FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, and greetings from Canada, where we sadly can not own any of the scar series rifles :(

I'm working on a project where I need to make a 3d model of the scar 20s stock, and I am working on trying to do so with the side on pictures from FN's website, but they are fairly low resolution and it's proving difficult.

I was hoping someone here could help me out by taking some higher quality pictures of the stock from as straight on as possible, hopefully with the cheek pad in a standard position but also fully extended so that I can see how the stock is set up underneath it to try and trace and make a vector of.

The other option that would franky be far better, is if someone here had access or knows someone who has a 3d scanner that could remove the stock and take a couple scans of it, since this would save me a lot of work as well as guessing dimensions of it, by using something like the Einscan S or some other similar one that's meant for higher quality close up scans. There are also ipad based ones and such, unfortunately I haven't had the chance to work with any in person.

It seems like the stock isn't something that's even available separately, so I couldn't even make a trip down to a distributor with a rented scanner myself if there were any reasonably close to me. Frankly, if the stock was available separately as was something like a couple hundred dollars (I have no clue how much they would actually cost) I might just buy one, but that doesn't seem to be an option either, unless someone here knows of a way that I could buy one, but then again getting it to Canada might have some sort of issue, I don't know if a stock would be stopped by customs or not, hence trying to create a 3d model that I could use instead.

If someone here does happen to have a 3d scanner and a stock and could help me out with some scans of it I'd be happy to compensate you for your time, again that would be with the cheek rest in a normal position but also fully extended, or possible removed entirely. There are some pictures with them fully extended which show the shape of the stock underneath, however they are at quite an angle which I have not had any luck correcting to try and trace in photoshop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found those two pages in my initial search as well, unfortunately the first page uses webp for the pictures which is a weird format photoshop won't open, and they are fairly low res as well. The full length picture on the second link is the one I'm currently trying to work with though even scaled up quite a lot, it's not working quite as well as I'd like in photoshop or fusion to try and make an outline of.

I'm still actively working on trying to make some of those pictures work in the meantime.

I also remembered hearing about a decently priced photogrametry software/service that doesn't charge too much, so if I had a whole bunch of pictures from all around the stock, it might be able to construct a pretty good model of it. I'll have to dig up what that software was called again and experiment with it to see just how many pictures it takes to get a decent model of a stock.

Of course a 3d scan would still be the holy grail, especially since I could also get the non folding stock attachment with the right size in there too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure what you are going to do with the stock, but KRG https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/scar-long-range-stock/ sells a stock simular to the Scar 20 stock. Check it out.
That one is pretty nice, although I still prefer the original one better.

I'm sure I'll annoy some people with this, but since we can't own the real deal here, the closest you can get is a gas blowback airsoft version of the gun, so my plan is to try and 3d print something that looks close enough to the original stock that I could put on there since getting the real one isn't really an option.

It wouldn't need to be nearly as tough as the real one since it's not going to have any more recoil than a 22lr at best, and will need a decent bit of work to finish and paint it, but if I can get what I need I should be able to make it look passable.

The real one should be able to mount up fine honestly, if I was able to get one somehow, though I'm not sure if it would be worth a similar amount to that kinectic research one to me right now, with currency conversion that ends up close to half a grand.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I thought the scar series rifles was not on the ban list in Canada. After reading the complete list from a member that posted it here, i coudnt find that rifle on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe you could work a deal with Stryker. They were going to make these. https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/11/23/stryker-enterprises-fn-scar-stock/
I've emailed them and got this response this morning regarding that stock.

The SOBA project has been suspended by the owner and the remaining
components will be manufactured when the market picks back up ensuring
it is profitable.

​So unfortunately seems like it won't be for a while. I'm sure they have lots of people who want this stock still and probably get bothered every now and then, and doubt that they would sell me an early production prototype, not sure how far they got into it to be honest. I'd love to get a tan one from them, it would be cool since it looks basically the same.

The SCAR Isn't banned in Canada, but the RCMP have apparently had it for a couple years and still haven't approved it for sale in Canada, and who knows how long that will take.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, hoping this bumps the thread up again for some fresh eyes to see it.

There is a version out now for the VFC airsoft model of the gun, however those ones are known to not share parts very well, so it might not fit on the mounting point for the stock I have, it's also fairly expensive though it is aluminum.

If anyone who sees this and has access to a real stock, I'm still interested in getting pictures/measurements, etc.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
I'm thinking what you're requesting might possibly be an ITAR violation. You're asking members to provide detailed information which may also be a protected intellectual property matter. You're also willing to compensate members here which then involves them in potential legal misgivings. There could be a valid and legal reason you cannot access the information you seek living in Canada.

My own thoughts on this Fellow Forum Members, leave it alone the BATFE is NOT our friend, just sayin'...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm thinking what you're requesting might possibly be an ITAR violation. You're asking members to provide detailed information which may also be a protected intellectual property matter. You're also willing to compensate members here which then involves them in potential legal misgivings. There could be a valid and legal reason you cannot access the information you seek living in Canada.

My own thoughts on this Fellow Forum Members, leave it alone the BATFE is NOT our friend, just sayin'...
As of March 9, 2020, small arms are no longer covered by ITAR and the restrictions on sharing information are lessened:
See article here: [BREAKING] ITAR Firearms Regulations Significantly Lessened

And the Federal Register here:

Second, 3D scanning a utilitarian part (rather than a trademarked item) doesn’t appear to be a violation of intellectual property rules.

If I had a SCAR 20 and a 3D scanner I wouldn’t hesitate to share information with our Canadian friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As of March 9, 2020, small arms are no longer covered by ITAR and the restrictions on sharing information are lessened:

Second, 3D scanning a utilitarian part (rather than a trademarked item) doesn’t appear to be a violation of intellectual property rules.

If I had a SCAR 20 and a 3D scanner I wouldn’t hesitate to share information with our Canadian friend.

That's kind of what I figured, I mean, it's not any sort of part of the firearm that actually makes it capable of being a firearm, it's just the stock, granted it's a more specialized one but at the end of the day it's still a mostly static solid piece of aluminum.

Also, as mentioned I don't necessarily need a proper 3d scan either, turns out photogrammetry is quite difficult, at least with my phone's pictures (and boy you need more than I thought), but good reference pictures to design it in cad myself, or a somewhat rough 3d scan to compare that design to for chamfers and things would basically be me making a replica of the stock, since I know I won't be able to get close enough to make something actually machinable and hard to tell apart, not that there'd be a market for that anyhow up here. (and if you're using an actual scar, the few hundred on a real stock made out of the proper grade of aluminum would be worth it anyhow, at least in my mind).

It seems like I might just have to send measurements of my stock mount to a company with that airsoft gun version that's $300 and shell out for it if it happens to match up unfortunately. With coronavirus any plans of going to the US for something I was planning on possibly doing are gone, but I figured I'd call up shops along the route to see if they had one I could stop in to get pictures and measurements from.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts

I stand corrected! My apologies to the OP, best of luck with this project!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts