FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Scar 17s NRCH, FNX45
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brown Air gun Luggage and bags Trigger Shotgun

So... Bit of a story here... Short of it is,.finally have a SCAR17S NRCH.

The longish. Bought the rifle back in December off gunbroker. Had it transfered to a local FFL here in RI. Submitted the federal and local paperwork, as one does. 7 days later, the FFL tells me I was denied. First time it's ever happened. Was a bit of a shock. Well, after talking to my local PD, who denied me, I started down a legal road I really wasn't prepared for.

Back in 2009, fresh home from a deployment in Afghanistan, I made an error in judgement and was charged with 2 potential felonies and a class b misdemeanor. The only conviction was the misdemeanor, possession of a concealed firearm without a permit. That incident is another story in and of itself, and for another day. After having my day in court I was told the felony charges would drop off my record in 1 year because they were placed on file with no finding. Flash forward to 2017, NH (where I was living in 09, where the incident happened) went constitutional carry, decriminaliIng my prior charge.

This is why my local PD denied me. The captain said he didn't care who I was or what my past was, I was nothing more than the piece of paper infront of him. He then lied about the appeal process. Needless to say, I got a lawyer involved. Annulled my record, and was still denied, not just the transfer, but the in person appeal with the town solicitor and police captain...

Well, my hearing was last month, the 22nd,.and the reps for the town never even showed up.

So, today, after 9 months, I brought the SCAR home... Its my second one, had a black Belgian 16s years ago. She's all built up, almost, didn't have the right wrenches to remove the factory break and install the Q Cherry Bomb... But otherwise, she's ready to go....

·
Registered
Scar 17s NRCH, FNX45
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's got a story for sure... Now im just waiting on my second hearing as to wether or not the judge will sign off on the town paying me back all my legal fees... My lawyer was stoked with the results, as this is the third successful lawsuit against this PD for not following RI law regarding firearms... The other 2 we're ccw permit issues that they got sued over.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Wow! The judge should make the city pay. Maybe then they'll learn their lesson. Hopefully the judge isn't a city employee though. Of course a righteous judge wouldn't let his paycheck determine the verdict either.

·
Registered
Scar 17s NRCH, FNX45
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! The judge should make the city pay. Maybe then they'll learn their lesson. Hopefully the judge isn't a city employee though. Of course a righteous judge wouldn't let his paycheck determine the verdict either.
Superior court judge. He was pissed that the town solicitor didn't show up the hearing that was scheduled, and had a 3 hour block of time set aside.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Congratrs on staying the course and enforcing your rights!

Reactions: OEFVeteran

·
Registered
Scar 17s NRCH, FNX45
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great story with a pretty good ending. I hope you get reimbursed for your legal costs. Did your attorney tell you what he thought would happen? Love the rifle. Will need to look into it.
Yeah, he is confident that the judge will sign the writ ordering the town to cover my legal expenses. My only concern, I wish it wasn't tax payer money that it was coming out from, at least not directly. Would be nice if the judge could split the reembursment between the paychecks of the police captain and the town solicitor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts