FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have a two-tone FNS-9 I have yet to shoot. The gun seems well made but for the exception that mags seem really loose in the magwell. Doesn't seem to matter if they are loaded or not. Is this typical with these? I'm sure it will run fine, but of all the handguns I have owned, I don't recall any mags being this loose.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Is it a 9? if so, they might be FNX-9 mags which are slightly smaller than FNS-9 mags.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, 80 views and nobody can tell me if this is normal or not? They really rock around the mag well from front to back at the base. I doubt the factory mistakenly put wrong mags in the box, although I have no idea how to tell the difference between FNX and FNS magazines.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
It's not normal for them to be terribly loose. They should stay in there fine. If not, then you have an issue. The FNX mags are narrower as well.

Also, some peoples interpretation of 'loose' might be a bit different than others, and without actually handling the gun, it's hard to say if what you have is normal or not.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Premium Member
10,027 Posts
I can slightly wiggle the mags in my FNS-9. But really no more than I can in my other pistols. It's not loose at all.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would go to any LGS and handle an FNS-9 and check out the differences; Additionally, if you have a chance look at an FNX-9 magazine to see the differences. You should be able to view online pictures of magazines from online stores, forums, people selling magazines or pistols. If the pistol has FTF or FTE problems or the magazines can be pulled out with light force you may have an issue or the wrong magazines. Best of luck. Note: The FNS-9 has a break-in (wear-in) period 400-500 rounds it a good practice to use quality ammunition (brass with a strong charge fps/ft-lbs). Best of Luck. Note: pictures of your pistol and magazines would help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Well, I live in a small town in rural Nevada, so no large gun shops around here. But, I just pulled out my M&P full size 9 and it also has some movement front to back as does my little Glock 42. My Beretta 92's are all good and tight. I guess the biggest thing with the FNS is it has a knocking sound when I rock it back and forth, a real hollow sound. Whereas the mags in the other guns move, yet make no sound. Maybe I'm just being a little too critical. Looks like I should just get it outside, shoot it and forget about it............lol

Vulcan, thanks for the tips. Here is the only pic I have of it, but I'm sure it looks like any other.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine is about a year old with 300+ rounds and I just checked and there is some movement front to rear with a loaded mag in the gun. It is the same with all of the mags I have. Must be an FNS thing?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I own the FNX-40, FNX-45 Tactical, FNS-9L and FNX-9 and the pistols are listed by which pistol has the least movement when seated to most (FNX-9, smallest magazine). You have FNS magazines so if they are seated correctly in the pistol and there is a "knocking sound" then the pistol may have a defect (The mag-well is out of spec, too large). If the magazine is inserted but not seated then there should be some play. Feel free to PM or call me. I have a brand new holster for your FNS-9 if you need one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing I can do on mine to describe the "knock" sound, is hold the pistol upside down by the slide and frame and shake it back and forth. The mag "knocks" with every movement. Even though my M&P and Glock have some movement in the mag, it makes no noise when shaken this way. I suppose I could give FNH a call and see what they think. Like I said, I don't think there is anything seriously wrong with the pistol, just kind of odd. I would get it out and shoot it, but it's been too damn cold!

·
Registered
480 Posts
What you are doing is not how the pistol or any pistol is designed to be used so it is not an issue/problem. I was able to make a knocking sound with my FNS-9L and Glock 20SF (the Glock made a louder knocking sound) and this is normal. I could try all my pistols but I think that would be a waste of time. I would recommend that you go to the range and use the pistol per the owner's manual and enjoy (Note: 400-500 rnd break-in period; use quality ammo with a mid to high powder charge fps/ft-lbs). Do not use Winchester white box or budget (low/weak powder charge ammo fps/ft-lbs) until at least 700 rounds; this will prevent FTF, FTE problems during break-in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.