FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I ended up getting an FN bolt action gun - but one of the lower end model ones... What kinda group sizes could I expect. I know they have models guaranteed to do 1 MOA at 100 yards, but they cost a bit more than I want to spend...

·
Registered
11 Posts
SPR low end or PBR low end?

The SPR's are shooters out of the box.... theres a guy on gunbroker that sells them all day for $1199.00 FN SPR A1 24"

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the PBR - CDNN has a FN Patrol .308 Police patrol rifle for $859.63. I'm not gonna buy the rifle from CDNN, but I'm using that as an estimated price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont know but this guy is one of the cheapest FN guys you will find tanners guns

If I was just going to spend 800 or so I would pick the XP

80281246 this one is $650 FN PBR Patrol Rifle 308 18" 18" MB 20" 22" 24"

80135527 this one is $799 FN Patrol Bolt Rifle XP (PBR XP)

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so what group sizes can be expected with those at 100 yards?

I was thinking of getting one, but wanted to be the entry level one - whatever model I can get the cheapest. Something maybe for next year, but I was just doing some thinking...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry got carried away

Mine shoots .46 to .48 pretty much all the time I have shot a few in the .31
to .33

In laymens terms all 3 holes are touching and inside each other..

I have seen a PBR xp with close to the same groups

·
Registered
11 Posts
Price range is from $15.00 lower end to $40.00 high end match each box will have about 20 rounds in it...

Your bulk ammo or re-manu ammo, would not preform like the higher end match ammo

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn... Maybe I'll just get a 223 rifle then... That's too damn high for just 100 yard shots at the range. The damn 5.7 ammo is high enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My groups 300wsm SPR 1

First groups are 175smk's over R19

These are 240smk's over R19 still I think I would have to double check

And a few 175's at 300yards

and this is my girl

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was absolutely shocked by the 240 smk's performance at 100 I shot some at 300 but that was before shoulder op in august so mirage was murder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a PBR from Tanner Guns with the 24" barrel for $650. What a bargain as this turned out to be the most accurate rifle of this type I've ever owned. I put a Zeiss 6X scope in Talley Rings and the rifle will shoot quarter size groups all day at 100 yards with Federal Gold Medal Match. The overmolded Hogue stock is extremely comfortable and bedded very well. You can't go wrong with one of these rifles.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
i would love to get an fn rifle, it is on my to buy list :?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I tried three different loads in my FN PBR 20" rifle using a Leupold mark 4 3.5X10PR scope, I wanted to see what the rifle could do with more than just a three shot group. All shots were taken from 100yards from a prone position using a back pack as a rest. The temprature was 95F and there was little cross wind

168grain Federal Gold Medal Match 7 shots @ 100yards, used my first three shots as sighter shots.

168grain Hornady Match 10 shots @ 100 yards

168grain Black Hills Match 10 shots @ 100 yards

All in all i'd say my gun likes either the federal gmm or hornady match the best.

·
Registered
475 Posts
for those that are interested the rifle is bone stock except i had the trigger adjusted to 3lbs

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Cameron said:
FN PBR XP .308Win

I'm in love with that rifle...

That looks really nice. I've gotta get me one of those some day. What kind of scope is that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a PBR in 22" barrel from CDDN acouple weeks back. The groups are close to what the others have shown. I have had to much coffee to drink each time I have gone to the range. Makes for interesting groups. I paid $600.00 for mine and love it. I do wish I had the green Houge stock though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts