FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to see the value of true progressives. :?:

I love the Lee Classic Turret. Have praised its many virtues multiple times. Recommended it to dozens. I have reloaded 20K plus rounds on it, .380, 9mm, .40, .38 sp., .30-06, .308, .45 ACP, .45 Colt.

But it was a loonnnnnng day. I was working from home, dealing with kids, and sort of listening to movies while reloading, so I didn't have a marathon loading session without breaks. But it still took me like 9 hours.

If I do it in shorter sessions I can load around 200-250/hr easily; that's if I'm doing nothing else and not getting interrupted every 14 seconds.

The Dillon 550 is starting to seem like a really good idea, particularly if just in one caliber we shoot the most.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The Dillion is a much better press. You will love it if you get it. I have the turret manual 550B version and can easily do 400-500 rounds and hour.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Nicely done. I'd like to get into reloading, but I ,admittedly, lack the focus to do it right. I'm too easily distracted. It's like that one time when.....

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
you and me both ak....we need to make a deal with some of these re-loaders on the forum...free brass for a few rounds:)

Nicely done. I'd like to get into reloading, but I ,admittedly, lack the focus to do it right. I'm too easily distracted. It's like that one time when.....

·
Administrator
11,358 Posts
Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, etc. I am sure that when you do the research, you will pick what is best for you. There are many great progressives out there. You now know the downside of the turrets. They are great unless you want to do a crap load of ammo reloading, then a progressive is a must.

I am not convinced that tool heads for each caliber is the way to go though. Each one has its ups and downs (excuse the pun) but warranty wise, they are pretty much alike. I know that Dillion is famous for its no BS warranty, but with my Hornady, I have never had a problem getting replacement parts at no cost due to wear out or breakage.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good work. I'm sure the kids appreciate it.

Reactions: 1KPerDay

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL I know what you OOooooOOOSOMETHING [email protected]#!

Best things about the LCT, in order of awesomeness:
1. primer refills take 10 seconds
2. changing calibers and primer sizes takes 20 seconds
3. primer disposal system, drop tube needs to be emptied once every 1500 rounds or so, or never if you direct it into a trash receptacle
4. If you really concentrate you can load at "almost progressive" speed, particularly if the progressive needs to refill primers or switch calibers during the session
5. changing powder charges takes a minute, and powder measure is VERY consistent

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Dillion is a much better press. You will love it if you get it. I have the turret manual 550B version and can easily do 400-500 rounds and hour.
Does that include refilling primer tubes? Because that still seems like it would be an enormous PITA to me.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts

Squirrel....

Reactions: 1KPerDay

·
Registered
961 Posts
Does that include refilling primer tubes? Because that still seems like it would be an enormous PITA to me.
Dillon has an answer to that PITA, and it is a Dillon auto primer loader.

Dillon RF 100 Sm. Primer Filler: RF-100 Primer Filler

Like anything in life, there is an opportunity cost that impacts your wallet.

I have a whole friggn 650 setup for .308 to feed the 17s, but I have not found the IMR4064 in an 8 lbs keg for almost a year now. I am about to move again to the next project so she will stay in the boxes she was shipped in until it is time. I am considering this autoloader because I too lack the luxury of time, but I did win the wife lottery in more ways than one. She looks like a one of those blue press cover models and she is willing to reload for me after I get the hang of it and teach her. If she decides not to help, then that primer loader will be expedited to the future residence.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts