FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Canada and want to buy an Fns-9. The only one legal here is the LS. Has anyone shot this and what did joy think. Also would American eagle or Remington be a good ammo for this hand gun?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I have the FNS long slide in .40 cal. It's a VERY reliable soft shooting pistol. FN puts a heavier spring in their pistols. They handle recoils very good even with the hotter self defense rounds. I've shot American Eagle and Remington through my .40 without issue. In fact, it feeds everything. I shot a couple boxes of steel cased ammo to see if it would shoot those, and no problems on anything I've run through it. I use Hornady Critical Defense for my carry ammo mostly. I use Winchester PDX1 too. The ergonomics are great for me, and I think it would be good for most people. I have large hands, and it's a smaller grip than some pistols, but the grip angle and the slight hump with the large back strap on it position my hand with a perfect low bore axis grip. I can use gloves with it comfortably too. The texturing on the grip is rather aggressive, but makes for a sure grip even in wet conditions. The 9mm FNS pistols seem to like 124 grain bullets or higher for a couple hundred break in rounds...it's because of the stiff springs. After broke in though, the word is the 9mm feeds and shoots everything just like my .40 cal. And....aaaaannnnnndddd....it's a very sexy pistol indeed. And yeah...I'm an FNS fan boy lol.

·
Premium Member
21,738 Posts
Thread moved to correct section.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have both the 9C and the 9L, Both guns have ate everything I have fed them. The 9L shoots great and is lighter recoil than my 9C. The gun is a hell of alot more accurate than I am

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to the range and tried it out. I'm gonna get a 9L for sure. It fits in my hand just right and shoots great. Gonna get the trigger switched and that's all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sadly, that's the only caveat.

Unless you know something we don't, there ARE no aftermarket triggers for FNS pistols.

We're still a niche community (though if new members seem to be any indication, our secret is getting out) so there are currently zero aftermarket upgrades for the FNS lines (excepting sights...quite a few options there now.)

Part of it is that the market just isn't large enough for people to profit off aftermarket parts yet, and part of it is that the FNS isn't a hobby or target pistol: FN makes combat ready, military grade Firearms. As such, the fire control groups are more complicated and heavy duty than many of their contemporaries; official word from FN is that the firearm is rated for 30,000 rounds before any major component requires replacement ( including the barrel and main recoil spring).

The good news is...dry fire and useage morph the trigger...a lot. After around 500 dry fires and as many rounds, most members are reporting their triggers as quite smooth and loveable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can confirm the smoothing of the trigger. As many have reported, when brand new mine felt like fine sandpaper. Now after close to 1000 rounds it is considerably smoother. This doesn't count snap cap and dry fire trigger pulls either.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I picked my 9l yesterday. It ate my cheap bbm ammo, with 1 ftf (I can only blame the ammo since the primer was hit similarly to the rest). I don't think you would regret picking it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in Canada and want to buy an Fns-9. The only one legal here is the LS. Has anyone shot this and what did joy think. Also would American eagle or Remington be a good ammo for this hand gun?
Only shot reloads though mine and this is my favorite 9mm. I have mp core, glock17gen4 and prefer the fns 9L. The trigger on the 9L is fine trigger for factory, i would say on par with glock 17

The fns 40L is my favorite gun , but thats a 40 :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts