FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of folks asked what the differences are between the WWII M1 Carbine and the later copies that came out. So I did a comparison of what I have. A 1944 Underwood and a 1970's Universal. Universal made several changes to the design and all were bad. They use the same mags, the Universal has no bayo lug.

The Slide was redesigned to have a cut in it where the bolt lug can show thru. Very stupid, it just makes it easier for dirt to get into the action. The cut was also a weak place in the slide and many have cracked and broken and there are no spare parts to be found.

A view of the twin springs of the Universal, I guess they thought more was better. It's not, it adds parts to break and is a ***** to take apart and reassemble until you do it a few dozen times.

The WWII Carbine has one spring and it easily pops out and back in. The Universal has to have a cross oin removed that allows the two long rods to move back into the mag well thus allowing the springs to be removed. Now imagine putting them back in... you have to hold the rods forward, with a compressed spring around them while sliding the cross pin back into place. Real smart... try that in a muddy field in the cold rain.

The trigger group slides off toward the rear.

The trigger groups are very similar. That hammer spring is a serious ***** to get out and back in. This is the one place an improvement would have helped but they didn't change anything.

Major components.

The different gas block and piston designs. The Universal uses a pin to keep the piston in place, the WWII used a treaded nut. You can see the powder residue that leaks around the Universal piston. You can also see the pin at the back of the receiver that can be pushed in and acts as a "bolt hold open". The WWII models just used a catch on the charging handle part of the slide.

The far end of the gas blocks.

The same bolt tool works on both bolts... and YES, you want to own a bolt tool. Hours of swearing and crawling around on your hands and knees looking for the springs and bits can be avoided for $29.95. Ask me how I know.

The bolt redesign on the Universal includes a spring around the firing pin, I guess to stop an AD if the gun was dropped muzzle down. The tang on the WWII firing pin, when installed in the receiver, rides on a ledge that prevents the firing pin from moving forward unless the bolt is rotated at least 50% into battery. The Universal depends on a ledge on the back of the bolt to prevent the hammer from reaching the back of the firing pin unless the bolt is rotated. Both bolts have this ledge. I was unable to mke either gun pop a cap unless the bolts were at least 50% rotated.

Closer look at the pin used for holding the bolt open.

Closer look at the pistons.

Receiver markings, rear sights, scope mount holes in the Universal.

Side by side.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Excellent! Looked at a few Plainfield rifles and you can just tell a difference when you pick them up. In have a 1943 Inland. She is a grand ol’ dame!

·
Vendor
5,599 Posts
Great post on the diferences. I have the Universal and an Inland 1943. I found the magazine catch on the Universal very sloppy. Even with the mag locked in place most of them don't feed very well. I had to go through all my mags to find some that actually feed ok. I have looked at the new Auto-Ordnance M1 and it looks just like the original. I'm going to have to get me one of those. :?
http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_aom110_f.html

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. When did they start selling those? Do they have the same gas block as the WWII's?

If you decide to buy one, I'll order one too, maybe they will make us a better deal on two. :D

·
Vendor
5,599 Posts
They are hard to come by right now but they occasonally show up on Gun Broker for around $550.00 to $600.00. Auto-Ord was a sub contractor for the M1 durring WW2. These are exact copies with the same specs as the original. I tried to order one directly from them but they only go through their distributors. I'm saving my money and keeping an eye on Gun Broker. :eek:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Great, detailed comparison with pics, TA!

The FA models are priced at around $4,000.00 currently (used to be able to pick one up for @ $1,500.00 not too long ago).

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've decided to find a Plainfield and probably an Auto Ordnance if I can find a used one.

I've been looking at gunbroker but are there any other websites like gunbroker I can look at?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
I'd like to get a Plainfield just to have it. Maybe I'll run across a deal somewhere.

Maybe this one...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=81950161

Is he close to where you live?
About 2-1/2 3 hours away. Have you tried gun shows? Everytime I go to a show I find a Plainfield.

Also can you do a WTB post here?

and not to step on anybodies toe's but If you pm me I can give you a site that has posts for M1's.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CHICAGO TYPEWRITER: Have you tried gun shows? Everytime I go to a show I find a Plainfield.
Yeah, I usually only see Universals though. They are going for almost 500 bucks now. That is just crazy. I'll keep my eyes peeled this Saturday at the Houston show. Who knows!? :D

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts