FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
82 Posts
Questions: Why do you prefer the Wolf Small Pistol Primer as opposed to a small rifle primer like the WSR or CCI 400?

Were the SS195lf rounds that you pulled to make the SS198 clone with new blue box or old white box? I heard the new blue box has 6.9gr of powder w/ a velocity roughly around 1900fps. In my personal experience, white box SS195 already shoots ~2050fps w/ a 6.5gr charge. I was under the impression that SS198 shoots closer to 2200fps.

Your clones have 6.8gr of powder w/ a velocity of 2044fps. Is there something im missing here?

·
Administrator
12,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grantness said:
Questions: Why do you prefer the Wolf Small Pistol Primer as opposed to a small rifle primer like the WSR or CCI 400?

Were the SS195lf rounds that you pulled to make the SS198 clone with new blue box or old white box? I heard the new blue box has 6.9gr of powder w/ a velocity roughly around 1900fps. In my personal experience, white box SS195 already shoots ~2050fps w/ a 6.5gr charge. I was under the impression that SS198 shoots closer to 2200fps.

Your clones have 6.8gr of powder w/ a velocity of 2044fps. Is there something im missing here?
I bought a bunch of Wolf when they were relatively cheap. I was not a good purchase but I have to use them. I will be switching to another primer once they are used up. Small rifle were not available at the time. I do have some small rifle magnum but I have read that the hardened cups may cause some misfires. I have not experimented with them yet. I expect that I will burn though the 1000 that I have for my SS loads in the SBR.

The SS195's were in the white box from an 07 run. I do not have any blue box SS195's and I doubt that I will buy any except maybe one box to chrony them. Another FN dumb down to appease the VPC it seems.

You are not missing anything. I think that the 6.8 charge weight is .1g too much. I have found as others have that one of the first indications that you are overcharged is when your velocity drops when the charge is increased. I think that I will have better results with a 6.7g charge using their powder. There are several examples of this on the load tables where all of a sudden there is a drop in velocity. You see an increase in velocity as the charge goes up then all of a sudden, the bottom drops out on the velocity scale.

·
Administrator
12,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Range day today. I just got back from testing some of the subsonics that are in the load tables. I loaded 100 rounds using 55g Sierra FMJ projectiles, 3.1g of True Blue, and using Wolf Small Pistol Primers with a COAL of 1.590.

Eighty (80) rounds were fired from the Short Barrel Rifle with the attached AAC 9mm supressor. Only two of the eighty went super sonic and I can trace these back to having a powder charge that borderlined on 3.2 grains. All other 78 functioned flawlessly.

Twenty were fired from the FiveseveN with the AAC 9mm supressor attached to a Jarvis Barrel with a TROS adaptor to utilize the 1/2x28 tpi threading of the supressor. The supressor comes in at a weight of 9.1 ounces. All twenty rounds fired flawlessly from the FiveseveN in the set-up mentioned. There was no problems with cycling.

Temp was at 80 degrees and skies were partly cloudy. Elevation was measured at 184ft above sea level. I provided this information so that those of you who wish to use the data for loading subsonic loads must adjust the charge to a lower amount for higher altitudes and colder temperatures, however 3.1 grains should suffice for temps above 50 degrees and at elevations up to 1,000 feet MSL in a SHORT BARREL RIFLE or the FiveseveN. These rounds at this charge will go supersonic in the PS90.

I did not chrony the rounds. It was not necessary as I was checking for consistent subsonic loads and cycling.

Firearms fired today at the range:

FEG PA63 (Two of them) 100 rounds
S&W 686 .357 mag 40 rounds (my loads)
H&K USP SD9 Tactical (supressed) 52 rounds (my loads)
FiveseveN USG (supressed) 20 rounds (my loads)
PS90 Short Barrel Rifle (supressed) 80 rounds (my loads)
9mm Baby Eagle 100 rounds (my loads)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts