FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I own a PS90 with a short barrel.

The barrel flash hider supports the Gemtech G5 suppressor like this:

I really don't have a quality sidearm. I have a Colt 380 pistol..but it is heavy, small caliber, and very inaccurate.

Therefore I was hoping to accomplish two things:

1. Purchase an appropriate 5.7 pistol for both home defense AND concealed carry.

2. Be able to use the suppressor on the 5.7

Given the nature of the way the 5.7 attaches to my PS90..it is obvious I would require a threaded barrel and some type of Gemtech style attachment.

Is this a viable option? Has anyone else done this? Thoughts?

Are there other suppressor options for the 5.7 PISTOLS?

·
Administrator
11,088 Posts
I was told that the maximum weight of a supressor to function properly on a FsN was about 7oz.

I was going to try my AAC at 9.1 oz but was told that the FsN would not cycle properly.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course the 5.7 is a high velocity round even in pistols, right? Might I find it better to simply choose another caliber...and perhaps get a different suppressor, say 9mm or something?

I know that the suppressor doesn't do much other than muffle the blast on my PS90 since the round is so fast...I am wondering if I will have the same problem with the pistol and a suppressor?

·
Registered
249 Posts

*Not my pic.*

·
Registered
408 Posts
@ick
The G5 was designed for .223 applications. It works as you know, for the 5.7 by replacing the standard flash hider with the bi-lock. Without the bi-lock, it will not work on a 5.7 pistol. Putting a bi-lock on the pistol would just be silly and overweight and probably lead to malfunction or breakage of the pistol. I have a G5 on it's way to me now, and I thought the better option would be to buy a few more bi-locks for my other .223 caliber rifles. I'm going to see about getting one fitted to my FS2000 as well as my AR-15. The superlight Gemtechs are around $500-600 if I remember correctly, so I'd suggest getting a different pistol. One of the easiest pistols to suppress is actually the .45. It's velocities aren't much over supersonic to begin with, so you won't lose as much of the balistic characteristics as you would if you slowed down a 9mm or .40 to use with a can. As I'm sure you know, no gun will be whisper quiet short of a wet suppressed .22 with shorts in it, but man it's fun to shoot suppressed weapons even if they aren't mouse fart quiet. Good luck.

Zhur

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zhurdan said:
@ick
The G5 was designed for .223 applications. It works as you know, for the 5.7 by replacing the standard flash hider with the bi-lock. Without the bi-lock, it will not work on a 5.7 pistol. Putting a bi-lock on the pistol would just be silly and overweight and probably lead to malfunction or breakage of the pistol. I have a G5 on it's way to me now, and I thought the better option would be to buy a few more bi-locks for my other .223 caliber rifles. I'm going to see about getting one fitted to my FS2000 as well as my AR-15. The superlight Gemtechs are around $500-600 if I remember correctly, so I'd suggest getting a different pistol. One of the easiest pistols to suppress is actually the .45. It's velocities aren't much over supersonic to begin with, so you won't lose as much of the balistic characteristics as you would if you slowed down a 9mm or .40 to use with a can. As I'm sure you know, no gun will be whisper quiet short of a wet suppressed .22 with shorts in it, but man it's fun to shoot suppressed weapons even if they aren't mouse fart quiet. Good luck.

Zhur
Thanks man, that was the kind of direction I was looking for.

By the way, my G5 INCLUDED a threaded flash hider that fits on my AR15. At least I THINK it was included. It had standard threads like any other rifle like that has.

I bet yours will too.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, I had been looking at several Glock pistols and really liked them.

I looked over the GLOCK web site and here is what I think I like....

The GAP rounds look smaller with no sacrifice in power....is there a big price jump for GAP?

in .45 GAP I like the:
Glock 38

In .45 AUTO I like:
GLOCK 30

The smaller conceal carry is nice..but there is no rail under the barrel. Now I don't know if I will have a big need for a light...but it would be NICE to have a rail for the OPTION some day.

I am wondering what kind of muzzel velocity the round has with each weapon? The GLOCK page doesn't have muzzel velocity info.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anybody know of "the best Glock" forum around?

That is how I found this web site...I asked someone for "THE" forum for PS90 and they suggested this one first...and the FiveSeven forum SECOND.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Glock talk?

I've never been there, but heard its great.

Also, not sure if it's the "best."

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I tried to register on www.glocktalk.com but it tells me my "IP is banned."

What is up with that?

As instructed I sent an email message to the site administrator at 11:00 this morning..but no response.

I did talk to my suppressor guy...and he said that he thought 9 mm would be better for FOUR reasons:

1. the ammo is cheaper
2. the 147 grain round is sub-sonic...so no need to commit to .45
3. There are more can options with 9mm
4. 9mm tends to be a smaller pistol than a 45.

Shows subsonic speeds:
http://www.firearmstactical.com/test_data/9mm/win9-147ssxt-g26.htm

One thing he did say...since I like the lower weight GLOCKs....that I would need an LID (Linear Inertial Decoupler) if I get a suppressor.

Does that all make sense?

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boy, the more I look at these pistols...the more I like the lightweight GLOCKs and FN products.

The FNP-9.....how does that work for suppression and as a CCW?

Esteves said:
The G5 (21 Oz) is pretty heavy for the FsN. I'm not aware of an M10X1 threaded bi-lock attachment.

GemTech does make the SFN-57 specifically for the FsN and is much lighter. (I like mine.)

Also check out AAC, SWR, AWC for their FsN silencer options.

Jarvis (or used/resale) is the only game going for threaded barrels for the FsN. The next batch is due sometime in May.
Is that a FNP-9, FNP-40, or FNP-45 you have? Not sure I understand the whole product line. What is an FsN?

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, much like life....the topic has been twisting and turning as I work through what pistol to purchase.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
ick said:
Well, I tried to register on www.glocktalk.com but it tells me my "IP is banned."

What is up with that?

As instructed I sent an email message to the site administrator at 11:00 this morning..but no response.

I did talk to my suppressor guy...and he said that he thought 9 mm would be better for FOUR reasons:

1. the ammo is cheaper
2. the 147 grain round is sub-sonic...so no need to commit to .45
3. There are more can options with 9mm
4. 9mm tends to be a smaller pistol than a 45.

Shows subsonic speeds:
http://www.firearmstactical.com/test_data/9mm/win9-147ssxt-g26.htm

One thing he did say...since I like the lower weight GLOCKs....that I would need an LID (Linear Inertial Decoupler) if I get a suppressor.

Does that all make sense?
Was it you that we had that issue with here too? I banned someone here - and then I got a message from another member. They used AOL, and AOL's IP addresses are shared among many users. So, when I banned someone that deserved it, it also banned many AOL users as well (legitimate members). So, I had to go adjust my banned IP addresses to allow people back in.

Maybe it is a similar issue.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, after a SIGNIFICANT amount of discussion and travel I have purchased a GLOCK 27.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts