FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just bought my first FN firearm today. Figured I'd sign right up to this FN forum .
My question is has anyone had any problems with their FNP 40 loaded chamber indicator not working? It seems to stick out slightly. Practically non-existent. I just bought this today brand new and am having a problem already? I also own a couple SA XD 40's (SUb and service) which came perfect right out the box. haven't had a chance to take this baby to the range yet but plan on it very soon (hopefully tomorrow). Just curious if anyone else had this problem. Thanks for any info and I'm happy to be a new member. 8) javascript:emoticon('8)')

·
Registered
268 Posts
my 9-m is the same way, it's barely noticeable. Personally, I think a LCI is about as useless as lips on a duck anyhow. It has no effect on reliability or anything like that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I never pay any attention to loaded chamber indicators. The same safety measures must be taken with any firearm regardless. Anytime I pick a firearm up, I open the action to make sure its clear, unless I'm told its a hot weapon or I am absolutely sure it is loaded such as my carry pistol.

Treat every firearm as if it was loaded.

Chamber loaded indicators do about as much good as all of the warnings Ruger and Beretta plaster all over their guns.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with Cooter and Setzer - I never look at loaded chamber indicators and certainly don't rely on them. Every gun is loaded until I verify otherwise and then I still don't point it at anything that I'm not willing to destroy.

I've owned a Glock, M&P, Kahr, FNP and 1911 and none of them have loaded chamber indicators that are positive enough for me to feel comfortable relying on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I agree 100% with never relying on LCI and I probably never will use it either but I'm one of those people that feel if I bought something new it should be working 100% if not, its defective. Has anyone heard anything new about the under slide damage on the FNP40. I just took mine to the range today and shot 50 rounds and noticed the same ding . I traded a xd service 40 towards this and hope it wasn't that bad of a mistake. I love the look of this gun.Sweet. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Understandable that you want all aspects of the gun functioning. The wear on the bottom of the slide hasn't been a problem on my gun. It showed up after the first range session, but hasn't progressed much after the first couple hundred rounds. Not nearly as much wear as I see on my new 1911. That is showing wear in multiple spots, but nothing that should affect the functioning.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have just over 500 rounds on my FNP 40, and the "dings" on the bottom of the slide have have not changed since they first appeared. Not to worry.

Also I was mystified by my LCI at first as well, but as others have mentioned, it in no way affects the weapon's operation, or my safe handling of it.

Enjoy your FNP, it is a very good hand gun. Report back on how you are getting along with it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

:cool:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had the dings on the slide as well. I didn't think anything of it. Over 1000 rounds and it goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. I'm happy to be member of the FN club :).
I only got the chance to shoot 50 rounds today. That was all I had left over from the last range visit. Next time will be at the very least 200 rounds. On the bright side my new FNP 40 ate all 50 without a hiccup. :)
Maybe I won't miss that service model XD after all.
This is my first SS handgun and I like!!! Anyone send for that shooters pack promotion yet? Will they accept just the FNH form and copy of receipt?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I sent if for it and included a copy of my from 4473 as the directions require. Came in within a couple of weeks. I don't care for belt loop holsters, so I bought a paddle holster for an XD that fits the gun pretty well.

So far, all reports indicate that the FNP feeds very reliably. On my FNP-40 I noticed that the feed angle is pretty much straight in, similar to my Glock 23, and so far it has been as reliable as my Glock was.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might have to go back to the gun shop for that form 4473. I only have a sales receipt and a copy of a form called "Pennsylvania State Police Application/Record of sale" SP4-113(5-2006). Would that be the same type of form needed? I'll have to call up Chris at Advanced Arms to see what he thinks. I have to get this done before time expires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I might have to go back to the gun shop for that form 4473. I only have a sales receipt and a copy of a form called "Pennsylvania State Police Application/Record of sale" SP4-113(5-2006). Would that be the same type of form needed? I'll have to call up Chris at Advanced Arms to see what he thinks. I have to get this done before time expires.
No I don't believe that's the same form. You need the 4473 which is the form you filled out with all the yes/no questions. As far as the shooters pack goes; you did purchase your weapon on or before Dec 31, 07 right? That was the deadline for the promotion unless they extended it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No I don't believe that's the same form. You need the 4473 which is the form you filled out with all the yes/no questions. As far as the shooters pack goes; you did purchase your weapon on or before Dec 31, 07 right? That was the deadline for the promotion unless they extended it.
It looks like the deal on the Shooters Pack has been extended until March 31, 2008.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/promos/pdf/fn_shooterspack.pdf

·
Registered
116 Posts
The form 4473 is the ATF form that you fill out for the NICS check. The store where you bought the gun should have a copy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh ok I will have to get that from my dealer. Oh and yes they extended it to March 31st. Hopefully this helps out anyone who may have thought they missed the deadline. You can download the new form on FNH's site with the revised cutoff date.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way I can't stop looking at this baby. :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My carry is a XD 40 sub-compact. I can only pray that FNH will release a subbie as well. How sweet would a FNP sub look ? That would be my new carry. My wife could have the XD. Um ... maybe.. :D

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
XdSubnFnP40 said:
My carry is a XD 40 sub-compact. I can only pray that FNH will release a subbie as well. How sweet would a FNP sub look ? That would be my new carry. My wife could have the XD. Um ... maybe.. :D
Question #6 on the Jan 5, 2008 Q&A:

6. Will there be a subcompact FNP (smaller than the "M" sized FNP)? Yes, late '08, early '09

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oops sorry :oops: Haven't had a chance to get around the entire forum yet, but that is great news. Something definitely to look forward to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts