FN Herstal Firearms banner

Looking To Mod A Pack To Make It 2-Stage

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  SONYtec 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to mod a PS90 trigger pack to make it a 2-stage.

Is there any difference in the pack housings between the generations? In other words, if I come up with a solution to mod my pack housing (don't know what generation I got - it came on a used rifle), I'm trying to figure out if it will work for all packs, or do I need to come up with a solution for each generation of packs?

Also, is there a difference in the geometry of the secondary sear? I do not mean the auto sear that everyone is all uppity about, but I think it is called the secondary sear - the plain ordinary sear that releases the hammer when you pull the trigger?

I've read all 32 pages of this thread, but only see discussions directed at color, notch locations, hammer and autosear/safety. Very little about the secondary sear or housing.

#2 ·
Looking to mod a trigger pack to make it a 2-stage.

Is there any difference in the pack housings between the generations? In other words, if I come up with a solution to mod my pack housing (don't know what generation I got - it came on a used rifle), I'm trying to figure out if it will work for all packs, or do I need to come up with a solution for each generation of packs?

Also, is there a difference in the geometry of the secondary sear? I do not mean the auto sear that everyone is all uppity about, but I think it is called the secondary sear - the plain ordinary sear that releases the hammer when you pull the trigger?

I've read all 32 pages of this thread, but only see discussions directed at color, notch locations, hammer and autosear/safety. Very little about the secondary sear or housing.
No, the only differences in the PS90 packs are the removal of the auto sear in the Gen 4, a different hammer (higher cut notch) on the Gen 3, and a modified front (primary) sear on the Gen 2.1, Gen 3 and Gen 4 packs. The modified front (primary) sear has nothing to do with the SA operation of the hammer pack. The removal of the auto sear has nothing to do with the SA operation of the hammer pack. The higher cut hammer has nothing to do with the SA operation of the hammer pack.

PM me if you want a further explanation on the operation that these parts offer in the hammer packs.

#3 ·
Cool, thanks you answered my question. Any addition I do of a second stage will affect the interaction of the secondary sear and the pack. All the other nonsense up front is likely irrelevant.

Now the challenge is to make my mod a drop in, because no way will I go into the business of modding people's packs for them, nor does it seem there is an easy solution to buy new in any quantity. I'd love if I could get 100 packs from FN, mod them, and sell them ready to go .... although I guess it's worth asking FN the question.

#5 ·
I suspect that the hammer packs are undergoing another re-design to further prevent tampering and that is why they are not available at this time. While this is only a guess on my part as I have not heard anything official, I was in error last time there was a dry spell and the same may apply this time as well.

#4 ·
Well... Art that is a pretty profound venture... it is yet to be seen that FN will even be able to fill all their customers B/O pack requests....

#9 ·
Two stage PS90...

Waiting to see how this goes. :eek:

#13 ·
Actually, I have not heard of Bill Springfield, so I will google it.

Sat here staring at my trigger pack today .... I actually think I see how to make a drop-in piece to make this work. I think if I can get a day to myself in the next week to drive the Bridgeport, I might be able to whip up something.

On the subject of simplification - I think I have a Gen 3 pack, is there any harm in just removing the auto sear? Seems it does not do anything useful, but clutters up the pack. Also, a while ago I bought an aluminum hammer from someone here that I put in my FS2000 pack .... to the eye, and without disassembling the pack (which was a bltch to get together), it looks like the hammer is the same between the PS90 and the FS2000. Can I just swap?

#14 ·
is there any harm in just removing the auto sear?
No harm at all.

Seems it does not do anything useful, but clutters up the pack. Also, a while ago I bought an aluminum hammer from someone here that I put in my FS2000 pack .... to the eye, and without disassembling the pack (which was a bltch to get together), it looks like the hammer is the same between the PS90 and the FS2000. Can I just swap?
No. The hammers are different. They have different angles on the strike face, to start.

Reactions: ShootingSight
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.