and you want a Tier 1 rifle chambered in 5.56, then go with another more affordable manufacture like Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske, etc. If you buy the 16, I think you will regret not getting the 17 instead.

Reactions: TheWanderer

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
That was kind of my thinking as well. My major "concern" is that I never want to be without it.
I've done all of my training up to this point on an AR carbine and now should anything happen to it I'm screwed and couldn't get a replacement, which is what led me to the SCAR from everything I've read and heard they are basically the Glock (another platform we can't have) of the rifle world. I know parts aren't as available for SCARs as for some others but they seem to be around much more now than they have been in the past.
I'll just have to stock up on mags if I go with the 17! 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I'd love to get a Noveske, BCM, or DD.... Unfortunately being trapped in the Decomocratic People's Republic of Massachusetts it isn't really and option.
I was lucky enough to get my Bushmaster back when they were still made in Maine, so I doubt I'll ever have any real trouble with the lower (as it's the "gun") but God forbid anything happen to it, I'm F'ed!

Registered
Get the 17. Then the 16 later.

Reactions: Type5
1 - 14 of 14 Posts