Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ruger LCP

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me start by saying hello to everyone. I have been lurking the forums for quite some time, contemplating my next major purchase. I am in the Navy, and currently deployed so I wanted to check out some options while underway as my time inport is very limited for the most part.

I plan on purchasing two handguns upon my return and one of them will either be a KelTec P-3AT or a Ruger LCP. I have read just about every review, as well as numerous forum posts regarding both guns and they basically pan out to a flame war between people saying Ruger stole the design and others saying KelTec is garbage (for the most part I do not believe many people have actually fired both).

The KelTec I handled felt great, but the shop/range did not have one available to shoot at the time, and I noticed quite a gap between the slide and frame. To me, the design didn't look pretty, however most things I have read about them say it is a very reliable weapon, and most people haven't reported any issues with the newer model. I am not worried about the appearance, just the end result.

I have followed the LCP since prior to its' release, and I have read all about the recall. This was the pistol I wanted to buy when I handled the KelTec, however one was not available. The posters here seem a lot more reliable, and I have yet to see anyone argue back and forth on any kind of level. As mentioned, most forums seem to have 3-4 people clashing back and forth, with no actual knowlege just rants. I've also noticed people appreciate all makes and types, which is refreshing from a single manufacturer forum.

There are also a few weapons I am considering for a CCW. Caliber anywhere from 9mm to .45 is fine, just as long as it can be concealed. With my body size (6'3" 205lbs) I do not see any issues with carrying an FNP Series (with the exception of the .45), however as of now I am leaning towards the .357 SIG. Unfortunately the Marine Corp Exchange only had a 9mm and 40mm on hand, but they are able to order pretty much anything in the catalogue.

The handguns I am looking at include a FNP-357/40, Walther P99 QA, and a Compact SIG 357/40. Recoil with anything below a .45 is not a problem, and I have shot guns of all calibers. I would also prefer to have some kind of safety, but it is not my sole decision maker. If anyone else has anymore suggestions, I would be glad to hear them. Also note that I do not plan on getting home and buying one. I would like to hear opinions so I have some ideas before I make my final choice. The SIG's and Walther's are easily accessible at the base range, but the gun shop/range nearby only stocks the Five Seven for FNH. I'm hoping that will change by the time I get back though. Thanks everyone for reading my looooonnnggg rant, and I appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I have a Keltec 32, and I have been contemplating buying the Keltec 380 - I just am not sure if there is enough difference between the 2 rounds for me to pay for the new gun.

But, my Keltec 32 has been 100%.

IF I get the 380 - I plan to get another Keltec and skip the Ruger clone. There has been complaints of firing pins breaking on the Rugers.

The 1st gen of Keltecs sucked. It took the 2nd gen to get it right. Ruger just came out with this gun. They had a lot of issues with their new 45 pistol when it first came out, as well as their newest 9mm.

If U want the RUger, I'd wait 2 years for the bugs to shake out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
From personal experience get the keltec, my 32 is awsome. My dad have the ruger lcp an he already had to send it back for a recall where it may accedendly go off.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just because ruger has a good name doesnt make it a better gun than the keltec. I have owned both and sold the ruger I still have the keltec. The keltec is more reliable IMO, and you can drop it without a fire :-D

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I looked at the keltec, but when I shot it, I wasn't impressed at all. It jammed several times on me and the gun was clean and the ammo was fine as well. I guess I had a bad experience. I'll stick with my p2k or my hk45c

·
Registered
475 Posts
does it have to be the kel tec or ruger? i would opt for a s&w j frame. I carry the model 442 as a BUG. its not as thin or as light as the two mouse guns but its definitely more reliable and shoots a little more potent round.

if those were my only two choices i would go with the kel tec, its been out longer and the ruger i know will not let you fire the weapon without the magazine inserted, not sure about the kel tec.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I agree with horse. A while back my local gun shop got (If I remember correctly) a colt defender(.45 acp). It would be ideal for ccw and felt like a very sturdy weapon. I was very please with the construction and how well it felt in my hands. On another note, you could never go wrong with an H&K :p

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Yea, that Colt is nice - so is the HK. BUt you miss the point. The Keltec 32 and 380 is smaller than anything else around.

Sure, I'll take my HK USPc 45 or my P99c whenever I can. But these tiny guns do have a purpose.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I agree ship these small guns do have a purpose, the smaller the gun the more likely you will carry it all the time. after buying my j frame i just don't think i need to go smaller, however a kel tec P3AT would be a nice stocking stuffer! :-D

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
In my run in with them, I wasn't happy with their reliability so therefore, they serve no purpose to me. I think the Hi point this joker was shooting at the range was more reliable lol. Now, the owner of my gun shop loves his keltec pocket pistol but has also admitted having issues with it. With that being said, I would give the gun another try but it just put a really sour taste in my mouth :?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I guess I have a few more options to look at as well. I have a few more months out here, but I will be sure to post the results of my purchases... Can't come soon enough though.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
What are the new options? :eek:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Has anyone had a chance to shoot one of those Rohrbaugh R9 pistols? I haven't had a chance to shoot one. They are small, but I bet being that small and firing a 9mm you probably wouldn't want to take it to the range and shoot a bunch of rounds out of it.

I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a 38 or 9mm.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
devildoc said:
Has anyone had a chance to shoot one of those Rohrbaugh R9 pistols? I haven't had a chance to shoot one. They are small, but I bet being that small and firing a 9mm you probably wouldn't want to take it to the range and shoot a bunch of rounds out of it.

I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a 38 or 9mm.
they cost too damn much to buy one of those.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
5.7x28 :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts