FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have been using Grip- pod for my bipod and it seemed to do ok for what it is but I'm looking for more of a real bipod any suggestions Gun Machine gun Trigger Ammunition Gun accessory

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Administrator
12,218 Posts
I scored a very lightly used GG&G XDS2 Tactical for a buck sixty. Am very happy with the construction and versality of the bipod. You can get a NIB for about two bucks or so. Way less than the $329 Atlas and with a great pan and tilt qd mount.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I got the FDE Atlas from Stryker Ent. with the QD mount on the first run (under $300). I use it on 4 different rifles, so I figured I might as well get something good. I had a Harris 6-9 BRM-S, and it was good, but was not QD and only mounted to a swivel stud (and I had to really crank that thing down so it wouldn't loosen. Finger tight did not work)

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I had a Harris 6-9 BRM-S, and it was good, but was not QD and only mounted to a swivel stud (and I had to really crank that thing down so it wouldn't loosen. Finger tight did not work)
Just some info if you didn't already know, you can mount the Harris to a number of QD bases that completely replaces the thumb nut swivel stud and bolts the Harris to the QD. I have had the same problem from the swivel stud deal and prefer eliminating it when ever I can on all my Harris set ups.

PIVOT ASSEMBLY, QD BIPOD, UNIVERSAL MT
PIVOT ASSY, QD BIPOD, UNIVERSAL MOUNT
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...s-type-bipod-throw-lever-mount-prod31684.aspx

Reactions: farmerted

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just some info if you didn't already know, you can mount the Harris to a number of QD bases that completely replaces the thumb nut swivel stud and bolts the Harris to the QD. I have had the same problem from the swivel stud deal and prefer eliminating it when ever I can on all my Harris set ups.
There's also the American Defense Mfg. version: American Defense MFG, LLC | Browse | Bipod Mounts | Harris Bipod Mount

Product Technology Electronic device Electronics Camera accessory

The Harris is a great bipod, you can get a version that swivels and has leg notches. There's an adapter to swivel and is QD as well. Once you add the QD mount you are almost up to the GGG bipod though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Atlas

direct attach without adapters, thumbscrews, sling studs that are not available on tactical rifles, silliness
robust, solid
large leg extension range
sufficient pan and tilt
180 degree leg rotation, forward to back
no external springs, tabs or crap to hang up on things, or make noise
will take a full forward load pressure without issues, even at full extension

It costs more because it is worth more. You will end up using it on more than one rifle, more than likely. After the minor $ pain of buying my first and receiving it, I immediately ponied up and bought a second. Yup. That good.

Harris is a hunting bipod for non-serious work. I am not familiar with GG&G, but the specs don't matchup to the Atlas. Probably OK for a mid-range item if you can't scrape together the cash for the Atlas. Extension range is only 2.5". Does not fold forward 90 degrees like the Atlas. Atlas appears to be quicker and possibly more secure to adjust extension.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Atlas

direct attach without adapters, thumbscrews, sling studs that are not available on tactical rifles, silliness
robust, solid
large leg extension range
sufficient pan and tilt
180 degree leg rotation, forward to back
no external springs, tabs or crap to hang up on things, or make noise
will take a full forward load pressure without issues, even at full extension

It costs more because it is worth more. You will end up using it on more than one rifle, more than likely. After the minor $ pain of buying my first and receiving it, I immediately ponied up and bought a second. Yup. That good.

Harris is a hunting bipod for non-serious work. I am not familiar with GG&G, but the specs don't matchup to the Atlas. Probably OK for a mid-range item if you can't scrape together the cash for the Atlas. Extension range is only 2.5". Does not fold forward 90 degrees like the Atlas. Atlas appears to be quicker and possibly more secure to adjust extension.
Also, with the Atlas you can get additional feet and leg extension and easily change them out. Not sure if you can do that on the GG&G. The Harris, pretty much impossibly or at least quite difficult to change feet and add leg extensions.

·
Administrator
12,218 Posts
The GGG actually has more adjustment range than the Atlas, from 2 in stowed to 10 inches fully extended. The Atlas and GGG are about equal in this respect. They are both good bipods. One just cost 100 plus more than the other. If you want the most expensive one, buy the Atlas with the less pan and tilt.

Bottom line is buy the one that works for you.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I would have suggested the Bobro BLAC Gen 3 CTM that the Navy ordered for the Mk17 because I like the ability to run a piece of paracord between the legs and deploy it with one quick jerk but I have had one on backorder since 2013 and I am finally giving up and buying an Atlas from SgtStryker which is also super top quality NSN part used by SF but lacks the quick deployment feature.

Atlas FDE Hard Coat w/ ADM QD $344
Stryker Enterprises

·
Registered
368 Posts
I went GG&G when I caught them on sale, and like it well enough. Quick detach, pan and tilt, extendable, 0, 45, and 90 settings. The Atlas is nicer, especially if you are planning on leaving it on, as it is more compact. But it was a lot more $$$.
Trying to upload photos, but apparently need to up grade tapatalk. If you search my threads you'll find a thread were I posted pics on the same subject.

http://fnforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60841

1 - 20 of 36 Posts