FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to get a handgun for my wife but there is a problem. She has Carpel Tunnel and Arthritis in her hands and it is very difficult for her to work the slide of many of the guns we have looked at. Currently she has a S&W Model 642 Lady Smith .38+P Revolver. As we speak he gun is in a case in the back bedroom closet as she is very firm tat e will not carry it until she's completely comfortable using it. And that folks is the rub.

She thinks the .38 is jut a bit too hot for her.
The grip is smooth plastic and just not comfortable for her to hold.
The last trip to the range when se fired the gun the recoil left her with a bruise on her hand where the gun was actually rotating in her hand.

I have replaced the plastic grip with a Hogue grip she says feel better but we have been to the range with it yet.

So, I am looking for ideas.

(She enjoys shooting and likes my Hi-Power (but not the slide) ad the XP-100 (but a huge bolt action single shot varmint pistol is not the answer either)

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
It's always tough recommending guns for someone else. The best bet would be to take her to the gun store, preferably one that has a nice rental selection, and try out a few.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would say a .22 cal revolver with the 22mag cylinder option. people laugh or think little of the .22 round but I don't think anyone would like to get shot with one....

·
Registered
393 Posts
Don't discount a 9mm derringer....that would alleviate carpal problems ( I have them myself), but still have some stopping power.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Beretta tip-up barrel Tomcat in either .22LR or .25LR. Or maybe the Bobcat in .32 Auto if she wants more oomph.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Sig p238?

·
Registered
37 Posts
A bit late on reply, but my wife cannot operate the slide on anything in the store larger than a .22.

She carries a S&W 351C with a Crimson Trace Laser Grip. I'm told the .22 magnum is a nasty little cartridge, and some of the local LEO's carry .22 magnum backups.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
You might check into a Metaba auto revolver

·
Registered
596 Posts
I love my Browning Buckmark URX. Although I have a number of "toys" to play with, the Buckmark provides economical, fun shooting. The slide is exceptionally easy to work and the recoil, well, what recoil ;)

Any firearm is better than no firearm. I agree you should take her to a range that rents weapons and have her try some out. I'm pretty sure she'll fall in love with a Buckmark. Good luck!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Since the original posting Kathryn made the S&W go away. She then acquired 2 yes 2 Bauer Baby Brownings in .25ACP which are her range play guns that she really enjoys. We looked at the Walther PK-380 and then I bought a Walther CCP for myself. She then got herself a Sig P-238 with Crimson Trace Laser, and a Kimber Micro both in .380. We are hitting the range once a week or so, and she goes thru about 50 rds per gun per visit and is thoroughly enjoying herself. Important point is I backed out and let her pick out what she wanted for her reasons and all is right with our shooting world.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts